What does OE mean as i am buying off wiggle

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi

I am about to buy off wiggle and they have the following statement

Please note, these are OE and come without manufactures packaging and cable lengths may vary.

what does OE mean?? Is it substandard stuff or just good quality/smake product but minus packaging?

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    Is it Original Equipment? ie as fitted the the bike when it was made?
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • mikeyj28
    Possibly?

This is what it is regarding

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Avid_ ... 360046087/
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • OE (original equipment) usually means something that has been made by the proper manufacturer (i.e. it isn't fake), but has found it's way onto the market via an unexpected route.

This may be via another company that has bought a job lot of Avid brakes and are flogging them off cheap. It could mean that they have been taken off a new bike because the buyer specified something different. OE kit is usually as good as proper kit, but be aware that the original manufacturer would keep and sell the best stuff for themselves.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    With these brakes the main issue would be that the hoses are already cut, they may well fit fine (and even save you cutting and bleeding), or they may be too short. As its wiggle, there is little risk, if they are too short just send them back. I got some great value OEM Formula hydraulics from Merlin, they fitted perfectly and saved me the hassle of cutting and bleeding.
  • mikeyj28
    Thanks guys

I really appreciate your help.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Yeah in real terms you won't get a box.

As above, they could be:

Meant to come as standard on an off the peg bike and they had too many.

Someone bought a complete bike and wanted an upgrade so they got taken off before use. - Doesn't happen so much any more.

Some items come boxed for people to buy off the shelf for home fitting, or dozens in one big box for LBS's to fit.

They'll be exactly the same, only a bit cheaper, warranties all the same etc.

Some things are OEM only. They're mostly Avid group things, but Avid Code 7's, Coil Sprung Pike forks, Juicy 3 SL's etc etc were never available aftermarket and only came on built bikes. Which is a shame, Code Calipers with Juicy 7 levers (basically Code 7's) are a brilliant set-up and what most Avid Sponsored Pro DH'ers ran till the Exiler's came out.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    different length hoses, potentially slightly different adjustments to the aftermarket 5's.

The OE stuff often has different features to the aftermarket stuff to cut corners. There are some real peachy OE pieces of kit though, like the Fox 32RL, Juicy SL ranges and some real dross too, OE tyres spring to mind...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    P-Jay wrote:

They'll be exactly the same, only a bit cheaper, warranties all the same etc.

Sorry not true.

OE kit is made to the spec that is ordered. just because the lable says "brand Y product X" does not mean that it is the same as "brand Y product X" that is available as an Aftermarket item.
    they can be higher or lower specced.

Also re the warrenties the Local distributors can and do refuse to fix any warrenty claims as they are "grey" and the responsiblity for fixing is back with the seller.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • OE or OEM is proper quality kit without box, instructions etc.
    It is for builders to buy in bulk to use in their builds- whether PC or bike.
    It #may# come with model - specific labels (eg I have a nice OEM stem with "Kona" printed on, but it's clearly not made by them- just rebadged)

If you know what you are doing then it can be a cheap way to getting the best bits for your £
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • mikeyj28
    Ok after all your comments there are a mixed set of views

overall do you think it is worth a punt in getting them to go on a MANITOU MARS 1 fork?The link is below for you to check them out.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Avid_ ... 360046087/
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    OE or OEM is proper quality kit without box, instructions etc.
    It #may# come with model - specific labels (eg I have a nice OEM stem with "Kona" printed on, but it's clearly not made by them- just rebadged)

If you know what you are doing then it can be a cheap way to getting the best bits for your £

+1

OE kit is not packaged for retail - it is usually sold direct to bike manufacturers for final assembly. A bit like buying a new bike fitted with (OE) Conti tyres - compared to going into the shop and buying a pair off the shelf. Same tyre, different supply route.....
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    softlad wrote:
    OE or OEM is proper quality kit without box, instructions etc.

+1

OE kit is not packaged for retail - it is usually sold direct to bike manufacturers for final assembly. A bit like buying a new bike fitted with (OE) Conti tyres - compared to going into the shop and buying a pair off the shelf. Same tyre, different supply route.....

Not always. The OEM Kenda Nevegal is not the same as the "real deal".
  • To keep the bean counters at the bike factories happy, OE kit is usually subject to lower tolerances and quality control. That doesn't mean it is rubbish, just that the chances of getting a duff part are higher.

I don't understand the comment about the Kona stem. If it wasn't made by Kona, then it isn't OE. It is something pretending to be Kona.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    GHill wrote:
    Not always. The OEM Kenda Nevegal is not the same as the "real deal".

interesting - how is the OEM tyre different from the retail version..?
    I don't understand the comment about the Kona stem. If it wasn't made by Kona, then it isn't OE. It is something pretending to be Kona.

Why should Kona make its own stems, when the majority of its frames and finishing kit is bought in from Taiwan anyway..??

To keep the bean counters at the bike factories happy, OE kit is usually subject to lower tolerances and quality control. That doesn't mean it is rubbish, just that the chances of getting a duff part are higher.

you are suggesting that manufacturers actually run two separate production lines for the same products? What are the differences in machining tolerances and quality control criteria? Which are the parts that are subject to these lower tolerances..??
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    70% of all parts in the world are OE.
    Those are the parts on your bike when you bought it. :)