Tales from a Workshop.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is that Supersonic's bike? Looks like there's a lot of "money saving" repairs going on there :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    then I also finished of this build.

img0534r.jpg

and did another but with gears 2X9.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • it would have been cheaper for the lad to buy new tyres with the amount of glue he's used haha!

(gave me some idea though! :wink::wink::wink: )
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    :lol::lol::lol:

I've been following this thread for ages, but never commented.. it's a great thread.. haha, makes me feel like an Einstein of the bike world!!

Can't believe some of the pics and what people consider decent bodge jobs!! That GT... :shock:

Fantastic Nick, keep it up!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just come across this thread - Magic.....loving the 'ghetto tubeless' option!

The piles of stuff reminds me of vists to my local chaps workshop, great source, a lot of stuff he keeps for Justin (thats Justin Case) and will dole out to anyone that needs it! last trip round their I picked up a BB for the daughters (hers was FUBAR) which came with some nice Deore 8mm allen bolts (matched the Deore crankset I'd just bought for a fiver) and 20mm CF headset spacer all FOC.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    loving this thread. what was that guy thinking with that gt. is that silicone or something. and the guy with that bike on the previous page(i think) the biggest amount of spacers i have ever seen
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Great thread nick!
    Talking of odd 'repairs', before i got into mtbing i repaired my old raliegh, saving the frame. The thread on the deralleur hanger was completely worn and it wasn't replacable so i got a thinner, longer bolt, a nut and a washer for about 30p, rather than the £160 the lbs quoted for a new frame, and put the bolt through the frame from the other direction and then put the washer in, then the deralleur (a crappy shimano tourney) then the nut. It worked perfectly! However that wasn't the only problem - the forks wobbled back and forth, so instead of compressing over bumps, it wobbled, to avoid, rather than absorb the impact. Being worried that the forks would snap of and the rest of the bike was pretty much fooked (i had done leith, homebury and pitch hill on it) i got a new bike and converted the raliegh to single speed, then fixed gear, by fixing the casette to the spokes with modelling wire, which snapped in about 20 mins. The raliegh now lies unused in the garage.
    Anyone want to buy it?
  • nicklouse
    Well i should be back in the shop tomorrow.

what do I have lined up. sorting the GT but even though the BB is worn Dad dont want to pay for a new one yet!

then I have a steel and carbon XC build with V brakes to do and what ever needs sorting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Shire
    Shire Posts: 59
    Having only just found this thread today, wnated to say how much I enjoyed reading through the trials and tribulations of a bike mechanic!

Keep up the good work Nick, very entertaining read!
  • nicklouse
    Well work got in the way abit today so I was not up to the shop till lateish, but the GT got done and "Dad" took the bill to show son where his weekly allowance had gone.

It was got back to working with 1 tyre, 1 tube and 4 brake blocks. yes the BB was shot but it was not in the budget to do it.

the order of the spacers was fun!

img0537l.jpg

We had a Rider pop in to try a Cross Bike, his MTB was well illuminated.

img0538z.jpg
    img0539ak.jpg
    note the brake light switch
    img0540n.jpg
  • nicklouse
    Anodised Bike frames and how the differing metals effect the finish.

these are the same frame, with and without flash.

img0543h.th.jpg
    img0542x.th.jpg

clicky for bigger.
  • nicklouse
    So the steel and carbon build.

img0546j.jpg
    img0547o.jpg
    needs a black seat post
    img0544x.jpg
    img0545j.jpg
  • jay12
    wow, cars should have no problems seeing that in the night :lol:
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Please remove the brake light section before the EU see it and issue a directive for us all to have them fitted. Good thinking though.
  • I dont work in a workshop, but I thought some of you would appreciate the way the previous owner on my commie managed to make a 180mm mount fit a 203mm rotor. Not sure if this is a common occurence, but I've never seen it before:

30102010002.jpg
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Brillaint thread - jsut read through it and its great - especially liking the patch and glue on the tyre... :D

Keep up the good work Nicklouse!!
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • jay12
    why are the KHS bikes popular there? i'v seen about 4 or 5 already on this thread
  • one of the guys that rides with us has a KHS full susser, Very nice looking bike!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Loving the KHS pictures,i had the pro version about 1997, best bike i've ever had!!!
    Ride bike, eat cake, drink tea, ride bike, eat cake, dri...........
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Blimey, that guys bike looks like the front of one of those deep sea exploration things, he's probably blinded a few cars with that!
    Great thread by the way 8)
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    this is a mint thread. Nicklouse and Supersonic are the greek gods of bikes.

there is nothing they dont know.

Superb, keep this one going please
  • nicklouse
    People wonder why i keep suggesting you visit your LBS.

Now let me clarify what i mean by LBS.

I mean a place that not only sells bikes but services them and mends parts and bikes.

why?

they know what parts people lose or get worn-out and they tend to keep them. like if a headset needs replacing some bits are good to keep.
    Even parts from different makers can be used in other makes of the same assemble as many are made to the same standard.

eg:

img0080s.jpg

need a bit for your headset?

take cookies and I bet you will find what you need.
  • The Rookie
    I have a keen MTBer nearby whos' garage is as near well as stocked, will often pass out extra bits when I'm buying stuff from him, has boxes just like that.

My nearest LBS are a loathsome bunch (money money money types), but the one in town are great guys, refused to accept any money for removing the screw on cassette on the daughters bike when I was doing the bearings.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    the one in town are great guys, refused to accept any money for removing the screw on cassette on the daughters bike when I was doing the bearings.

Sounds like my local Halfords :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • wysiwyg
    wysiwyg Posts: 7,897
    If you've got time to take pics and post um on here, you're not busy enough ;)
  • The Rookie
    Which is probably why there have been no posts for 3 weeks?

Simon
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Well I have never seen this before, how do you get 24 gears out of a 6 speed freewheel ?

16122009018.jpg

16122009016.jpg

Yes that is a quad chainset :lol:
  • had a woman ring up the shop yesterday...
    conv went similar to this......

me- hello **** my bike shop ***
    woman- do you fix bikes?
    m- yes, we certainly do
    w- how much is it?
    m- what seems to be the problem with it?
    w- how the f*** should i know, your the mechanic!
    click!
    m- hello? helloooo? .... silly cow!

so, as from today, im on the hunt for a crystal ball, just in case she calls back. LOL

gotta love customers.
  • i`m still lauhing at the tyre on the GT! :lol:
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    kopite1979 wrote:
    i`m still lauhing at the tyre on the GT! :lol:

I know what a dumb ar$e! everyone knows you're supposed to use sticky tape not glue with tyres! :lol: