Difference between 49mm and 57mm drop brakes

Stellite
Stellite Posts: 544
edited October 2009 in Workshop
I hope you dont think im a muppet but I have a charge plug, and I am fitting drop handle bars to it rather than the cow horn type it came with so I can use it over the winter.

I have purchased Shimano R600 levers, and was also thinking about upgrading the brake callipers.

The callipers fitted are Tektro R536 57mm drop. I was looking at fitting Shimano R650 callipers which also have 57mm drop.

I take it that the drop is lust the length of the calliper arm?

The bike is also fitted with Alex Rims DM18, and are 700C

Thanks

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    57mm is the distance from the caliper pivot/hole in the frame to the centre of the brake block bolt at full extension.

So, in simple terms, normal roadie brakes have a range of vertical adjustment from 39mm to 49mm, whereas the deep drops go from 39 to 57mm.

If 57mm isn't enough there are some super deep drop calipers out there too, which drop more than 60mm.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Stellite
    Thanks, that was what I was thinking after measuring the Tektros against the Ultegras on my road bike.

Ill get the Shimanos ordered

Thanks again
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I have Shimano R650 brakes on my audax bike and they are good. The only issue I have had with mine is that the small grub screw for centering the brake was so tight that I rounded off both front and rear the first time I fitted them.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Stellite
    Ill keep an eye out for that, cheers