what upgrades should i make? 2010 secteur sport compact.

dizzle22
dizzle22 Posts: 21
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
what should i upgrade on my secteur sport compact? i dont mind the shifters so no need for the 105's but just wondering what are some good upgrades that you think i should do to this bike?

full specs are linked here: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... temId=9257

thanks everyone!

Comments

• sweet tyres and wheels. what is wrong with the wheels and tyres on it? just curious!! sorry im a noob :oops:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    tyres, heavy and very sluggish, although good puncture protection however there are better winter tyres. A good folding winter tyre will make the bike feel a lot better.

The wheels: plain gauge spokes, necessarily heavy for no extra strength, very basic rims, hubs very poorly sealed and very soft races that pit and wear out very quickly.

Basically on most road bikes, particularly around this price point, the wheels are the real weak point.

You've got a good frame and forks, and you're happy with your go bits. Brake pads are also a good upgrade, finishing kit is only worth improving if you don't get on with it. Wheels are the area where you'll see the biggest difference.
  • awesome i really appreciate the advice. are there any specific wheels and tires you recommend? i have an indoor trainer that i will be using during the winter so i will probably just leave the same stock tires on for now. however next summer what wheels/tires do you suggest i upgrade to? thanks mate!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    dizzle22 wrote:
    sweet tyres and wheels. what is wrong with the wheels and tyres on it? just curious!! sorry im a noob :oops:

depending on the level you ride at, there's probably nothing wrong with them at all. Get some miles on it first - the bike is completely rideable as it is....
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    softlad wrote:
    dizzle22 wrote:
    sweet tyres and wheels. what is wrong with the wheels and tyres on it? just curious!! sorry im a noob :oops:

depending on the level you ride at, there's probably nothing wrong with them at all. Get some miles on it first - the bike is completely rideable as it is....

+1
    Wear out the current tyres on the road & on your trainer.

Pedals & shoes would be a good upgrade, unless you have them already.
    Cycling weakly
  • How long have you had this bike, it hasn't been out that long and your looking at upgrades already? I'd just use it as it is through the winter then get some new bits in the spring...
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    ok - mini rant starting

it doesn't really matter how long he has had it - he wants to upgrade it! - stop telling people to "just ride it" etc - he wants to spend some money on it - it's not that uncommon - people spend money on their hobbies and interests. i do it - others do it - some more than other depending on disposable income.

rant over

as said - clipless pedals and shoes are first port of call if you don't already have them - then..

wheels and tyres are next - in particular tyres where quite dramatic weight savings can be had for a reasonable outlay - that said if you are going to ride this through winter then heavier but more puncture resistant tyres are possibly more appropriate. After that - and if you are Ok with the groupset (you sure? - even that lump of a chainset which is fitted??) what about the brakes? are they unbranded? - some nice 105 spec brake calipers would be a useful upgrade.

then the contact points are worth investing some time in - the saddle for starters - not for weight reduction but one which is comfortable for a long haul - also the handlebars - are the right shape? reach and depth? do you spend any time on the drops? - you might with a shallower bar. and finally stem - get the riding position spot on and you will have a bike which you will love much more!

(this all said and even in light of my rant - if this is your only bike and you are riding it through winter then there is some sense in keeping your existing wheels on at the moment and invest come springtime.)