trek 5.5 secondhand ?

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
my lbs has a yellow trek 5.5 for sale secondhand 100 miles use as new , not sure what year but got sram force throughout . guess its 2008 or 9 . £ 1599 . is it worth it . im tempted . sure they will barter . what do you think ?

Comments

• dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Well 5.5's are about £2300 brand new during the online sales so it seems to be a bargain if its just done 100 miles.

Have they said why it was returned? or sold with mileage?

Question is - will they honour any warrenties etc as 'a new purchase' and more importantly does it actually fit you or do you want it to fit you?

Mabe you could barter down a bit, but more likely do a deal to get some servicing done on it.
  • told me it was upgraded . by someone who upgrades a lot . could be 2008 . will go and ask . its leisure lakes so have a good rep .
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    A 2009 5.5 with 500 miles on the clock recently sold for £1,770 on ebay. Granted it looked gorgeous and had some nice extras, but it also had a Force groupset so it sounds like you could be onto a pretty good deal, especially if you can haggle a bit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trek-Madone-5-5-2009-60CM_W0QQitemZ320432734160QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item4a9b477fd0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Edindevon
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Yellow 5.5 was 2008 model. It came with Force as standard and retailed at £2500 I think. If it is in good nick and fits you then snap it up. I have the 5.2 and think it is a great bike.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Sounds like a bargain - go for it, you won't get a better price than that from a legitimate source!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The Trek warranty says that it is only for the original owner so that would be the main reason for not getting it - sounds a great deal though and for what you save if it came to the worst you could just about get a new frame.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Depends if the original owner registered it or not though plus no second hand bike will have a warranty so unless the alternative is to buy new it shouldn't make much difference.