Fitting a Tracker to your Bike

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited October 2009 in MTB general
This is just an idea I've been thinking about for a good while and while i've read on here the number of bikes stolen , A bike fitted with tracker does make practical sense after all you want it back that day after it's been nicked

Yet this idea has never been championed nor even viewed as a genuine hinderence against the oppertunist tea leaves thieves that steal your pride n joy ...

Cost wise how much is a company that offer's 24/7 GPS tracking is willing to charge pcm compared to a car .

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    A GPS tracker on a bike would be easy to see and remove with the right tools, they're pretty well hidden on cars.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Briggo wrote:
    A GPS tracker on a bike would be easy to see and remove with the right tools, they're pretty well hidden on cars.

This and the means to power the device is also a problem on a bike, that said, if someone could find a way round this problem i would buy one in a heartbeat.
  • The smallest GPS module I found (having spent 5 minutes looking) is 25mm wide. This is getting close to what could fit inside a carbon (non-metallic) seatpost or frame tube. This could be coupled with a GSM (mobile phone) module with a pre-pay SIM. If your bike is stolen, you send it a text and it powers the GPS up and texts you back it's location and speed to within 10 metres or so.

Charging it would be a problem, and GPS doesn't really work indoors or in the back of a Transit. It's not been done because it would cost too much to manufacture in small quantities. Would you pay £300-£400 for one?

Edit: Just found a GPS module that's 5mm wide and 2mm thick!
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • AllTheGear wrote:

A link please, or it doesn't exist :wink:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    power it with a small idle wheel off the crank axle in external setups. Getting signal will be an issue though, i'd imagine the best way would be to run it up the inside of the seatpost, out of a small hole in the head of the post and put an antenna on the underside of the saddle.
  • AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248
    edited October 2009
    AllTheGear wrote:

A link please, or it doesn't exist :wink:

How dare you! ;-)

http://www.rakon.com/Products/Public%20 ... RM6510.pdf

Edit: Actually that one does need a bit of processing work by some more electronics, but you can make it small enough to fit inside a bike and that's the point.
    ... and no idea ...

• A good stealthy place to put it might be inside an otherwise normal looking red rear LED light. It already has batteries and is plastic so can contain the antenna. And it works as a light.
    ... and no idea ...

• inside them stem :roll:
  • inside them stem :roll:

Nope, the stem is metallic and would block the GPS sginal.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    edited October 2009
    Some Interesting replies so far however i do believe that this system is what bike makers should be seriously investing in because no point spending in the region of a 1.000 plus for that price i expect a lot better maybe am just a grumpy bugger still paying that amount i do expect more in return .
    Consider the prices for some components as it is . they're not cheap by any means .
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Isn't it easier just to sleep with your bike!? :twisted:
    Craig Rogers
  • x-isle wrote:
    Isn't it easier just to sleep with your bike!? :twisted:

I do that anyway.... :lol:
    ... and no idea ...

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why aren't bike manufacturers investing in it?

Scenario 1: You buy bike. Scumbag steals bike. Insurance pays out. You buy second bike. Bikes sold:2.

Scenario 2: You buy bike. Scumbag steals bike. You track and recover bike (assuming the police are interested). Bikes sold:1.

I'd rather pay a few quid a month extra on my household insurance to have my bike replaced if/when it's nicked (or even damaged). Once some theif has had their grubby hands all over it, frankly I don't want it back!

Even if you do find it, it might be just the frame, or it might be at the bottom of the canal, and it'll probably be damaged. So you still need insurance to replace it. If I'm insured then once it's gone, it's gone. I'd be on the phone getting a replacement sorted, not hitting the streets with my tracker.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I largely agree Bails, however the opportunity to track down and thump the pikey that took it would be worth a few hundred quid.
    ... and no idea ...

• employe polish people who will fight to the death for the bike
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    employe polish people who will fight to the death for the bike

...and probably cheaper than insurance.
    Craig Rogers
  • http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To- ... e-Project/

but I wouldn't recommend you try it in the UK as you'll probably end up locked up for a long time.
  • If you want to protect your bike,you should incest in one of these
    http://www.hk-usa.com/military_products/mg4_general.asp
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.