Compact Inner Chainring Strife

chriskempton
chriskempton Posts: 1,245
edited October 2009 in Workshop
Apologies in advance this is messy....

Last year, I bought a Strongight 5083 (cheap!) 36T ring to replace the 34T inner ring on my Shimano R700 compact chainset. It seemingly worked okay at first, but the chain would sometimes come adrift between the two chainrings, leaving me spinning and going nowhere.

On closer inspection, the Stronglight inner has a bevel on both sides of the chainring, whereas the original Shimano is bevelled only on the outer (from the spider) side, and therefore places the teeth nearer the spider. Conclusion from that is that the Stronglight ring is therefore not designed to work as an inner on my cranks.

I asked the shop I bought the ring from about it but they weren't aware of the issue and thought it should work fine. :roll:

Does anyone know what 36T inner ring will have a one sided bevel and work on a 110BCD Shimano Compact?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Stronglight CT2 should work.

Are you it's a 10speed Chainring you bought originally?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Thanks RD I'll see where I can look at a CT2 in the flesh.

Bloody hell they're not cheap though :shock:
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I have had this trouble with the chain not engaging in between rings and mine is staight forward Campag Centaur. I never found out what caused it but it could have been the KMC chain. I now use a Record chain with no problems. Also, check the front mech is travelling inwards far enough and that you are pushing it all the way
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    That or get doing some squats to not need your inner ring. much cheaper. (or move to norfolk)