afan riders, 2 quick questions ..

gaz047
gaz047 Posts: 601
edited October 2009 in Routes
hi all, been meaning to get to afan for a while now, and may have an opportunity to go in the next month or so and was just wondering what the trail conditions/drainage is like if the weather is gash.
also ill be stopping over and would appreciate any suggestions as to which trails are best, was thinking of doing skyline on first day followed by the wall or Penhydd on day 2. any advice greatly appreciated,
many thanks
gaz
if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
Stick your 'rules' up your a%se

Comments

• rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    do a forum search this is the gazllillionth time this question has been asked
    drainage is good-your choice of trails depends on your riding
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i was there saturday when it was tipping down, you dont even notice it! (apart from the river crosing at the end of Penhydd)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I found skyline drab and the rewards do not make the fireroad slogs worth it.

Do W2 and Penhydd.

BJB
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Whites rocks.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Second Bigjimmy

if you want a big ride do W2 and that lets you bag The Wall and White's leaving Penhydd as a shorter second ride. W2 is quite demanding though (as is Skyline despite it's miles of fireroad). You can do W2 from either centre although my preference is start at the Afan forest centre as you get the fireroad slog out of the way at the start, White's descent whilst you're still fresh, White's main climb whilst still alive, just take it easy at the end of the Wall as you'll be pretty physically and mentally knackered (well I was) and there's not a lot of room for error in places.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Weather don't effect Afan in the slightest, aside from some patch bits of the Whites/skyline climb.

Start of with Penhydd to get your eye in, then Whites or The Wall or even W2 which is both of the combined. Skyline has a stunning final descent, but the rest is IMHO anyway pointlessly long - lots of fireroad.

Only tip this time of year is if it's overcast/dark or just late the final descent of the Wall is VERY dark. It's proper Forrest rather than managed pine so very dense.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    thanks very much for your replies fellas, thanks for the link Legless just what i was after (went on mbWales, but it kept hanging up when i clicked on centres). reckon ill go for Penhydd on day one and w2 the next day (had heard skyline had a load of fireroad)
    thanks for the tip P-Jay, ill take the glasses off for that last drop!!
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se