Nine Inch Nails fans

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
I know there are a few in here...

In case you were under a rock for the last few months, NIN played their last gig recently. As part of it they played The Downward Spiral live end to end. And the fans documented it and released a DVD of the performance.

It's really quite excellent work. And Mr Reznor approves

http://theninhotline.net/features/TDSlive/
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Superb, downloading now. Cheers!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ta for that... seen them a few times, all the way back to the first album.. only pulled out the 10" single poster edition of Head like a Hole the other day and was looking at it.

Will download it.. got a bit fat Trent has recenty hasn't he?

Amazes me how many friends I know who don't listen to anything aggressive but love NIN, Downward Spiral in particular should be owned by everyone who has a decent hifi, the care that went into the production of that album is staggering. For a digital age its one of the best examples of what you can get in the detail of a recording, just like some of Pink Floyds recordings seem to be the peak of analogue methods.

Hear about the drums on DSpiral.. some tracks they hung guitars and things on the walls apparently and even mic'd up them so the reverberation they were getting off them could be recorded and put quitely into the mix. Very experimental, but so damn good.
  • iainf72
    mfin wrote:
    Will download it.. got a bit fat Trent has recenty hasn't he?

Not fat, gym rat. He's beefy since he stopped drinking / drugs.

I know someone who worked on Pretty Hate Machine with Flood and he was doing stuff like singing through glass

This is the first fan DVD. There's a 3 disc release coming from the big tour 2 years ago which promises to be fantastic.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I haven't actually got The Downward Spiral.

I really haven't a clue why!

And I have a really good Hifi.

And I lost my copy of Pretty Hate Machine :(
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Apparently he's a mountain biker too :)

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I saw them a couple of years ago and was pretty disappointed (although I think it was on the tour for With Teeth so not a good start). All the detail was lost and it was just another rock band. Didn't realise that was it for touring though?
  • iainf72
    MrChuck wrote:
    Didn't realise that was it for touring though?

Yup. All done.

Still doing music and other things though. Will probably be a "Ghosts" type release soonish.

They've been great every time I've seen them. Festival shows weren't great but Reznor doesn't like them much
  • iainf72
    Oh, and doing something with Gary Numan very soon
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Downloading it as well...knew about it anyway, but only just got round to getting it. Saw 'em six times in all from '94 at the Forum through to Sonisphere, every show a killer. I would not be surprised if it really, really was the last shows they played, but at least some of the remarks Trent's made don't rule out playing live in future (or maybe I was just hoping that..). He might still do the odd show here and there if he feels like it. The Fragile's getting a mega rerelease (like TDS) at some point.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Anonymous
    Just bought TDS on SACD :D
  • I was an avid NIN fan in '90 / 91 when Pretty Hate Machine came out. I even had a metallic NIN badge! But strangely, I never followed them beyond that. I don't know what the later albums were like - were/are they similar in style?
  • Anonymous
    No, Pretty Hate Machine has more electronic influences. They went much more guitar after that IIRC...
  • iainf72
    NapoleonD wrote:
    No, Pretty Hate Machine has more electronic influences. They went much more guitar after that IIRC...

Well, you think there was more guitar but there isn't really.

I remember Reznor saying he found it funny what people thought came from a guitar on the Fragile.

PHM was synth pop. After that things got a lot tougher
  • Anonymous
    iainf72 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Well, you think there was more guitar but there isn't really.

I remember Reznor saying he found it funny what people thought came from a guitar on the Fragile.

PHM was synth pop. After that things got a lot tougher

I suppose that's what I mean when I say electronic...
  • iainf72
    I find if I listen to PHM it sounds dated, where as TDS doesn't at all

PHM tunes go down well live though. Head Like a Hole at the o2 earlier this year was ace.
  • Anonymous
    Looking forward to getting TDS!

You're right about PHM, does sound a little dated...

Would love to have seen them recently when they toured with my fave band, Jane's Addiction.
  • iainf72
    NapoleonD wrote:

Would love to have seen them recently when they toured with my fave band, Jane's Addiction.

It was fantastic. I sat right next to the bands exit from the stage (near all the impossibly hot groupies) and Dave N stood there for a bit looking cool

I think Reznor is producing new Janes material....
  • Anonymous
    :(

I had a ticket but couldn't go in due to work.

Will be interesting to hear the new stuff.

Hope it's more Ritual than Strays...
  • mfin
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just bought TDS on SACD :D

Judging by you liking Pretty Hate Machine, you must like pretty intense music and like your guitars such as Janes (good band!) ...if you love your hifi you are going to LOVE The Downward Spiral after a couple of listens, it is brilliant. Im gonna dig it out and bang it on again. (keep the kids out of the room for some of the language, don't think you'd feel very comfortable if they got a listen of the track 'Closer' for one).

Another cracking NIN later track is 'Into the Void'.

Another MUST HAVE is the 'Broken' EP... and the two hidden tracks at 98 and 99 too... very violent sounding, make's Rage Against the Machine sound a bit soft... and how good is their first album??? Absolute classic... makes you cycle to the shops faster too.
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh...
    About 12 months ago my (then) 4 year old and I were moshing in the lounge to Bullet in the head by RATM.

The Mrs just walked in as I was fumbling trying to press stop when the 'F you I won't do what you tell me' bit came on.

It was rather humorous!
  • mfin
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh...
    About 12 months ago my (then) 4 year old and I were moshing in the lounge to Bullet in the head by RATM.

The Mrs just walked in as I was fumbling trying to press stop when the 'F you I won't do what you tell me' bit came on.

It was rather humorous!

Bullet in the Head they did years ago on the BBC2 'Late Show' that they called No Nirvana that week, it must be on youtube, they were so good. See if you can find it too cos the two other great performances on there were Janes Addiction doing Been Caught Stealing back in their prime and Pearl Jam doing Alive. Course, not the same over little computer speakers.

Track you mean with that lyric in it is 'Killing in the Name' though.
  • Anonymous
    mfin wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Heh heh...

It was rather humorous!

Bullet in the Head they did years ago on the BBC2 'Late Show' that they called No Nirvana that week, it must be on youtube, they were so good. See if you can find it too cos the two other great performances on there were Janes Addiction doing Been Caught Stealing back in their prime and Pearl Jam doing Alive. Course, not the same over little computer speakers.

Doh! It sounded wrong when I typed it. It was Killing in the name indeed...
  • Bullet In The Head is a far better tune though!!!

I really liked the Fixed EP from NIN. I'll have to dig out The Downward Spiral. I even have some the the single releases on ltd edition 9" vinyl somewhere.

I somehow suspect Jane's may be past their sell by date though, the new album may be better than Strays if it is written before they hit the studio. I preferred the Satellite Party album to Strays......
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    mfin wrote:

I used to have this on video and watched it on a weekly basis for around two years. Sonic Youth, Screaming Trees, REM. I even watched the performance of the not-very-good Belly due to a bit of a teenage crush on the singer... :oops: