Damaged Carbon frame - options?

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Good morning.

Whilst at Coed Y Brenin at the weekend, my carbon frame came in for some damage.

It's a Scott Ransom 20, and basically, a bolt in the top (pivot?) end of the shock mount came loose and over the course of literally 3 minutes, bored it's way into the frame and then due to the up and down motion of the suspension, has cut a nice 5mm wide x 25mm long gash in the frame.

Needless to say I stopped riding immediately and my buddies had to go and get the van to come and resuce me, but I have concerns over what my options are.

The bolt in question is inaccessible unless you decide to remove the shock (something which in 18 months of ownership I've never done or felt the need to do), so really we're looking at a non-user-servicable part failing and thus causing the damage.

Do you think I have reasonable grounds to expect Scott to repair / replace the frame?

The potential issue here is that I'm the 3rd owner of the bike, but I can safely say it was mint when I bought it and barely used. I've had a recent experience with Marzocchi forks where as I could prove I was the original purchaser, they wouldn't do any warranty repairs. I'm worried Scott amy pull this one me again, so would welcome any views/experiences on this issue.

If I do have to self fund, is this kind of damage repairable or am I looking at a new frame?

Thanks
BJB

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IIRC scott state in there Owners manual that the bikes should have a yearly inspection.

Scott may help out on the cost or they may not.

back to the shop for them to take it up with Scott.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks Nick - doesn't sound good then.....
  • Excerpts from the Scott manual:

The Ransom frame warranty is for 3 years (extended to 5 years with annual services).

The Equalizer shock warranty is for 1 year (extended to 2 years with an annual service).

Claims must be made through an authorised dealer.

The warranty is limited to the first buyer.

Normal wear, accident, neglect, abuse, improper assembly, improper maintenance is not covered.

They will probably decline to fix it under warranty on account of the last two clauses. But there is no harm in asking at your local Scott dealer.
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks TS, it's a 2008, so frame would be covered if I were first owner.

I'll give it a try. I hate the first owner thing, it's their product, they should stand behind it within 3 years regardless.

Anyone know price of a new frame?

BJB
  • You should be able to buy just the main frame and use the stays and shock off the bike you have. No idea about price though - you will have to ask a dealer or maybe Scott UK direct:

http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/gb-company-350576963.html
  • BigJimmyB
    Thanks TS.

Spoke to Kudu this PM. I'm going to send the photos and we'll see what happens. They did say in cases where Scott warranty is void, they may sell me a frame a a good price.

Thanks again
    BJB

Will let you know how I get on.
  • "mint when I bought it" means fap all.

My car was "mint" when I bought it... its just had an engine rebuild.
  • BigJimmyB
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    "mint when I bought it" means fap all.

My car was "mint" when I bought it... its just had an engine rebuild.

Thanks for your constructive input.