Registry repair software!

xtreem
xtreem Posts: 2,965
edited October 2009 in The Crudcatcher
After having some problems with error messages appearing at every new tab in Opera,
I fixed using Registry Mechanic, well I fixed the first 6 errors, because that's how much
the Trial version allows but I've fixed around 1800 with the Free Window Registry Reapir.

But still the Reg. Mechanic detects 800 errors, from the original 1200 before the Free one was run.

The question:
Do you know any free registry repair software that is good,
or should I download the cracked Registry Mechanic?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Honestly, I've never known a registry fixer to do much good. If there's registry corruption, then there's something screwey on your system, and chances are, this wouldn't be the first cracked software you've got.

Weren't you on here recently explaining why you were using a cracked XP disk?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    As above. Registry cleaners are bound to flag "problems" and "errors" to justify their existence. Registry cleaners on the whole are bollocks and if you can't fix the problem manually by yourself then stay away from the registry. It's a tough but simple rule that works every time.
  • xtreem
    Weren't you on here recently explaining why you were using a cracked XP disk?
    Aha, I was that guy.
    And btw, the XP at my friend is still rocking after one month... :lol:

So as you guys say, rule No.1
    Stay away from registry.

No.2
    If you do have a problem only then use some registry repair tool.

No.3
    If that doesn't work back up all your data and format.
  • Anonymous
    sounds like your XP is fu*ked right royally to me. And rightly so.
  • xtreem
    Well I do get this message all the time:

svchost-application-error.jpg

If I press OK, the whole PC freezes, press Cancel and say goodbye to sound in internet
    browsers. So I leave it just like that, not pressing anything, at the bottom of the screen.

But hey I found a solution on the net, will try that one tommorow, to remove it.
  • Anonymous
    You want a better solution? get a legit copy of your OS. If you want a free OS, then try running some Linux derivative like Ubuntu.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    how about another 'free' OS. Dead impressed with Ubuntu these days and you're not stealing from anyone.

You ride your own bike?
  • xtreem
    Sorry but as I said in the previous topic I'm pretty limited in programs in Linux,
    so I will instal it when I start buying online, hopefully this winter/spring if I get accepted for schoolarship.

And yes I ride my bike, 1 year and 3 months, 2500km.
    60cm bunnyhop, 10-20m manual, 130deg endo, 4 rear wheel hops for now, can wheelie for miles. :D

Hey don't know if the Registry repair did this but now the songs from Jet Audio can be
    seen whole with it's name and artist on the main msn live window unlike before just in
    the discussing window. :mrgreen:
  • blister pus
    Xtreem wrote:
    Well I do get this message all the time:

svchost-application-error.jpg

If I press OK, the whole PC freezes, press Cancel and say goodbye to sound in internet
    browsers. So I leave it just like that, not pressing anything, at the bottom of the screen.

But hey I found a solution on the net, will try that one tommorow, to remove it.

You're in a dilemma with this if it's the index.dat long url problem (the generated error). There was a hot fix for that and that requires you to use Windows Update to get the fix. And that means you'll need WGA authentication. So unless you've somehow managed to get SP3 on it, which encompasses the fix, then you might well be struggling.
  • xtreem
    XP SP2 here... :|

Btw, blister pus except from biking what do you do for work?
    Because even with my diploma in computer and information technology
    I'll will still know sh!t about computers. :(
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Try ccleaner google it.
  • xtreem
    Thanks, will consider it in the future if I have more problems.
  • blister pus
    Xtreem wrote:
    XP SP2 here... :|
    Provided you've got a genuine copy installed on the machine then you won't have any problems if the error requires a hot fix from Windows Update. Make sure you're fully upo to date there and see if the error persists.
    Xtreem wrote:
    Btw, blister pus except from biking what do you do for work?
    Because even with my diploma in computer and information technology
    I'll will still know sh!t about computers. :(
    I've worked in virtually all the main IT fields at one point or other over the years. At the moment I troubleshoot and consult for business while keeping my hand in at grass roots with individual home clients. Don't know how long I'll persist doing that side of it but it's working out on several fronts atm from a regaining perspective and hunger angle. ......etc etc etc, blah blah blah.
  • blister pus
    CCleaner is one of the few 'cleaners' that actually knows what it's doing and can be trusted, even the registry cleaner part of it isn't overly aggressive. It's a useful tool to have in the armoury.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ccleaner's very good. But it's probably not going to fix this.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Xtreem wrote:
    Sorry but as I said in the previous topic I'm pretty limited in programs in Linux,
    Tough sh*t. There's a ton of programms I'd like to use, but since they cost megabucks, I don't have them.
    Don;t try to justify yourself, you thieving piece of sh*t. Do you do smash and grabs of big screen TVs and bike parts because you'll "buy them when you can" as well?
  • blister pus
    I think the box he's on atm has a genuine copy on it.
  • Anonymous
    IIRC, he's on about photoshop, which ne nicked off his mate. By the grace of god, he's managed to activate it.
  • xtreem
    Tough sh*t. There's a ton of programms I'd like to use, but since they cost megabucks, I don't have them.
    Don;t try to justify yourself, you thieving piece of sh*t. Do you do smash and grabs of big screen TVs and bike parts because you'll "buy them when you can" as well?
    Try living with an average salary of £200 per month and paying the same prices for
    computers, bike parts(feck, they are even more expencive overhere), cars, unlike living
    with an average of £2000. Will see if you can afford for legal copy of OS, games,
    movies, antivirus/spyware and another 100 programs. :shock:

And I don't steal bike parts, see my bike, it's the same as on the picture, except for new pedals (bought). :lol:

Will see what I can do for that error message, and will use it CCleaner from now. :)
  • blister pus
    Xtreem wrote:
    Try living with an average salary of £200 per month and paying the same prices for
    computers, bike parts(feck, they are even more expencive overhere), cars, unlike living
    with an average of £2000. Will see if you can afford for legal copy of OS, games,
    movies, antivirus/spyware and another 100 programs. :shock:

And I don't steal bike parts, see my bike, it's the same as on the picture, except for new pedals (bought). :lol:

Will see what I can do for that error message, and will use it CCleaner from now. :)

Just remember, all you need is a dirt cheap genuine OEM copy of Windows and you can find good solid free / open source replacements for everything else. ...apart from games.
  • Anonymous
    Just cause you can't afford something doesn't mean you have the right to steal it.
  • Download Gimp, it's a free program that is almost identical to Photoshop.

Plus, it's called Gimp! ;D

I agree with yeehaa though, you're not justifying yourself at all. Just because you don't earn enough doesn't give someone the right to get an illegal copy. save up, that's what I have to do. Maybe if you stole your bike parts, then you could afford to buy software.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have worked in the IT industry for more than 10 years.....

I have yet to see one of these so-called registry fixers actually work.

I have yet to see a hooky install of anything do so cleanly. There are always un-expected things included in the package.

We actually did some testing on a hooky copy of photoshop, against a real one. basically watched what files it insalled and changes it made to any system files.

I can whole heartedly recommend NOT installing any hooky siftware! It was pretty scary really. way to kill a machine. back your files off it and re-build with a genuine OS.

and +1 for the gimp instead of photoshop.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • xtreem
    Ok, ok.
    I'm guilty. :(

So I've solved the svchost.exe error message by the instructions here. :D

And I don't use Photoshop.

And I didn't stole my bike, parts. :shock:
    Are you insane? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Insane? No. People keep suggesting that I am though.
  • xtreem
    Well we don't know in which condition you came back to Earth from the Moon. :lol::wink:
    The air is very thin there.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Just cause you can't afford something doesn't mean you have the right to steal it.

Agreed, I live on a salary of about £300 per calendar month and I guarantee I have more outgoings than you, yet it doesn't give me the right to steal does it?

Theres no excuse and you can't laugh your way out of it.
  • Is there any good free reg cleaner around. People here say go with reg easy.

http://fixexe.com/best-5-registry-fix-and-repair-tools/

What do you guys say. Should I get it or leave it a lone or try to find freeware registry cleaner? :roll:
  • http://www.osalt.com/

This site lists a ton of commercial programs and gives you free versions available on linux. Worth using if you go down the linux path (rather than using a cracked OS)...I suggest Ubuntu
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy