Are there any easy blue routes at CYB?

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited October 2009 in Routes
Thinking of taking my 11 year old Son to CYB this Sunday and wondered if there are any easy routes that both of us could manage? I have been there once before with him and did the green family, but would like to know if there is anything in between before you get the the much harder red routes?

Cheers,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    There are no blue trails at CYB but you could try the 'Cyflym Coch'. Its a red trail and consisits of the faster flowy sections of the MBR and Dragon's back while avoiding the more technical sections. It's 10.8 km long......

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/cyflymco ... chcard.pdf

'Pinderosa' is a little tricky for beginners but after that its not too bad.

Stu
  • Ian P
    Ian P Posts: 36
    Would agree that Cyflm Coch is the easiest of the reds at Coed Y Brenin - the initial section is quite technical but since its gradually uphill its not too committing and the difficult bits can be pushed. The last section of Pink Heifer is quite a long and also has a bit of more technical stuff on it - if you find the previous 2 sections fine (Dreamtime and Uncle Fester) then go for it, if your lad was at his limit you can easily miss it out, Have done it with my 9 year old daughter but she did already have a quite a bit of experience riding at Cannock and on the singletrack at Delemere.

If you enjoy Cyflm Coch you can also put a nice longer ride together including Big Dug then fire roads along the river to get to the Cafe in the Forest (definitely part of the Coed y Brenin experience) the back via Uncle Fester and Pink Heifer - we had a great afternoon doing this at the end of September. Llandegla is excellent for the kids as well - the red is a good intro to proper mountain biking and the black is all rollable (easier than some of the Coed y Brenin red sections). I tend to go in the afternoon when the trails seem to be quieter (though the daughter is now getting to the stage where she overtakes some people :) ).
  • Darra8
    Darra8 Posts: 721
    Thanks for that.

I always worry going slow on the red routes, as I feel I/we are holding up the faster more experienced riders :oops:

That's why I try and keep to the beginner blue routes.
    40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!
  • Ian P
    Ian P Posts: 36
    Darra8 wrote:
    I always worry going slow on the red routes, as I feel I/we are holding up the faster more experienced riders :oops:
    That's why I try and keep to the beginner blue routes.

You shouldn't let that worry you - there's always somebody faster so everybodies in the same boat really, just move over on the trail (when its safe to do so) if someone faster come behind you. We go out quite regularly with a few kids (and my wife who's probably the slowest downhill) and don't have any problems. Llandegla / Cannock can be quite busy so its worth considering the time you go if you prefer not to feel overrun by other riders, Coed y Brenin is quieter in my experience.

BTW if you go to CyB do make sure you do the Cyflym Coch start, the obvious start for the other routes through the 'Forks' (Badger) is rocky and can be quite a shock to the inexperienced (all should be obvious if you look at the maps).