James May's Toy Stories.

Penylope
Penylope Posts: 320
edited October 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Did anybody see this last night? 8) Best program i have watched in absolutely ages, and looking at the bbc website it looks like it will be a cracking series, cant wait :!:

Giant model train set, Scalextric racing against a real car, full size working Lego house..... 8)

Any body who missed it iplayer
MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
Other, Genesis Croix De Fer

Comments

• it as very good you could tell he just wanted to push all the kids away and do it on his own he is going to build a house out of lego and like in it for a while how cool is that
    if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun
  • I watched it with my lad, he's eight, we were in the model shop at 9 o'clock this morning to buy an Airfix model Spitfire. It's now finished 80% his work, and sitting on the dresser.

He used to make the Revell snap together Star Wars kits last year, so he is not a complete model making virgin.

It is so hard not to take over, when you see the glue/paint going everywhere. He did ask me to help with the transfers, and I did encourage him to put all the pieces on, even the really fiddly bits.

All in all a good few hours of father son quality time. Roll on Thursday evening when I'm taking him for a Night Ride.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Brilliant TV show. There's something eminently likeable about James May as a presenter, especially when he's talking about things like toys. He comes across as an everyday bloke, and not some preened, scripted TV presenting clone.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I think is because you can tell he genuinely loves the toys/planes he talking about it and it comes across well. He doesn't try and sell his programs with loads of BS, just good old fashioned enthusiasm for the subject. You could tell he had dreamt about flying a spitfire and how much it ment to him.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    realy good show cant wait to see what he will e doing next.
  • i thought it was great
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    It was great. Made me want to go buy some airfix but have spent all my cash on bike stuff :lol:

The lego house looks great, can't wait for it
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    bugger... missed it. will have to check it out on iplayer
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    My name is Splottboy, and I'm a modelaholic....
    Well, I was in the late 60's/70's.

Had 'em all, Spitfires, Hurricanes, ships, tanks, Muscle cars. They are addictive.
    Used to buy them in Pengelly's, Splott Road, then Bud Morgans in Castle Arcade.

I hadn't made 1 for years, then when my kids were small, bought some saying they were for them! Mrs fell for it, LOL!
    Got the Stealth fighter.

Lusting after SR71 Blackbird.
    "Dear Santa, I've been a Very Good Boy..."
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    When's the one where he makes a full sized Barbie doll and tries to shag it?
  • Great programme!
    Can't wait for the rest to come :D
  • Shire
    Shire Posts: 59
    Just watched this on i-player, fantastic TV

May's enthusiasm shines through, he really is a top bloke!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Cough, cough, torrents :roll:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    it was good last time i made airfix i got glue on everything

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    redvee wrote:
    Cough, cough, torrents :roll:
    Why, when you can get it on i-player?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Really good program, I had that slightly sore feeling you get in your face when you've been smiling for too long :lol:

Was anyone else going CARBON FIBRE! Use carbon fibre not rubbish chopped weave fibreglass and massive steel beams? Or was that just me?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Northwind wrote:
    Was anyone else going CARBON FIBRE! Use carbon fibre not rubbish chopped weave fibreglass and massive steel beams? Or was that just me?

:lol: Yep! And ALUMINIUM! Why are you using steel?!

It was a great programme though, I bet there was a big spike in sales of Airfix kits the next day :lol: