Commuting jacket and tights

peanut1978
peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
are altura night vision the only way to go on both of these?

Comments

• I have just got a Gore Phantom and it is easily the best bit of cycle clothing i have bought after the padded bib shorts.

Chris
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Looks like it depends how hard you ride, given the responses I got:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12659146

I did have a look at both the waterproof and softshell today - neither had as much reflective as I thought they would, and the waterproof was very similar to my Nevis jacket - way too warm for anything but a gentle ride.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Just ordered the Nightvision tights for riding in darkest winter. Haven't got them yet but I'm assuming they'll be too warm for the current weather but won't know until I get them. Review to follow...
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • peanut1978
    peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
    Should probably have added that I live just North of Inverness, and I am commuting home at 7pm, so pitch black and fairly cold.
    Usually average about 18mph on commute (with rucksack, over undulating route)
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    peanut1978 wrote:
    Should probably have added that I live just North of Inverness, and I am commuting home at 7pm, so pitch black and fairly cold.
    Usually average about 18mph on commute (with rucksack, over undulating route)

I'd still say the Nightvision jacket will be too warm for you - also why get a nightvision if you're going to cover up the reflective with a rucksack anyway?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • plonk
    plonk Posts: 37
    Hi Peanut,

I do a very similar commute to you at the same mph, and i've found the nightvision softshell was a really good buy. Granted i'm glad to take it off at the end of my 10 mile commute, even on the chilliest of days, but it lights me up like a christmas tree and it's not too unbearably hot with just a base layer underneath. The rucksack doesnt cover the majority of the reflective bits.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I also have the Altura Night Vision and it still not worn it this winter. Its simply not cold enough, temperatures under 10 degrees and then its wearable, above 10 degrees and you cook in the thing.I have several other jackets and they are far better suited to the warmer temperatures.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • I purchased the new Endura Venturi II jacket and find that pretty good although it is pretty expensive.

The Altura NightVision was my 1st choice but the fit of it for a non-midget is slightly less flattering than the cut of the Endura stuff.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • I purchased the new Endura Venturi II jacket and find that pretty good although it is pretty expensive.

The Altura NightVision was my 1st choice but the fit of it for a non-midget is slightly less flattering than the cut of the Endura stuff.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."