A perfect morning

big_scot_nanny
big_scot_nanny Posts: 99
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Just wanted to write a quick note to share just how much I bloody love MTBing.

Why this morning was fab:
1) Took a holiday, so no need for freezing cold cycle to office in the dark
2) Got to ride with my son to nursery (he on runner bike, me fully kitted up), chatting all the way about random stuff (todays topic: 'daddy? Where to leaves go once they fall off trees?' fabulous chat!)
3) Once dropped off the boy, went for a spin round the familiar trails of local forest (1hr)
4) Weather was stunning: crisp, cold, a bit misty in the valleys, sunny.. hard to put into words, wish I was a poet!
5) Trails were in perfect condition, a bit sticky but no real mud
6) Autumn colours were stunning
7) Bike was perfection (08 stumpy FSR), running silently like a dream

The last point is especially important since I stacked it fantastically on a night ride on Friday with mates, and everything was knocked out of kilter (gears, brakes). Fettled last night, tuned suspension again, cleaned transmission and sorted wonky front wheel. perfect.

Just a really favourite morning, now having lunch with wife and wee daughter. :D top banana. Felt the need to share! (sorry no pics, didn't have camera with me!)

Comments

• bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    Just wanted to write a quick note to share just how much I bloody love MTBing.

Why this morning was fab:
    1) Took a holiday, so no need for freezing cold cycle to office in the dark
    2) Got to ride with my son to nursery (he on runner bike, me fully kitted up), chatting all the way about random stuff (todays topic: 'daddy? Where to leaves go once they fall off trees?' fabulous chat!)
    3) Once dropped off the boy, went for a spin round the familiar trails of local forest (1hr)
    4) Weather was stunning: crisp, cold, a bit misty in the valleys, sunny.. hard to put into words, wish I was a poet!
    5) Trails were in perfect condition, a bit sticky but no real mud
    6) Autumn colours were stunning
    7) Bike was perfection (08 stumpy FSR), running silently like a dream

The last point is especially important since I stacked it fantastically on a night ride on Friday with mates, and everything was knocked out of kilter (gears, brakes). Fettled last night, tuned suspension again, cleaned transmission and sorted wonky front wheel. perfect.

Just a really favourite morning, now having lunch with wife and wee daughter. :D top banana. Felt the need to share! (sorry no pics, didn't have camera with me!)

b*stard. now i'm even more miserable about being at work. thanks alot... :evil:

:wink:
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Arne't the conversations you have with kids so fooked up? My 3 year old daughter asks me some right random questions, Like 'why don't trees go in at night?' WTF :lol::lol:

Nice description there of your ride, can just picture it. 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Just wanted to share my own "I bloody love MTBing" moment from last weekend. Had been battling against the wind, rain and slippery rocks at Stanage in the Peaks for a couple of hours when the sun came out and I enjoyed a halelujah moment:...

4049891562_504b3e6819.jpg
    4049891566_5b3e001e59.jpg
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    BazQuirk wrote:
    Just wanted to share my own "I bloody love MTBing" moment from last weekend. Had been battling against the wind, rain and slippery rocks at Stanage in the Peaks for a couple of hours when the sun came out and I enjoyed a halelujah moment:...

That second photo is absolutely EPIC!! What camera if you don't mind me asking?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • BazQuirk
    that last pic is now my wallpaer a realy good pic !
  • @big_scot_nanny - If you ain't got pics then it didn't happen I'm sorry, forum law :)

Sounds class mate, one of the things I love about Autumn is using up the odd unused holiday days and blasting about nice quiet trails in perfect weather.

'08 Kona Cowan, Sunrise Big Mammoth Fat rims, Marzocchi DJ fork, Avid BB5 brakes
  • dave_hill wrote:
    What camera if you don't mind me asking?
    Nothing fancy, only a Pentax Optio S. I was just lucky I guess.

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm well chuffed!

By the way, if anyone wants the full-size image it's on Flickr
  • youve got t love kids on bikes! my littlun onm the preschool route if she's on her bikes she's so funny! Daddy, If i Squeeze my brakes i stop look! and then she p[rompty crashed head on into the fence!!
    love having to explain why leaves fall off tree's!

have to say, Autumn in the woods on the trails the light picks up all the colours so well, especially when the trees are in the half fallen stage! and Love the trails where they look wet but roll so fast!

Spring and Autumn cycling are my fav's i think!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Baz, great catch. What a fantastic moment and I can imagine how that would light up a ride. Wish I had my camera!

Dan, I think it was better because it was a 'stolen' morning, not supposed to happen. Even was quite nice to have this one to myself just quietly spinning along. 8)

The kids are a hoot, allthegearnoidea has it bang on. The boy at the weekend took a rather abitious running jump at a swing, shouting 'Superman'. he hit the seat swung up and promtply flew off the end landing on his chin. He was dead proud of the resultant bruise and scrape marks however. :D

Going to pick him up soon, and I got him some wee lights for his bike so should be a fun ride home. I will of course do the competitive dad bit and have my full night riding kit blasting away beside him. :twisted:

I am becoming MY father.... noooooooooooooooo :lol:
  • Just wanted to let you know that following the positive feedback from dave_hill, fourcrossjohn & big_scot_nanny on my photos above, I sent the second one to BBC Look North and they used it at the start of their evening weather report last night!

Fame at last :lol: Thanks guys.
  • nice one baz! i've often sent in some of the stormy sea's pics ive taken to the beeb!! never had your success though!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    BazQuirk wrote:
    Just wanted to let you know that following the positive feedback from dave_hill, fourcrossjohn & big_scot_nanny on my photos above, I sent the second one to BBC Look North and they used it at the start of their evening weather report last night!

top effort bazquirk. it really was a stunning image :P
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    BazQuirk wrote:
    Just wanted to let you know that following the positive feedback from dave_hill, fourcrossjohn & big_scot_nanny on my photos above, I sent the second one to BBC Look North and they used it at the start of their evening weather report last night!

It really is a stunning photo - as a bit of an amateur photographer myself it's moments like that which you can wait an age for and never see. Did you doctor it in any way? The only reason I ask is that the sky is in such vivid contrast to the rest of it it almost doesn't look "real"!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:
    BazQuirk wrote:

It really is a stunning photo - as a bit of an amateur photographer myself it's moments like that which you can wait an age for and never see. Did you doctor it in any way? The only reason I ask is that the sky is in such vivid contrast to the rest of it it almost doesn't look "real"!!

I'm sure Baz will answer, but I would guess no, just a beautiful capture of uniquely british light.

Baz, top effort my man, and good on you for actually doing something with the photo! Even more cooly, and I may be wrong here, but based on the shadows you may actually have been 'Looking North' when taking the shot. It was meant to be Baz!

Kev
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    riding one of my fave local spots the other day and it was epic, trail eas in perfct condition, covered in a very thin layer of orange pine needels, it was epic! i had one of those "this is what its all about" moments
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Sorry Kev but yes, the image was altered. I clicked the 'Auto Correct' button in MS Office Picture Manager which definately altered the contrast and beefed up the browns.

I hadn't made the 'look north' association - good one! Like you say, simply one of those 'right place, right time' moments. Again, thanks all for the comments.
  • BazQuirk wrote:
    Sorry Kev but yes, the image was altered. I clicked the 'Auto Correct' button in MS Office Picture Manager which definately altered the contrast and beefed up the browns.

ha! :lol: