How well should a full face fit?

lochussie
lochussie Posts: 276
edited October 2009 in MTB general
The ones that I have tried on so far can all be rotated backwards so that the chin guard is in front of my eyes/nose, even when strap done up too tight and fit is otherwise good. Is this normal? The manual of the D2 says this shouldn't happen, which makes sense.

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    lochussie wrote:
    The ones that I have tried on so far can all be rotated backwards so that the chin guard is in front of my eyes/nose, even when strap done up too tight and fit is otherwise good. Is this normal? The manual of the D2 says this shouldn't happen, which makes sense.

Doesn't sound like it would do you much good in a crash!
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    sounds like its too big for you try the size down

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • sounds about 2 sizes to big

unless you have all ready bought it and cant give it back i suggest wearing the mbuk beanie underneath but heat will be a issue
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    There used to be a rule of thumb with motorbike helmets - put it on, do the strap up securely then reach behind your head and try to pull it off forwards with the strap done up. If you can, it's too big.

With a full face lid it should feel a bit tight initially - the cheek pads will soften up eventually and beging to conform to your bonce once you've worn it a few time
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dave_hill wrote:
    There used to be a rule of thumb with motorbike helmets - put it on, do the strap up securely then reach behind your head and try to pull it off forwards with the strap done up. If you can, it's too big.

With a full face lid it should feel a bit tight initially - the cheek pads will soften up eventually and beging to conform to your bonce once you've worn it a few time

i agree withthis....

my fox rampage felt just a little too tight when i bought it, but it has now softened and fits like a glove.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I agree with Dave Hill, My 661 is a pretty snug fit (a little tight at first but now fits like a gloove.) You may have to try different brands as well as sizes, as some may suit the shape of your head better.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • dave_hill
    cee wrote:
    i agree withthis....
    I agree with Dave Hill

Good god, that's two in one thread!!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    dave_hill wrote:

I'm ok with this motion, it's grabbing the front and pulling off backwards that is moving it, though eventually the base of the back of the helmet contacts my neck and stops the helmet actually coming off.

This happens even when I try on a size that is small enough to hurt my head. If you guys are saying that this is not normal, then I'll just have to try other helmets. Have you tried this motion with your helmet? (Ooh err)

Cheers
  • i agree with dave
  • cee
    dave_hill wrote:
    cee wrote:
    i agree withthis....
    I agree with Dave Hill

Good god, that's two in one thread!!!

try not to get too used to it....normal service will probably be resumed shortly :D:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dave_hill
    i agree with dave

Three now!!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • +1
  • dave_hill
    lochussie wrote:
    it's grabbing the front and pulling off backwards that is moving it, though eventually the base of the back of the helmet contacts my neck and stops the helmet actually coming off.

If you think about it, a crash which pushes the helmet off backwards is pretty unlikely - if you land on your face, the helmet is going to dig in and rotate your head forwards, effectively pushing your head further into it. If I grab the chin-bar of my full face lid even with the strap fastened (you are fastening the strap, right??) I can get it up level with my conk. But the helmet's a perfect fit for me.

The only time it's going to push off backwards is if you're sliding along on your back and pass under some swing-doors into an old west-style saloon bar... :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:
    if you're sliding along on your back and pass under some swing-doors into an old west-style saloon bar... :shock:

would love to see it
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    sorry to say it but

I also agree with Dave

he seems to have got it right for once.
    Not really active
  • I disagree with dave but only to be different.

really i agree with dave.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • cee
    dave_hill wrote:
    if you're sliding along on your back and pass under some swing-doors into an old west-style saloon bar... :shock:

would love to see it

what you mean you haven't done that yet?? kids these days...by the time i was 16 i was an expert saloon door limbo expert :D:D

H.G. Wells.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    dave_hill wrote:

That's the golden rule... Also varies depending on how good quality the helmet is, sticking with motorbike helmets as it's a nice comparison, if you buy a HJC you buy one that feels really tight, because the padding compresses so much in use. If you buy an Arai, you go for one that feels just a little tight, but not drastically, because the lining is good quality and keeps its form better.

Another good test is to shake your head left/right hard, if it moves it's generally too loose.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dave_hill
    Northwind wrote:
    Another good test is to shake your head left/right hard, if it moves it's generally too loose.

If your head's loose you've got MAJOR problems... :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I see what you did there. How amusing!
    Uncompromising extremist