Sweat, sweat and more sweat

afcbian
afcbian Posts: 424
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I sweat a lot from my head on any ride I go on and while this is in essence a good thing, I am having dificulty in finding a helmet that helps.
I originally had an old MET helmet with average venting which I used to sweat from my head profusely. To the extent that the front forehead pad quickly got saturated and sweat would then run down my face for most of the ride.
Due to being an old git I shave my head with clippers so have virtually no hair. I thought a new helmet would help so I have upgraded to a Specialized Echelon for my road bike and now have got a Giro Phase for my MTB.
But this has made little or no difference.

Just to give an example, last nights ride, offroad, 21 miles at good pace. By the time I got home my helmet padding and the straps were as wet as if you had soaked them in the bath and sweat had been running down my face all night..
If I don't wear a helmet them problem is sorted but clearly this is not really an option.

I was hoping the new helmets would aid airflow and stop this.
I ride therefore I am

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I have a similar problem - it's called hyperperspiration. I sweat like Michael Jackson's doctor in a Los Angeles police station at the thoughts of physical effort and I end up ringing wet at the end of any ride, no matter what the weather's like or what I wear.

I've found Giro helmets to be the best for airflow. In summer I just wear it "au naturelle" but in winter I usually add a cotton bandana underneath.

Make sure that you get a helmet with removable pads and wash them regularly. Infected sweat rash on your forehead isn't pretty...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I am folically challenged :D and sweat a lot I find wearing a buff helps loads, also good for not getting sunburn through the vents In the summer and keeping your head and ears warm In the winter, as well as offering a little bit of protection from bee/wasp stings (3 times this year)
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i am also a naturally sweaty person, as soon as i do excercise of the temp gets above 15 degrees i look like i just got out of a river :( i have a fox flux and find it vents really well but i'll still sweat no matter what so i just keep my riding stuff clean so it wont stink/ become a bacteria farm

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Just this second finished washing the strapping and pads out of my helmet and wiping it out with a few anti bacterial wipes. It's a chore, but as above, the stench otherwise just isn't bearable. It's truly vile and follows you about. Decent vented helmet can work wonders though.
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    I suffer from this aswell and found a Buff ok but to turn it into a cap I found I always had a bit of a knot where it was twisted and stopped my helmet from sitting down properly. Probably just me as I'm crap at doing the different styles with a Buff. They are great for the neck though.
    I prefer one of these which is Merino wool so not too bad when the weather is milder but great when its cold and even wet (stays warm). Its about the same thickness as a Buff aswell. Came back from a ride on Saturday morning and I could see all the moisture glistening on the outside of the cloth where it had wick'd away from my head :? http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Accessories/Rho-LTW-Beanie
  • Jenks66
    Jenks66 Posts: 96
    I have the exact same problem, no hair and sweat a lot. Tried different helmets etc but to no avail the only thing I have found that helps me are Halo Head bands.

http://store.haloheadband.com/PROTEX_BANDANNAS_s/10.htm

A totally brilliant and extremely effective item that has reduces the sweat running down my face dramatically.

I use the Bandana as it covers the whole head and is easier to get your helmet to fit, you may need to remove the helmets existing foam if it is a tight fit already!

Currently using a Giro Zen which is hotter than my old Giro and occasionally get a drip from the front of my helmet on a hot day but it is not running down my face any more.

I have had no issues ordering from them in the states and they are very helpful, I believe there are now suppliers in the UK now.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I sweat like billy-o too mate.

Got a Giro Xen, but it makes no odds. I've found a buff helps keep it out of your eyes and I also press the front of the lid to my head to squeeze the sweat out - nice!

If I wear wet-weather gear, I sweat all over in a big way, so I get wet anyway!

I just soak stuff in detrgent overnight in a bucket before washing......
  • afcbian
    edited October 2009
    deleted
    I ride therefore I am
  • afcbian
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    I also press the front of the lid to my head to squeeze the sweat out - nice!

That's the one. Looks soooo attractive

What do you guys do to wash the straps of the helmet ? The pads are easy enough to take out and wash. I was just going to wash them insitu with hot water and biological powder say once every couple of weeks

I like the idea of the headband thingy............might have to invest
    I ride therefore I am
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    If I do a full wash I get the washing up bowl fill it with tepid water and float the helmet on it, turn it over and get some anti bacterial hand wash gel and rub it into the strapping and if the padding or front head band is bad I'll take that out and do the same. Turn the lid back over and rinse the strapping out and smell it, repeat if necessary. Get a clean cloth put some anti bacterial hand wash on it and wipe out the helmet, rinse. Squeeze and drip dry over night.

That kinda thing, takes 5 minutes when I'm in the routine. And do it after every couple of rides.
  • pypdjl
    pypdjl Posts: 52
    You need one of these...

http://www.sweatgutr.com/
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I use a sweatband under my helmet to soak up most of the sweat & stop it dripping down my face. Simples.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    A Spesh 2D certainly helped the sweat (also a near baldy) as do decent wicking clothes.

I wash the pads but never washed the straps - does that mean I'm a rank scuzza?!
  • As mentioned above you need a skull cap thingy. Hair is a natural sweat evaporation system, as you are folically challenged you need extra assistance. I use a Nike Dri-Fit cap which soaks up the sweat and evapourates it quickly.
    Parkpre Pro Elite 94 - Parkpre Pro Image 94 - Parkpre Team 925 SS 94 - Parkpre Pro 825 95 - Marin Mount Vision Hotrod 97 - Specialized Rockhopper 98 - Trek SL1000 07 - Rocky Mountain Vertex 50 09
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    The Giro animas is a very well vented helmet, infact i find it pretty cold for the winter, a good piece of kit for stopping the sweat is an endura skullcap, may be a little warm for the summer months but does the job to keep the sweat in.

As for washing the pads, I put mine in one of those little mesh bags you get with the washing tablets and throw it in the machine, does the job a treat. Never washed my straps though, spose I should eh?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    I find clamping a desk fan to my stem helps. Power it from a dynamo, before anyone asks. Was going to upgrade to the new dyson fan but I'm worried expensive componentry might make me a target for bike thieves.
  • afcbian
    wordnumb wrote:
    I find clamping a desk fan to my stem helps. Power it from a dynamo, before anyone asks. Was going to upgrade to the new dyson fan but I'm worried expensive componentry might make me a target for bike thieves.

Comedy genius :D
    I ride therefore I am
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I nver realised they sold things for the sparsly covered cranium.

At least now the wife'll stop complaining when I empty a helmet full of sweat on the kitchen floor.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Jenks66
    Jenks66 Posts: 96
    Hate to go on about it but the great thing about the Halo Headband is the thin strip of waterproof strip that catches any potential dribbles and directs away from your face even when saturated if you wear it correctly

I dont work for them or market their product honest just think it is brilliantly simple and effective

Honest