What's a good average speed ??

Ricey77
Ricey77 Posts: 92
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
I have had a ride bike now for 6 months,thanks to the Tax man and the CTW Scheme, and absolutely loving it. Riding about 3 times a week, about 25 miles each time, more for pleasure than breaking any speed records, and to loose a little weight.
My question is this, what is a decent average speed ?? I am currently averaging around 16mph around the hilly North Devon roads.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    24mph
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    Open ended question mate! I do a few rides, hilly, flat, a mixture of both. I can average 17-18mph one day and be down to 14-15 the next. Wind, cold, how you feel, all effect your average speed. I wouldn't get hung up on it just enjoy the ride.
    dave :wink:
  • Ricey77
    24mph

Jeez !! A way to go then !! :lol:
  • I'd say that 16mph over hilly terrain for an hour-and-a-half or so ain't too shabby at all, especialy if you're not really giving it death. The 'absolutely loving it' bit is the main thing though!
  • Ricey77
    skinson wrote:
    Open ended question mate! I do a few rides, hilly, flat, a mixture of both. I can average 17-18mph one day and be down to 14-15 the next. Wind, cold, how you feel, all effect your average speed. I wouldn't get hung up on it just enjoy the ride.
    dave :wink:

Good plan ! I've tried upping the pace for rides. but i end up not enjoying them. Perhaps it will come the more i ride ??
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    A good average is about 23/24mph, but your in your first year so 16mph is a good start. Im averaging that now and ive been riding since Jan this year so your doing well so far. Mind you I was overwight and extremely unfit when I started :)
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Ricey77
    Gav888 wrote:
    A good average is about 23/24mph, but your in your first year so 16mph is a good start. Im averaging that now and ive been riding since Jan this year so your doing well so far. Mind you I was overwight and extremely unfit when I started :)

The same as me then !! :lol::lol:
    I have now lost 12 pounds and stopped smoking too, should have done it years ago !! :D
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Riding solo - anything between 15 - 20 depending on terrain. Those who say they average more need to re-cailbrate their computers, or sign up for the SKY pro tour team.
  • Gav888
    Ive got a HRM on order, cannot wait to get it so I can start training properly to be honest.... :)

At the moment I have no idea if im going too hard or not hard enough....
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    A good average is about 23/24mph

IMO that's unrealistically fast. I've never averaged that in my life, especially if you take into account a warm up/ cool down and 'normal' roads with all that that means.
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    inseine wrote:

IMO that's unrealistically fast. I've never averaged that in my life, especially if you take into account a warm up/ cool down and 'normal' roads with all that that means.

I think he was trying to be funny/sarcastic.
  • Gav888
    cheehee wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Didnt work did it..... :oops:

Those are more pro level speeds to be honest, I guess for someone riding solo 20mph is a good speed to aim for...
  • inseine

Well, you were. i just didn't read it in the right way :)

Mind you I probably have the same response regarding 20mph!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Gav888 wrote:

Those are more pro level speeds to be honest, I guess for someone riding solo 20mph is a good speed to aim for...

in Suffolk perhaps....but if you can average 20mph around here, you should be thinking about turning pro. The fastest time in the local Preseli Angel sportive this year was 17mph over 85 miles - and that was a stunningly good average, given the route profile.....
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I would say 18mph is pretty decent.
    Once there, target 20mph.

If you get over 20mph consider competing! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    Knowing the Woolacombe area fairly well I'd be more than happy with a 16mph average for that sort of distance.

Take the comments about 20mph and above averages with a pinch of salt. Other than racing in time trials I don't think I've ever averaged above 20mph on a solo ride lasting more than an hour.
  • redddraggon
    I thought the question was "What's A Good Average Speed ??"

Are we saying over 20mph is not good?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • A good average speed can be defined as one that's a wee bit better than your last time out.

But 16mph is very good for starters.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513

you're right - strictly speaking..... ;)
  • inseine

I think the question implies 'what is the minimum average speed concidered to be good'.
    If you asked me what was a good fuel consumption for a car and I said 100mpg I wouldn't be wrong. Stricktly speaking....... :wink:
  • 16 or 17mph isn't a bad average spped at all if you are riding alone around Devon. When we go out on the club run on Sundays we are averaging 19-21mph. 16mph ain't shabby at all.
    History will be kind to me for i intend to write it!

Fortune Favours the Bold!
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    This question pops up every few weeks, and is impossible to answer.
    Terrain, wind, gearing, clothing, age, fitness, how well you are feeling can all make a huge difference.
    My "average" vears between 16-17 (high) and 15 (low), but I'm certainly not a fast rider by any stroke of imagination.
    My knees hurt !
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I find that my average speed tends to be around 17-18mph when I'm out riding on my own. This is on a reasonably hilly route.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    The world seems full of people averaging 26-30km/h

I wonder where they all are?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • redddraggon

To be fair, I managed 16.2mph average through North Wales before I had the flu, and I'm rubbish.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mididoctors

To be fair, I managed 16.2mph average through North Wales before I had the flu, and I'm rubbish.

:wink:

80% of the riders in a 100Km sportive can't maintain 25kph...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • redddraggon

Perhaps slow people don't post on forums or too embarrassed to?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • mididoctors

Perhaps slow people don't post on forums or too embarrassed to?

yeah I'm sure that must be it,,,
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited October 2009

I regularly average 18-20 mph over a 20 mile circuit and I am definately no racer.

I recently did the Caledonian Etape route at 15.8 mph (25.3kph) over 87 miles (140k).
    And that was taking it easy to pace myself. 8)
    I am 47 years old and at over 14 stone, easilly one stone overweight.

These figures should be easilly achievable for any regular cyclist on a decent bike.

Which raises the point. All the fast speeds quoted will be on a road bike.
    I struggle to get 16mph average on my mountain bike on the road. :cry:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    100km sportives are for beginners though, so you'd expect that.

I'd post my average speeds, but i'm far too modest to show you how awesome I am.