Wearing ear plugs

twowheelthrill
twowheelthrill Posts: 59
edited July 2018 in Road beginners
I'm getting problems with my ears ringing after being on the road. I'm thinking of getting some ear plugs to offset this problem, but am concerned that I won't be able to hear vehicles coming from behind.

Is there anything out there to help us cyclists protect our ears?

Thanks.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Try the ear plugs that Boots sell for air travel. They're not designed to cut out sound, just to soften the pressure change during take off and landing. These might help with the air rushing past your ears. They only cost a couple of quid, so it's worth a try.

I wouldnt' try the type of ear plugs designed for deadening sound (like you get in B&Q etc) as you won't be able to hear oncomming traffic properly.

Cheers......... Matt
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Speedo sell plugs that stop water getting in but still enable some sound to get through, worth a go to see if it works for you on the road.
    2009 Kona Zing - second ever racer and follows my 5 speed downshifters Raleigh Milk Race of 1987ish :-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stop riding and sell your bike. :wink:
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Use a Buff, pulled down over ears.

I assume you do this to avoid earache from wind?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    your ears shouldn't ring like that after a road ride - it's not normal. I would go see your GP.....
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Turn down your ipod a bit.

Can't say wearing earplugs can be a great idea. sounds like a cruisin for an ear infection to me.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    No just a silly idea.
    Wind noise can be harmful.. every motorcyclist is advised to wear ear plugs prevent hearing damage.
    It is not such a crirical problem on a bike but can depend if the individual is sensitive to wind rush.

Ear plugs stop you hearing ....?? Not really... but if you are worried, then some severely hearing impaired friends of mine who also cycle must be a danger to themselves and others!!!
    Guess what guys.... they LOOK with their eyes!!!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    softlad wrote:
    your ears shouldn't ring like that after a road ride - it's not normal. I would go see your GP.....
    No, its not normal,you may have an infection or something and ear plugs will only make it worse, as softlad says go to the GP, AND GOOD LUCK.
    Ademort :wink:
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Just a decent sized skull cap underneath the helmet keeps your ears warm as well. Might do the trick ....
  • Admittedly I've never worn earplugs on a bike, but I have in loud music venues where, as an acoustic musician, I've had to protect my hearing. The fear of not hearing something because you're wearing plugs is unfounded. The ones I have, Elacin ER20, reduce sound levels pretty evenly across the range of audible frequencies, and surprisingly, it is actually easier to hear what someone says to you while there's a guitar solo with the volume on 11 going on, because everything is ~20dB quieter and your hearing is more ''relaxed''. Professional orchestral musicians use them and they don't seem to find themselves ambushed by trombones stealthily rumbling up behind them - and if you can wear them in an orchestral environment where you need to hear all the voicings of the ensemble, then you're not going to miss peripheral noises.

Though I must say I've just spent a good half-hour looking for my plugs without success: I was intending to take them out for a ride but I've obviously put them somewhere sensible and there seems to be an infinite number of sensible places in my small flat! B*gger it!
  • Hi

Just found this thread and wondered if the ear plugs did the job?

Im glad to hear that Im not the only one that has problem with wind noise- my ears could be ringing for a few hours after a ride (even in normal conditions).
    I thought it may have been my large ears catching the wind, but even when I wear a buff under my helmet I never notice any improvement.

Been looking online for solutions and came across http://www.windrushgear.com/index.php/site/activity/cycling/ which look promising and I may ask Santa for one. Anyone had any joy with these or alternative solutions?

THanks
    House
  • So what earplugs is good for motorcycle riding?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are you sure you're on the right kind of forum ? It's an interesting first post.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    So what earplugs is good for motorcycle riding?

The sound deadening, foam kind - but it's entirely different.
    Lots of wind and engine noise on a motorcycle, so you're not as reliant on your ears for listening to traffic. On a bicycle I would strongly advise against anyone wearing anything that impeded their hearing.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    So what earplugs is good for motorcycle riding?
    I just use the disposable foam ones. It's mainly to cut out the wind noise at highway speeds, I can still hear traffic around me especially at lower speeds and easily listen to the music from my Sena helmet system's inbuilt speakers.

Never worn earplugs on the bike. Surely unless you're hammering into a stiff headwind or flying downhill at 50mph the wind noise shouldn't be enough to cause damage? Haven't heard of any deaf ex-pro cyclists.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Wear a headband - pull it over your ears

some choices here

https://www.tredz.co.uk/cycling-headbands-headwear

I don't want to alarm you but you might want to book in for a hearing test. The ringing can be tinitus and sometimes is a sign of hearing loss. One theory you are not hearing sounds you used to and the ringing is brain trying to work WTF is going on.

I had this - the headbands helped - but not as much as wearing a hearing aid (i don't wear the aid when I cycle)
  • kingrollo
    I am not convinced myself but I read somewhere that cyclist should stop relying on hearing when cycling as electric cars and buses are getting quieter - you should be looking
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've been thinking about this for a while, wind roar on my commute is very loud, especially at high speed/into a head wind. I did a bit of googling a while back and found an article by a cycling doctor that showed the wind noise at normal cycling speeds is enough to damage hearing, it was only a single experiment though so not 100% conclusive, but it does match my thoughts.

I've got a couple of different pairs of vented earplugs that I use for drumming that I keep meaning to experiment with I think they'd probably be the best because they don't stick out of your ears and they just tone down the loud noises, you can still 'hear' fine.

edit to add links

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/listen- ... ring-loss/

https://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov/h ... n-cyclists

http://www.health.com/news/now-hear-win ... t-cyclists
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    kingrollo wrote:
    I am not convinced myself but I read somewhere that cyclist should stop relying on hearing when cycling as electric cars and buses are getting quieter - you should be looking

I think using both is probably better.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Just google earplugs there are lots of makes out there, they'll do the job, you will still be able to hear but obviously you wont be quite as aware of the noise of approaching vehicles. If you wear a helmet you can get things to attach to the straps to deflect the wind noise, if you don't wear a helmet then the wind noise isn't quite so bad anyway.

I don't wear earplugs cycling but I do have damaged hearing and slight tinnitus so if you feel you need them wear them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I wear a headband below 16 degrees to avoid ear ache, don't stop me hearing what's going on but dampens the whistling and cooling effect.
  • darkhairedlord
    You can buy little spoilers that fit on the straps to deflect wind around the ears. I think they're called cats ears or something. Try googling pussy flaps.
  • kingrollo wrote:

Not doubt I'll be berated for this but I have to agree. Electric cars are here to stay and we should stop relying on sound all together.

I can only speak for myself but whenever I hear a vehicle approaching me from behind there is no way I can tell if it will pass me with two inches to spare or twenty inches to spare. So there's no way I'll ever know if I'm about to die, with or without ear plugs/headphones/woolly hat etc.

I ALWAYS look behind before I move to my right, even by a few inches. I guess this heightened self preservation comes from years of riding motorbikes rather than just driving cars like most other people.
  • kingrollo
    Just google earplugs there are lots of makes out there, they'll do the job, you will still be able to hear but obviously you wont be quite as aware of the noise of approaching vehicles. If you wear a helmet you can get things to attach to the straps to deflect the wind noise, if you don't wear a helmet then the wind noise isn't quite so bad anyway.

I don't wear earplugs cycling but I do have damaged hearing and slight tinnitus so if you feel you need them wear them.

Not tried it myself but I have heard good reports from putting a twist in you helmet straps - apparently its the straps what generate the noise .....worth a try
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Stick your fingers in your ears.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I take it no one has noticed this is a 9 year old thread?

The OP has probably contracted some obscure ear condition and stopped riding by now.
  • I was suffering a hearing problem for not using right earplugs. I never think about earplugs before but now I feel the necessity of it.
  • darkhairedlord
    It depends how much of a wing nut you are.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    You can buy little spoilers that fit on the straps to deflect wind around the ears. I think they're called cats ears or something. Try googling pussy flaps.

Cheers DHL, that turned out to be one of my more rewarding afternoons on line (until the Mrs came home and caught me!)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)