What is the point of these mudguards?

2»

Comments

• The Bomber was kind of the first MTB type bike here in the UK wasn't it?

I seem to remember them being huge, but I was only small at the time.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I think the Raleigh Maverick was the 1st of it's type, then the bomber came out after.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I think thats whats drawing me into building a fully rigid light trail bike. There was some fun to be had back then, saying that I'm a lot older now and my decrepid carcass probably wouldn't take the beating from rigids :lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    i must confess to owning a Raleigh Lizard when i was an ankle biter with about a million kellogs reflectors (All green to match the Raleigh Lizard obviously!)

Not forgetting the obligatory Spokey dokeys and a playing card jammed between the wheel to make the 'clack clack' nosie

A couple of my rich mates had that bike on the picture, and wow, we were all impressed at the time!
  • JCJC
    JCJC Posts: 162
    scale20 wrote:
    Ah, I knew that your bike reminded me of something! :P
    0.jpg

What a blast from the past, my mate had one of those when we were kids, we all thought he was the bollox :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah - I had always wanted one of those kits when I was a kid ! ! ! !
  • drabfurs
    drabfurs Posts: 188
    My first bike was a yellow Boxer, remember them? :lol: It had a great front break and I used to pedal down the small hill of my road, hit the front brake and go flying over the handles bars onto the grass.Ps I was only about 5 or 6. My brother had a chopper at the time, was well jealous. Then he got Diamondback silverstreak which was about £500 then 20 years ago......I got a Piranha...prob the heaviest BMX ever. Think I got the raw end of the deal until I was handed down the silverstreak.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Update on this, It's broke after 2 weeks of use. I will not be getting another one, although It did do well at stopping mud It seems a little to flimsy, I did kind of get use to the way It looked but there were still times when I thought Is a little odd.

I will stick to the normal crud, It's done me ok for enough years.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Neoguard does the same job and looks considerably less gash.

As does an innertube ziptied onto your fork
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    Sarnian wrote:
    Would that be Kellogs spokey dokey things?

hello :D 8) 8)

pbpic4017744.jpg

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    scale20 wrote:
    I have the latest editions of WMB, MBUK and Singletrack and its not on there. Never seen one before :roll:

Steve peat had one on when he won, and he is now on all the covers with the guard.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • saltyman
    saltyman Posts: 472
    31102009142.jpg

i tried my fast fender out at kielder forest on saturday, very muddy in places, and it kept most of it off.........i always thought a frame mounted guard would be best, but off road the front guard is superb.

still not sure on the looks mind........i got mine for free of my mate as he stuck it on his hardtail and didnt like the looks, so of it came without being used!
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy