Reforming the BBC...

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
My suggestions would be the scrapping of radios 1 and 2, the Asian Network and 1Xtra along with a further regionalisation of the local radio network. Radio five would lose it's 'news' content and become a sports channel, shutting down when there was no sports news or comment to broadcast. The BBC TV digital output would go as well, what is the point of BBC3? and shouldn't BBC2 be handling the BBC4 output?

Any more suggestions for trimming the fat?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Not sure why you'd shut down R1 and R2.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Cressers
    They are duplicated by commercial stations and have little to offer to the cultural life of the nation.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Cressers wrote:
    They are duplicated by commercial stations and have little to offer to the cultural life of the nation.

Hmmm that would be why milliions of people listen to those stations everyday.

Why not just abolish the BBC and be done with it?

Personally I appreciate the music on R1 & 2 and do not agree it is duplicated by commercial stations

I like the news content on R5 and I do watch BBC3 & 4, so why should your biggotted censorship prevent me watching the programmes I like.

Whatever happened to freedom of choice?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    It's a public broadcaster so has a responsibility to serve all sections of the community, not just those areas you happen to like.
  • Cressers
    Shouldn't the BBC be raising standards rather than dumbing down?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Cressers wrote:

+1, if not very many more!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Cressers wrote:
    Its only fat because you don't like it! BBC radio has seen improving audiences on many stations and have award winning programmes and presenters. Apart from the obviously high quality of its programming, the BBC is my preference because I simply cannot stand advertising on radio - its even worse than tv advertising.

My suspicion is that you dislike the BBC because you are not part of its core audience, and you feel more comfortable in the dumbed down world that is commercial radio.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Cressers wrote:

On that basis, as commercial firms produce natural history documentaries, you would also have the NHU shut down :roll: .

As stated earlier, R1 and R2 are two of the most listened-to stations in the UK, so although they may not be your cup of tea, they obviously suit a large number of people.

Back OT though, I guess I'd prefer to see fewer gameshows and digital channels broadcasting lots of repeats.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Cressers wrote:

Personally I can't stand commercial stations simply because I find the adverts incredibly annoying. TV ads are (sometimes) a bit cleverer and less painful to watch and in any case you can just go off and make a cuppa or whizz through them if you've recorded the programme. Radio ads are very basic forms of advertising and when you're sat in the car listening to the radio, there's no escaping them. For that reason if I listen to the radio I tend to listen to BBC stations.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Cressers wrote:

Personally I can't stand commercial stations simply because I find the adverts incredibly annoying. TV ads are (sometimes) a bit cleverer and less painful to watch and in any case you can just go off and make a cuppa or whizz through them if you've recorded the programme. Radio ads are very basic forms of advertising and when you're sat in the car listening to the radio, there's no escaping them. For that reason if I listen to the radio I tend to listen to BBC stations.
    Absolutely my feelings!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I would make Susanna Reid and Sian Williams wear much less during the breakfast news programe....like bikinis or something....
  • Sack Chris Moyles :P His voice draws my index finger to the seek button on my car radio
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Radio ads are very basic forms of advertising and when you're sat in the car listening to the radio, there's no escaping them.
    If I could ban just one thing from Planet Earth it would be radio adverts. In my old office we used to have a local radio station on and you could guarantee that every ten minutes you'd have to suffer some bloke screaming at you like his nuts were in a vice or some bint screeching like she was being bummed by an elephant. The only weapon at their disposal is volume and, by God, they use it...

softlad wrote:
    I would make Susanna Reid and Sian Williams wear much less during the breakfast news programe....like bikinis or something....
    I'm glad someone else said this. Not sure about Sian but Susanna Reid is slowly edging out Kirstie Allsopp in my Top Posh TV Totty list.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    some bint screeching like she was being bummed by an elephant.

I'd love to watch that.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    johnfinch wrote:
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    some bint screeching like she was being bummed by an elephant.

I'd love to watch that.

It won't be on the BBC though!
  • CHRISNOIR wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    I'm glad someone else said this. Not sure about Sian but Susanna Reid is slowly edging out Kirstie Allsopp in my Top Posh TV Totty list.
    Oh yes. She can definitely get me up in the morning! :D
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?
  • Cressers
    Well scrapping the Asian network and 6Music is a start...

...but already the 6Music listeners are rising from their nests of empty pizza boxes in protest... Stand firm for quality BBC!
  • radio 4 brilliant,

Lots of variety,

one of my favourite programs is Womens Hour :oops:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2010
    I love 6 music. I don't want it to go.

Why not reduce some of the BBC pay packets and continue supplying a service that is diverse and quality ?

Does the BBC not make money selling programmes to other countries ?
  • spen666 wrote:
    Hmmm that would be why milliions of people listen to those stations everyday.

Why not just abolish the BBC and be done with it?

Personally I appreciate the music on R1 & 2 and do not agree it is duplicated by commercial stations

I like the news content on R5 and I do watch BBC3 & 4, so why should your biggotted censorship prevent me watching the programmes I like.

Whatever happened to freedom of choice?

Agree with you 100%. This "review" has Rupert Murdoch written all over it!!!! Do you think it's a coinicidence that at the same time as James Murdoch (son of the bastard) is complaining about how unfair the free web content of the BBC is to other networks, this "review" comes up? It makes me sick!! :evil:
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    BBC Radio is, in my judgment, a fabulously successful example of Public service broadcasting. One of the characteristics of public service radio that I cherish, is that it should and can cater for diverse minority interests; in contrast, commercial broadcasting must chase the largest group, which effectively means "lowest common denominator". I still can hardly believe that Radios 3 and 4 exist, so beautifully eccentric and unbuffed by "focus-grouping" are they. 6Music is great also, I think.

BBC TV seems a bit more confused, to me – but still a thousand times better than the alternatives. It's particularly depressing how Channel 4 has rotted away. Didn't they have some kind of remit toward innovative/arts programming, initially?
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Cressers wrote:
    what is the point of BBC3?

Err...

BEING HUMAN

only like the best thing on the BBC since like ever*

*well maybe as well as 'How the Earth made us' & 'strictly'
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I've just recent started listening to Radio 6 Music, I've never really gone further than BBC 1 because for some reason I always thought of them as only having really, really, really, REALLY old music on and stuff like classical. But it's really good, got a good varied amount of music, MUCH less waffling than BBC1 and none of the trash BBC1 sometimes has on. I do like Essential Mix though.

BBC1 does my head in sometimes, dunno what one of the presenters is called, but he waffles on about some stupid stuff, I think the last thing he was going on about is he was thinking about buying a greyhound, to race, and to sit in the studio. He sounds like the dumbest fcuk on earth tbh.
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    In my house Mrs W cant understand why How Earth Made Us, Coast and The incredible Human Journey (with Dr Alice roberts - it does help my viewing!) are on the planner. Its this sort of programme that BBC does well in my opinion. ITV doesnt make anything similar as far as i can tell.

The BBC will and has always produced telly that mainstream channels cant compete with. I dont particularly like Strictly but if people watch it then they are never going to bin it. ITV has its place as does channel 4.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Shut down 'News 24' ,resist any move to "reality TV" and give up on DAB (moving the stations to FM is need be) and your pretty much done with reviewing the BBC for the next 5 years.

It's easy to decry the BBC until you go to live in a country that doesn't have it and actually see where TV ends up without something like the BBC around. Imagine if ITV was your bastion of high quality TV :shock: Reality TV is just the tip of a non-BBC iceberg. 24 hour rolling news is a terrible idea. It's a drain on resources, has to repeat the same tiny titbit of news over and over again blowing it ot of all proportion and prevents journalists actually being able to do some investigating as they instead have to give the same interview over and over again, all for no actual gain. If you want the news, go listen to Radio 4 on the hour. In less than 5 minutes you have everything you need.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Cressers wrote:
    My suggestions would be the scrapping of radios 1 and 2, the Asian Network and 1Xtra along with a further regionalisation of the local radio network. Radio five would lose it's 'news' content and become a sports channel, shutting down when there was no sports news or comment to broadcast. The BBC TV digital output would go as well, what is the point of BBC3? and shouldn't BBC2 be handling the BBC4 output?

Shut it down.

-Spider-
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Melt Chris Moyles down and make candles out of him. Lose Chris Evans, Ferne Cotton, Sarah Cox, Reggie wotshisname.

Do more intelligent programming and less pointless DJ rambling.

Oh, and replace Radio 3 with "Radio freewheel", the station for cyclists, playing uplifting tunes to commute/race/TT/MTB to. All DJs have to be fit chicks in Lycra shorts (I know we wouldn't know, but we could imagine).
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Radio6 Music is quality and should definitely remain. I have no idea what 1Xtra is for and it seems a big chunk of its output is replicated on Radio1.

Personally I'd bin BBC3 for sure, what a waste of space. I can't actually get BBC4 anymore so have no idea if I'm missing out, but I suspect not, but then they have shown "A Sunday in Hell", so for that alone we should all let them off :D
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    eh wrote:
    I have no idea what 1Xtra is for and it seems a big chunk of its output is replicated on Radio1.

I Xtra is, apparently, the home of 'black' music. I thought music was music. I had no idea different stations had different coloured music, or music for different ethnic groups.

Perhaps that's why 1 Iglu never took off, the market for Eskimo music must have been quite small.