Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper HT frame

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
I'm interested in the above aluminium frame, as seen here:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... t-ec020317

I currently have a 23-in frame 2002 Rockhopper which I've upgraded over the years with lots of new components and am now thinking of upgrading the frame. I currently have a 130 mm Rockshox Recon Air fork and am wondering how this frame will handle with a 130 mm fork. Anyone got any experience/comments?
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    No it wont, at least not very well. That frame is for 80-100mm. I'm surprised you haven't killed the rockhopper yet with that on. Try a long travel hardtail frame or get a new fork as well.
  • DaveyL
    Thanks for the advice. The Rockhopper is actually fine with that fork - feels very solid and not at all twitchy. My mate had a similar travel fork on an Inbred though and it was all over the shop.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • The S-Works frame is in no way meant to be used with a +100mm fork. It's a thouroughbred race frame, and as such has a geometry and tolerances to suit.

You would almost certainly ruin it's handling/feel and would put your warranty in danger running 130mm on it. That's just not what it's meant for.

You want to run 80-100mm MAX on that frame.

If not get a frame that suits a 130mm fork.
  • DaveyL
    Thanks for the tips - looks like it's a new 90-100 mm fork for me :-)
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:
    Thanks for the tips - looks like it's a new 90-100 mm fork for me :-)

Check out Merlin cycles.... they have some great deals on at the moment. I got my SID race there (2009) for £270!! :wink: