getting a planet x

chrishumes
chrishumes Posts: 227
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
right guys, after searching the forum for hours and hours ive picked the planet x as I wanted to spend approx £1000 on a road bike. been to see them, and this is what im gunna get.........anyone reckon i need to change anything?

used for commuting and road use on a weekend

im going for the standard spec.......

medium, 42 bars, 110 stem (all sized by ray @ planet x
b wheels
gp2009 tyres
172 cranks, compact
12-25 cassette
ultegra 6700 pedals

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    What GP tyres are they....?

Good choice though - gotta be the best value bikes at the moment.
  • Conti Grand Prix 700*24mm 2009,

just hope it is worth it really!
  • abr1966
    abr1966 Posts: 54
    Sounds a fair deal to me...i recently got one that is the alu frame with Alpina forks, mixture of 105 and tiagra, been lots of dabate on here about them but i'm really happy with what I got and haven't looked back!
  • Received my Planet X bike two weeks ago - you will not be disappointed! I had Oval Concepts bars and seatpost, Easton stem, Fizik saddle and Novatec J3 wheels fitted when built up. Been using it almost daily ever since and delighted with performance. Coming from a MTB background, the weight lost and speed gained was noticeable.

Hope you enjoy the bike - the blokes at Planet X are also really quick to answer back if you have any queries.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I got my p-x Dura Ace build (DA shifters and mechs, FSA chainset, Tektro brakes) last September - the bike has been brill, I liked the P-X saddle, bars and stem very good, but had trouble with the Alu P-X seatpost corroding and starting to seize in the frame, I suggest you upgrade to a carbon one (ideally at time of purchase), this electrolytic reaction is a known problem with alu posts in carbon frames.

Tektro brakes fine, but I fitted koolstop pads.

I got the carbon bottle cages - perfect, worth the £ IMHO.

The model B wheels are superb, light weight and very strong.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    alfablue wrote:

Are you still using your Model B's? Have you had any flex with yours?

Since i installed some new pads and re aligned my brakes, when I ride out of the saddle I can feel the wheel rubbing.
  • jamsop
    jamsop Posts: 51
    chrishumes wrote:
    right guys, after searching the forum for hours and hours ive picked the planet x as I wanted to spend approx £1000 on a road bike. been to see them, and this is what im gunna get.........anyone reckon i need to change anything?

used for commuting and road use on a weekend

im going for the standard spec.......

medium, 42 bars, 110 stem (all sized by ray @ planet x
    b wheels
    gp2009 tyres
    172 cranks, compact
    12-25 cassette
    ultegra 6700 pedals

How tall are you? Just wondering since they sized it up for you.
  • alfablue
    NWLondoner wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Are you still using your Model B's? Have you had any flex with yours?

Since i installed some new pads and re aligned my brakes, when I ride out of the saddle I can feel the wheel rubbing.

Yes, after 1 year use and 2000 miles, the rear wheel flexes on hills, only noticeable if the brakes are very tightly adjusted. It isn't any way a problem as yet, but I will fettle when it is.

I was so impressed with the model B's that I bought another set for my g/f's Trek 1.2 when P-X had them on sale for £99, they were about 1kg lighter than the stock wheels!

She has toured in Tuscany and Holland with panniers and camping gear this year and the wheels have held up perfectly (when conventional wisdom says you need 36 spokes not 20/24) - these wheels are impressive!
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Had my P-X about 2 weeks, love it!
    If you had it sized shouldn't be any probs.
    Got mine with a 120mm stem after numerous bike fit charts an so on, but felt too stretched, have since changed to a 100mm, an what a difference!
    My set up probably looks really wierd, but the bottom line is I feel way more comfortable.

Anyone know the difference between "model B an C" wheels?
    Finished
  • alfablue
    I think Model C have 32 spokes rather than 20/24 of the B's, though (see above) the B's have stood up to loaded touring! (Probably shouldn't have used them for this, but we did).
  • What's the frame like? I know they have very well specced groupsets for the equivalent money for other manufacturer's bikes...is there an economy made in the quality of the frame?
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • alfablue
    What's the frame like? I know they have very well specced groupsets for the equivalent money for other manufacturer's bikes...is there an economy made in the quality of the frame?
    This is the subject of some disagreement on this forum, however in my opinion the frame is great, the bike rides well, its very lively, it appears to be well made and finished. It is a generic far eastern frame made in the same factories as branded frames, it is used on Massi bikes and some others (at more cost). There is some criticism of a lack of stiffness in the BB area - I haven't found this, I am heavy and like attacking hills and it feels stiff to me. There are also criticisms from an aesthetic point of view because of the very compact geometry, again, not an issue for me. The compact geometry also means that the small version of the frame only has space for one bottle cage. C+ have given the bike 9/10 even with a £1700 build, so my £999 DA/FSA build must be 11/10. There are some bike snobs (and/or people who are resentful because they paid twice the price and oiks like me can now afford carbon etc) who hate the thing for various emotional reasons (wait till AC Madone gets started!).
  • alfablue wrote:
    I got my p-x Dura Ace build (DA shifters and mechs, FSA chainset, Tektro brakes) last September - the bike has been brill, I liked the P-X saddle, bars and stem very good, but had trouble with the Alu P-X seatpost corroding and starting to seize in the frame, I suggest you upgrade to a carbon one (ideally at time of purchase), this electrolytic reaction is a known problem with alu posts in carbon frames.

Tektro brakes fine, but I fitted koolstop pads.

I got the carbon bottle cages - perfect, worth the £ IMHO.

Not 100% sure of the planet x carbon seatpost. The seat rails are held in place by two alloy "wedges" - its difficult to explain but they have cut outs whithin which the rails nestle. The wedges are corrugated on the outside. the bottom one sits on the seat post indentation which has similar grooves. - I have found its very very fiddly to set up.
    - the indentations for seat rails are too close together - these needed filing (to vaguelly fit the rails of a selle italia. (presumably these are standard width?)
    -the grooves in the carbon seatpost didn't match the alloy ones and dont fit snugly until the bolts are done up catch 22 though - in that the bolts wont reach the nuts until the clamp is closed

have no idea what the torque should be on the rear bolts - anyone ?

-
  • alfablue
    Sorry, I have no experience of the P-X carbon post, I swapped my alloy P-X post for a Pro-Lite one - very pleased with it.
  • im 5'10", medium was spot on.

your right when you say the bike doesnt quite look the best, the top tube seems to slope alot more than other bikes. but from all the write ups on here, i dont think i can go wrong.

prob go for the carbon seat post.....cost is going up and up!
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    I have a PX SL carbon pro in pink size large with full DA build and Ksyrium SL's with Pro3's have to say it is a great bike. Never used the Model B wheels, my mate had probs with the soft metal on the freewheel being chewed by the cassette requiring a LBS and scaffold type poles as a lever! The Model B's seemed nice light wheels but I had concerns about longevity especially bearing seals, loose spokes etc, which again my mate has suffered, they are a good price though!

As for the ride it is awesome very lightweight, climbs really well and descends well staying planted. Have had lots of poitives about the colour! Matches the Rapha gear nicely though (I know I am a sucker)

It is the only bike I have not really 'blinged up' as the Planet X alloy bars and stem are light and do a good job, may go for a carbon post though as and when.

IMHO it is worth every penny and having ridden and currently own a fair few bikes it gets a big thumbs up from me.

Having seen the new '10 S -Works roubaix (?) in my LBS for £5.5K with identical 7900 DA I am at a loss as to how other manufacturers can charge 5x's as much (did have the Dura Ace CL wheels)? Mind you spending on Colnago's are another story :P

I am a shade over 6' and the Large size is a great fit
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • alfablue
    Flanners1 wrote:
    I have a PX SL carbon pro in pink size large with full DA build and Ksyrium SL's with Pro3's have to say it is a great bike. Never used the Model B wheels, my mate had probs with the soft metal on the freewheel being chewed by the cassette requiring a LBS and scaffold type poles as a lever! The Model B's seemed nice light wheels but I had concerns about longevity especially bearing seals, loose spokes etc, which again my mate has suffered, they are a good price though!
    The 2008 model B wheels were 9/10 speed meaning the splines on the freehub body were short and as they are aluminium, the cassette (if 10 speed) could cut into them. The 2009 model B's have a 10 speed specific freehub with taller splines and there is no such problem. I have done 2k miles on them in all weathers, no problems with seals or loose spokes, they are the smoothest hubs I have ever used, and the weight cannot be beaten in a sub £300 wheelset.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Models B's have not been fitted with flexatan so strengthen them yet. Ask for it, it is fairly new. :wink:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Do the Model Bs have the same freewheel chewing problem with Campag, or was it just shimano groupsets with that problem?

And are the 2009 models 11 speed compatible or just 10 speed?
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    alfablue wrote:
    Flanners1 wrote:
    The 2008 model B wheels were 9/10 speed meaning the splines on the freehub body were short and as they are aluminium, the cassette (if 10 speed) could cut into them. The 2009 model B's have a 10 speed specific freehub with taller splines and there is no such problem. I have done 2k miles on them in all weathers, no problems with seals or loose spokes, they are the smoothest hubs I have ever used, and the weight cannot be beaten in a sub £300 wheelset.

Oh well I flogged 'em and got the SL's which are lovely, hope they have changed the freehub splines as they were sub standard really.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • alfablue
    Do the Model Bs have the same freewheel chewing problem with Campag, or was it just shimano groupsets with that problem?

And are the 2009 models 11 speed compatible or just 10 speed?

I don't know if it applies to campag. The issue with shimano is that the 10 speed freehubs and cassettes have taller splines, the old Planet-X 9 speed freehub has shorter splines and if you fit a 10 speed cassette then there is a gap above the splines and the potential for chewing - a problem with all such alloy freehubs used with 10 speed. The current Planet-X freehub is 10 speed only, so there is no problem. Shimano 9 speed freehubs are steel so don't suffer from chewing. I think a lockring that is too loosely fastened can contribute to the problem too. There are solutions, such as inserting panel pins or similar through 2 or 3 holes in the middle cassette rings, or American Classic make some clips that do this.

Anyway, the problem is resolved with the 10 speed only freehubs now.

I don't think Campag is designed the same way but others will know better.