Washing lycra

Ollieda
Ollieda Posts: 1,010
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Whats the best way to wash your lycra? I was told by a friend when I first got some that you can't put it in the washing machine as it will get damaged so you have to hand wash it/soak it. So I've been doing that up until now, but I find it doesn't really get them clean, especially if ive gone and got chain lube on a bit of it!

So I put my jersey, shorts, tuba grip (the little cylindrical compression bandage you get from boots - note, not lycra)and a compression top (lycra) I use for my shoulder in the washing machine today (note it was only these 3 items so clearly not overloaded!). When I went to collect them the 3 lycra items had little rips all over them, it looks like little threads of lycra have got snagged and pulled out, shorts im not that bothered but the top is totally ruined! The tuba grip was fine however.

Is this really what happens when you put lycra in the washing machine or is this just a one of? My girlfriend seems to think its the zip on my jersey thats done the damage but I don't see how it could have, its even got a bit of rubber over the toggle bit of the zip. Also, why is it just the lycra, the tuba grip was fine!!!!!

As you can imagine im fuming!!!!! I'm going to test the washing machine with a cheap pull over from primarni to see if the washing machine is at fault.

Does anyone else have any experience of this happening?

Comments

• archaeo
    archaeo Posts: 231
    Never had a problem - i just wash all my kit at 30 degrees with a non bio liquid (we have that for the kids anyway) - but no conditioner though as that knackers it
    What do you mean I\'m in the wrong gear?
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    All my stuff goes in the washing machine on a 30 degree delicate cycle, low speed spin (800rpm) - never had a problem. Turn everything inside out, make sure all zips are fastened and use non bio powder and leave out the fabric softner. The one thing that does kill Lycra is if you put anything in with velcro on (mitts etc).
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm going to chime in with no problems also. If I have to hand wash something it doesn't get bought in the first place. No special treatment, although I don't put my cycling stuff in the dryer(hang it up). Not even sure why I do that.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    no special treatment at all, one of my housemates is a rower so has a LOT of lycra, we do our kit washes together. Exclusively lycra and never had any issues at all, even including the tumble dryer.
  • dennisn
    no special treatment at all, one of my housemates is a rower so has a LOT of lycra, we do our kit washes together. Exclusively lycra and never had any issues at all, even including the tumble dryer.

I'm gonna change my ways. What the h*ll am I doing hanging all that stuff up to dry when
    I'm drying everything else in my "wardrobe" with no ill effects? "ride_whenever" you've changed my life. Well, sort of. :wink::wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Mine all goes in at 40 degrees, no problem and has lasted years. I've even chucked it in the tumble dryer by mistake before - the lycra was fine but the chamois was a bit stiff!
  • 30 degrees, half load. No fabric softener. And in a wee bag thing. :D

I think Assos give you a wee bag thing too. I just want to pretend I have Assos gear. :oops:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I put all my stuff in at 40 degs, no problem.
    The only 'exception' I make, is for my Assos shorts... I put them in the little laundry bag supplied with the bibs (they always fall out during the wash!) :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    40 deg
    1600 rpm..and then tumble dry
    No problems
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    40 degrees, fast spin and fabric softner too. Never had a problem and all cycling gear just gets thrown in with everything else.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    the mystery deepens........

just got my "test" was primark pullover out of the wash and its fine, im getting really annoyed now! why has this happened, my fav jersey aswell! :cry:
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I put all my lycra in the wash basket, and then it ends up in the wardrobe clean and fresh.

Thanks missus :wink:
  • Slow Downcp
    White Line wrote:
    30 degrees, half load. No fabric softener. And in a wee bag thing. :D

I think Assos give you a wee bag thing too. I just want to pretend I have Assos gear. :oops:

I don't use the washbags that I got with my Assos stuff - wanna buy some, £10 each? :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I used to be fussy but now I just toss it all in (got enough to do an exclusive bike load once a week) and then put it in the dryer on low.

No problems with any of it - 4 pairs of shorts at the moment and none show any effects - Assos or cheaper.

The main thing to watch for is making sure there's nothing with velcro in there too - I did that once and it can make a bit of a mess of things - more likely a jersey than straight lycra though.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    SheffSimon wrote:
    I put all my lycra in the wash basket, and then it ends up in the wardrobe clean and fresh.

Thanks missus :wink:

I was starting to get worried at how many of us are an expert on washing - glad to see there are still real men among us! :lol:
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    I stopped tumble dryong cycle kit after a STW thread and now my gear does not pong anymore, it used to stink if I tumble dried it for some reason?! Air drying is the way to go!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    What exactly does fabric softener alledgedly do to lycra?

I've been washing all my cycling stuff with fabric softener for years and its had no ill effects as far as I can tell.
    More problems but still living....
  • dennisn
    I just have to ask. How could washing be more harmful to your shorts than the abuse
    they take while riding? To be honest I've been using a pair of shorts I've had for years
    on my trainer and hundreds of "no special care taken" washing and they are still hanging in there AND they were just a sort of cheap pair. Granted I only wear them for an hour or so but still.......
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    yours doesn't have this label then:

4923237_48e82ebdad.jpg
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Fabric Softner can wreck stitching
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Steve_b77 wrote:

and spelling :wink:
  • dennisn
    Steve_b77 wrote:

Wait a minute. I've used fabric softener for longer than I can remember. As near as I can recall, none of my clothing items fell apart at the seams. Where did this info come from?? :? :? :?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As far as I know the no fabric conditioner stems from the fact that it ruins any weather proofing coatings. It does not have any effect on lycra that I am aware of.
    Seven manufacturers shorts to date in a period well over 20 years, all machine washed with conditioner.
    No problems to date.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • hopper1
    AFAIK, it is advised not to use fabric conditioner because it may affect the effectiveness of technical fabrics: Base layers, jersey's, etc...
    I think lycra would be ok... :wink:

Then again, I am a bloke... :oops:
  • dennisn wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:

Wait a minute. I've used fabric softener for longer than I can remember. As near as I can recall, none of my clothing items fell apart at the seams. Where did this info come from?? :? :? :?

+1 ** goes to check ar*e is not missing from bib shorts**
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    My wife reckons that I am wasting my time on these forum thingies. So I told her I learn lots of things and today I learnt not to put velcro in with my cycling stuff. She said she knew that already :shock:

How come women know these things that we don't? Like what sex a baby will be and what shirt "goes" with what trousers? :?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Slow Downcp
    Softeners leave a coating on the fabric, and reduce wicking and breathability.
  • hopper1

S'what I meant... innit? :roll:
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I've just discovered that when washing sealskinz waterproof socks, you need to dry them twice.

I hung them up and they "dried" then i went to ball them up and found the insides were soaking wet (obvious really!). I've turned them inside out and have hung them up to drip dry again.

Doesn't say that on the packaging lol
    us0.png
  • Slow Downcp
    hopper1 wrote:

S'what I meant... innit? :roll:

Yep, but you said it didn't matter with Lycra - it does if you don't want your shorts to stop wicking.