clipless pedals cleats mtb shoe advice

richor
richor Posts: 34
edited October 2009 in The workshop
Hi all,

I fitted a set of toe clips to my bike the other day and I ahve to say I hate them. I was getting sore toes during yesterdays commute and I found trying to get my feet back into the clips from a standing start going up hill in traffic a nightmare.

Any way I'm now interested in giving clipless pedals etc a go as I've read such good things about them. I'd prefer to go with a MTB shoe so I can wear them for trips into town etc. Any advice on which pedals etc to go for? Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg.

Thanks again,

Rich.

Comments

• richor
    Right I've done a bit of research and narrowed the pedals to either 1 of these as I'd like a bit of a platform while getting use to clipping in and out.

Shimano M647 DX Clipless Pedal http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... edal-14726

Shimano M545 Pedal
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... edal-13458

Any one have experience with either of these?

Rich.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd ignore the platform ones, they're a real compromise. You cannot really use them without the shoes any more easily than the non -platform ones as the mechanism doesn't retract enough.

Try the M520 or M540 (slightly better bearings and i think it doesn't have spanner flats so saves your cranks) for the pedals. As for shoes, you really need to try them to find some that you get on with.
  • richor
    Thanks for that mate. I've been invited to a club nite at one of my local bike shops next wed so will see if I can pick up a decent pair if "normalish" looking MTB shoes on the cheap, will def need to try them on.

Re. the pedals the M520's and M540's are both quite affordable, I'll just need to practice (lots) before hitting the roads as I've never used clipless before.

Cheers,

Rich.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    richor wrote:
    Thanks for that mate. I've been invited to a club nite at one of my local bike shops next wed so will see if I can pick up a decent pair if "normalish" looking MTB shoes on the cheap, will def need to try them on.

Re. the pedals the M520's and M540's are both quite affordable, I'll just need to practice (lots) before hitting the roads as I've never used clipless before.

Cheers,

Rich.

Dont pay more than £20 for your M520/M540's

See here or have a look on ebay as I got a new pair in a tatty box but had never been used for about £12 delivered.
  • richor
    Oh they're a bargin, found the 540's for £31, not sure if its worth the extra tenner for the 540's?

Was at the club night last night, my mate was suggesting water proof moon boots, don't like em TBH, would prefer a MTB shoe. Is there such a thing as a gore-tex MTB shoe? Would like some waterproofing.
  • I have the M424'S (from chainreactioncycles.com aka CRC). Look the same, very similar spec and cheaper. Worth a look.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • ps. try M540's. Shoes also found on CRC. No personal link to CRC - just found them very good (I live in Ireland so I've been to the store - impressive.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • ride_whenever
    I wear my gore-tex merrells for riding on flats.

for spds they've got you by the balls, you're looking at around the £80 and up price range, but all the manufacturers make them.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I wear my gore-tex merrells for riding on flats.

for spds they've got you by the balls, you're looking at around the £80 and up price range, but all the manufacturers make them.

Are you talking about spd shoes or the spd's them self?
  • ride_whenever
    spd shoes... the cycling ones are all fairly expensive (although not really compared to non cycling gore-tex shoes)
  • richor
    Yeah looking at waterproof shoes I'm going to have to pay £80+, so I opted for non-waterproof, don't mind getting wet feet as my cycling shoes (and socks) are dry before I head home.

I've ordered the M540's, just waitning for them to arrive....... could be a long wait with our Royal Mail chums taking their extra holidays!