20mm bolt through or QR- yeti carbon or Alloy!

GhallTN6
GhallTN6 Posts: 505
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I recently bought some Mavic xc 717 rims on XT hubs for my current short (full) suss bike, Now I've decided, what the hell, I'm gonna get myself a Yeti so I can get more adventurous.

So, do I just get a Fox 32 Talas RLC fork with Standard QR, using my existing wheels, or, do I go for another fork, like the rockshox pike with a 20mm axle, I'd have to get new wheels (or at the least new hubs).

The type or riding I do is XC, trails and hoping to do AM (alps), next year. I'm only 67kg's so quite light, but fairly aggressive rider.

Also, was well up for buying carbon rear for YETI, but after some reviews I'm thinking of going alloy.. opinions please?

Cheers
Grizz

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what Yeti?

what is the current fork....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    id definately recomend getting a bolt through fork, the increase in stiffness is monumental, something like a Revelation with maxle loght would be ideal! it really is worth the hassle/expence to get bolt through, in my opinion anyway. as for the carbon, well i camt really say as i have very little experiance with carbon bikes, nevermind a yeti! but id say its probably a good thing to go for, id imagine its a pretty good weight saving, but it weould be worth doing some more research!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    My current fork wouldn't be any good, it's 100mm.
    Yeti 575..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    GhallTN6 wrote:
    My current fork wouldn't be any good, it's 100mm.
    Yeti 575..

it might have been depending on the Yeti :wink:

but as you will be looking at a 160mm fork (max) maybe 150ush then a 20 or 15mm bolt through would be good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the new revelations over the pikes, i have a set of pikes, the air u-turn and they are pretty lardy, cannot imagine the revs feeling floppy or being weak in comparison, plus you can get the blackbox version for improved rebound damping.