Munich and Bavaria

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited November 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hope to do a small tour in the area next Spring..(linking it to a visit to Oberammergau).Does anyone know any must see towns,villages or other sights worth a visit.in Bavaria.Is Munich itself a good place to see and cycle around?.Thanks
jc

Comments

• Definately Schwangau
    09 Black Spesh Enduro Comp SL
  • jc4lab
    Thanks.Noticed its on the Romantic Road.(heard of but know nothing about it).Its looking good already...Also if anyone knows...Are there any months which make up a thunderstorm season..in Bavaria?
    jc
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Read up on Ludwig II and then go and see all of his mad castles. They are great.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• BE1
    BE1 Posts: 27
    +1 for all the above. The castles are just off the Romantic route and are at the very edge of the Bavarian alps. If you visit try and get ther early as they get very busy.
  • jc4lab
    Thanks..did German at school and have always a fondness for the Place...Hope to link it tto a visit to see the passionplky at Oberamergau that comes every ten years..then Maybe hang around in Munich and watch Englkand beat the Germans in the world cup..Should be a good trip
    jc
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    If you've got the legs, try Berchtesgaden and Koenigsee. Then there's Salzburg. The landscape between Munich and Berchtesgadener land is generally rolling, and really pleasant. There's a great little lake between Salzburg and Berchtesgaden called the Thumsee. It;s small, but has a lido and is a great place to relax, and, of course, have a beer. I wouldn't much bother going into Austria, we've been a couple of times, and it just isn;t as good as Germany.

There is an excellent route I plan on doing some day - the Konstance - Koenigsee route. I've done a bit of research, and it looks lovely. It follows the Alps, but doesn;t climb into them. The only thing is, I can;t get the flights.

Gute Fahrt.