Sram Rival gear cables

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited October 2009 in Workshop
Has anyone on here re-routed Sram gear cables? How the hell do you do it? I've got the gears in the right place as per the instructions and can see where it needs to go, but for the life of me can't get the bloody wire to route around the corner of the lever/hood...

Do you need some special tool? Is there a trick of the trade?

Driving me mad...

Comments

• I had the same problem,

You should use cables which have soldered ends and therefore don't frey when bent. Get some long nose pliers and lightly bend the end of the cable by just teasing the end around the outside of the pliers and pressing with your thumb.

You should end up with a subtle kink in the end of the cable which threads easier.

Also make sure your not using a brake cable as its a greater diameter and won'f fit the hole in the shifter!
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Thanks SD - although I haven't got a soldering iron, I definitely have gear cables and not brake cables.

As it happens I've fixed the problem by taking the hoods apart. There's a number of tiny screws on the Rival hood, which hold in place protective plastic covers. By removing these I was able to route the cable through the hole in the shifter first, change gears all the way to the top and then route around the bend separately.

Bit of a pain, but got there in the end.