removing 8 speed cassette

c h i p s
c h i p s Posts: 40
edited October 2009 in Workshop
Hello, i'm having a bit of bother removing an 8 speed shimano 600 cassette. I got the lockring off no problems, and the first two cogs (12 and 13 t) slide off but the others look like they are not budging. The hub is the old style aluminium mavic cosmic. The lockring says Hyperglide making me think that it is a hyperglide cassette but i have read that some uniglide models worked like this? i haven't had a go at the remainder with two chainwhips yet.. should i try this? any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like they have cut into the hub. the cogs will need rotating against the "cut".

tap tap each cog and waggle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks! just to clarify, the tapping should be done in the direction of the line of teeth? and how hard should i be tapping? is there any danger of chipping of a tooth?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    here is a pic to show what may have happened.

aluminum-body.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    c h i p s wrote:
    thanks! just to clarify, the tapping should be done in the direction of the line of teeth? and how hard should i be tapping? is there any danger of chipping of a tooth?

You should be able to see if the sprokets have bit into the freehub if you give it good clean. Then hold them with a chain whip and tap the smallest sprocket with hammer and big screwdriver anticlockwise (you will need three hands for this :) ) shouldnt take much to shift, so shouldnt be any risk of damaging something especially if you aim the screwdriver in the base of the tooth.

Just while typing, I just thought you could use two chain whips, then there would be no risk and you only need two hands. :idea:
  • thanks for the help all! cassette is now off! did a few nudges at the side and then some "gentle persuasion" from behind and it came off a treat. freehub is actually in pretty good condition, i think the cassette was more jammed in then badly dug in. anyway thanks again for the help!