My first accident

Sailorchick
Sailorchick Posts: 202
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
And it was a BMW's fault!

Coming down the steepest part of Athelstan Road so going about 20/25mph (30+ is usual down here but I was controlling my speed as the ground was wet).

I'm about half way down the steep bit when a BMW pulls out of a side street on the right hand side in front of me. I hit the brakes as I realise this is gonna hurt, lose some speed, back wheel slides out and my front tyre hits her rear bumper, bike goes down and I slide along the road head first into a parked car with the bike .

Obviously a bit shaken up over the whole thing, picked myself and walk over to the car which has pulled up and ask her if she even saw me. Stupid thing is she did see me but didn't factor in how fast a cycle can travel.

She was actually unbelievably nice and offered to make me a cup of tea, lift anywhere etc. Turns out she compounded the problem by braking when she pulled out to stop outside her house (I was too busy trying to stop myself to notice her brakes on too!). We didn't exchange details but as I know where she lives she did say to come back if anything crops up on the bike that needs insurance.

Bike seems okay, will get my husband to have a good check over it later, but it got me the rest of the way to work. Think I go away lucky, grazed elbow, grazed leg along side of calf and thigh and some serious bruising. Helmet has a tiny dent (does this mean I need to replace it?) but otherwise all okay.

Comments

• sailorchick,
    think it might be worth getting checked out by a doctor then you have a record in case any underlying problems occur, then you have evidence and a recorded entry somewhere that you can look back on if things turn nasty. As for the helmet even if its just a small dent replace as you dont know what other dammage there is that you cant see.Maybe also let the police know as an extra backup, just so thats its logged officially. Maybe also report it on a SMIDSY website. As for the accident and your injuries sorry to hear about that hope your not too shaken up by it.
  • Lucky escape, could have been much worse. I think your BMW driver is on a good tack with the old, "You were travelling so fast, I couldn't believe it!", line. It works so much better than SMIDSY, as it gives us a little bit of an ego massage to help make up for the injuries.

Glad you're OK.
  • Yeah sounds like it could have been a lot worse.
    Take your bike to a shop for a crash damage assessment, and get the bill for the assessment and any repairs paid for by the car driver.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Sorry to hear about accident, glad you are OK.

Sounds like complete misjudgement on beemer part....
    Just get back in the saddle and keep riding.

At least you know where she lives..... but she sounded horrified at causing accident.
    I take it she admited liability?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • She completely accepted responsibility for it. I think she will be a lot more observant of cyclists and their speed now.

She was incredibly nice about the whole thing, impossible to stay angry at her, and I think it was just a genuine mistake as she was very very apologetic.
  • Well done on the survival! It's such a comfort when they are nice about it.

But get ya self checked out, just in case..... and why not treat your self to a new helmet. :D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I would advise you get the solicitors involved, it's far easier in the long run. She might well be being nice now, but once she sees the size of the bill her tune will change.

Also do get checked out and report it, it is a RTA so everything needs to be done.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ANY reasonable impact to a helmet, visible damage or not and it MUST be replaced or it won't protect properly next time as the amount of absorbtion is reduced once there is any compression of the absorbing material (the ploystyrene in most cases).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Get yourself checked out by a Dr. Sounds like it might be over the top but it's worth it just in case. I got knocked off about a week ago. Driver took responsibility at the time, bike's been writtten off and now he says it wasn't his fault. Got to get witness statements now.
    My advice to anyone involved in a crash is go to hospital, complain of sore neck or back and make sure they take note of your 'injuries'. If for no other reason but a back up plan if the driver turns out to be a tw*t.
    I didn't do this because i'm not like that and even went to work that night but am regretting it now. I wouldn't milk the injury side if the driver co-operates with repairing bike but at least you've got some comeback, if it goes wrong.
  • Get yourself checked out by a Dr. Sounds like it might be over the top but it's worth it just in case. I got knocked off about a week ago. Driver took responsibility at the time, bike's been writtten off and now he says it wasn't his fault. Got to get witness statements now.
    My advice to anyone involved in a crash is go to hospital, complain of sore neck or back and make sure they take note of your 'injuries'. If for no other reason but a back up plan if the driver turns out to be a tw*t.
    I didn't do this because i'm not like that and even went to work that night but am regretting it now. I wouldn't milk the injury side if the driver co-operates with repairing bike but at least you've got some comeback, if it goes wrong

yeah! like what i said earlier. Ya never know she might be trying to keep you sweet so as not to report it! what if she is a banned driver or dosnt have a licience? she could kill someone next time.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Ahh sorry to hear about this SC! :(

I would like to also point out that legally, since injury has occurred the Beemer driver is obliged to report the incident to the Police within 24 hours. Should she fail to do so she is committing an offence iirc. (I'm sure Spen would correct me if I'm wrong :lol: )

I too would wander down the Civic copshop and have a chat with them. Take yourself to atleast the walk in center (the bitterne one is still there - outside the leisure center) first. They will play with your joints and make sure nothing untoward has happened.
  • Sounds nasty! Call me strange, but I find it odd that someone can live so close to that steep incline at the top of Athelstan (a great challenge to ascend it, a fave of mine) and not be aware of how gravity can accelerate us cyclists coming down that slope.

As others have said, sounds like:-
    New helmet, billed to driver
    Complete check of bike by one of our good lbs (DH Cyclesport; GA Cycles; Hargroves), billed to driver
    Replacement bits and their installation from lbs (maybe even new bike), billed to driver
    Visit to Bath Lodge surgery at very least for you
    Visit perhaps to Bitterne cop shop to report accident
    Witness statements?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Head first into a parked car. That's got to be worth a 9.6. :)

Glad you're ok, but, as said above, get yourself and your bike checked out so you know exacltly what the damage is. As RW says, she may change her tune.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ketka82
    ketka82 Posts: 63
    Unfortunately, the same people that are surprised that bikes can travel at more than 10mph are also the ones that think they only cost about 150 quid!
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Glad you're OK SailorChick!! Make sure she pays for everything, and that it goes via her insurers. Why? Because the accident will be recorded by them and will affect her future premiums. There's no lesson like a financial one.
    ketka82 wrote:
    Unfortunately, the same people that are surprised that bikes can travel at more than 10mph are also the ones that think they only cost about 150 quid!

LOL, maybe £60!!!

This makes me think of the woman who pulled out on LeeW21 and caused the write-off of his Quest velomobile. £5,000 must have been quite a shock to her and her insurers!!!

smashed1wy2.jpg
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Do they come in any other colours?
  • And it was a BMW's fault!

Coming down the steepest part of Athelstan Road so going about 20/25mph (30+ is usual down here but I was controlling my speed as the ground was wet).

I'm about half way down the steep bit...

I used to commute up and down Athelstan Road when I worked at the University. Trust me folks this is a really steep quick hill with a white knuckle bend at the botom. :shock: There are lots of driveways, cars pulling out was always my worst fear. You were sensible to be slowing your speed in the wet and it sounds like you managed to make the best of what could have potentially been a much worse accident.

Hope the grazes and bruises heal up quickly and please don't let this stop you getting back on the bike when you are well.
    Marin Highway One
    Trek 7.5FX
  • Go and see a qualified physio/chiropractor now then your GP (tell them whats happened and get it on your record) - your neck & back will be damaged by hitting the car then the road then sliding then stopping with your head on parked car. You may not feel it now, but it will come believe me.

Balls to the good for the insurance & may need to prove fault angle. Do it for yourself to be sure you're still going to be fit and well in 20 years time - you only get one body and one shot at health - always always take the precaution to make sure both stay 100% even if it costs money.

Likewise the bike, get it professionally checked out, you've no idea what cracks or minor dings will be hiding under the paintwork now - think autoglass adverts - little fractures suddenly become big breaks and in 6 months time whizzing down that hill at 30mph, you don't want the frame or forks to suddenly and catastrophically fail.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Hang on people - let Sailorchick be the judge.

I was doored once, completed a full barrel roll in the air and I'd hit the door so hard it was about 90 degrees further open than it should have been. Front end of the bike toast.

I got up completely unscathed, and was congratulated by some skateboarder kids for an excellent wipeout.

So, if its not as bad as it could have been, what's the sense in making it worse than it is? Sounds to me that the driver is sufficiently traumatised anyway.
  • Hang on people - let Sailorchick be the judge.

I was doored once, completed a full barrel roll in the air and I'd hit the door so hard it was about 90 degrees further open than it should have been. Front end of the bike toast.

I got up completely unscathed, and was congratulated by some skateboarder kids for an excellent wipeout.

So, if its not as bad as it could have been, what's the sense in making it worse than it is? Sounds to me that the driver is sufficiently traumatised anyway.

I walked away from a car crash with a broken neck and didn't find out for another 3 weeks when the pain seriously kicked in and I was rushed to hospital - its cost me thousands to keep healthy because of the delay in getting it seen to.

better safe than sorry.

as for the bike, getting it properly checked is a sensible precaution paint hides a lot of nasty's.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would say this:

Firstly: The injured (or potentially injured) party is not the best judge. I didn't perceive that I had an injury to my neck until the orthopaedic consultant demonstrated the loss of movement I had to one side.

Secondly, whilst there was minimal pain at the time, 10+ years later on I am having serious neck problems related to this such that even lying on a pillow is becoming painful. The £4000 compensation at the time seemed generous, it no longer does.

Yes, no need to find aggro where there needn't be, but at the same time the victim is not a medical expert, and even if they were, they would not be sufficiently objective to assess themselves.

Likewise with the bike.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    It is also worth bearing in mind that a driver who makes a bad call such as this might mike others. Their insurer should be made aware. :?

At the end of the day [/jeremy kyle] it is SC's choice as to what she does.
  • jobysp
    jobysp Posts: 68
    Glad you feel OK but most people are right - better getting checked out - don't forget you can sometimes perfectly function with broken bones without realising until its too late - ShouldBeInBed is an example of that.
    My cycle blog at www.biking2work.co.uk and check out www.fightbaddriving.co.uk.
  • She completely accepted responsibility for it. I think she will be a lot more observant of cyclists and their speed now.

Glad you're OK and that the streets of Southampton are safer for the rest of us!

Sound advice from everyone else. I've had a couple of very minor car accidents that people are nice as pie about at the time, very apologetic, offer to pay in cash etc to avoid loss of NCB, and when they find out that the repair bill is four figures then it turns nasty. Insurance companies will always play hardball so do all you can to protect your position.

Be very very careful in your wording of any accident description. Clever insurers and legal people will it pick apart in an attempt to prove their client was not at fault, or to limit the damage.
  • I was expecting to wake up on Saturday really really bruised and achy but actually have got away incredibly lightly, think I was very very lucky. I cycled home from work on Friday and took it very easy but was fine.

My left side is generally sore but the bruising is nothing on what I thought it would be. Walking was sore as I think I pulled something in my inner thigh but a long walk on Sat afternoon (husbands car broke down and had to walk to a shop to get stuff to fix it!) that seemed a lot better on Sunday. I actually managed to go sailing on Sunday although my left thigh didn't appreciate all my weight on it hiking off the side of a laser in strong winds!

I haven't reported the accident as I think she will have learnt her lesson and will be paying more attention in future. We all got away incredibly lucky, if there had been any more damage/injury I would definitely have reported it. Carrera Subways are made of strong stuff it seems as it has barely a scratch on it. My panniers will have protected the rear and I think my legs protected the rest!

I'm also very thankful for the locked bike sheds I keep my bike in - bit more shook up than I thought on Friday when I got to work as didn't lock my bike up. Only realised at the end of the day when I went to go home.

Will be back on the bike tomorrow (in the car today as had to take it to the garage).