Pitiful weather....who went out on Sunday anyway ?

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
ME !!!!!!!!!!

I did a 40 miler, the howling wind didnt really burden me for the first 30 miles and I was sittin around 18.8 mph average, then the 10 mile stretch home was like riding whilst towing a caravan behind me :roll: talk about riding straight into a headwind, needless to say my 18.8 mph average slid down the porcelain throne with a splat.

This weather is driving me nutz lately , but you cant duck cycling just cos its windy I suppose :P Who else braved the woeful weather today and how was your ride ?

Jimmy

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I did 70 miles to Lllandegla MTB centre and back. Headwind all the way out there up the hills, was very hard work. And even though logic tells you that a headwind outleg is followed by a tailwind return leg, my overall average was still way down.
    I hate the wind, but it's all good training I suppose :evil:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Not this Sunday, but NEXT SUNDAY!!! Next Sunday is gonna be Amazing!!! Why?
    Cause I've been off the bike since 4th July, due to injury.
    So, 1st November, the sick note finishes, and I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEE...

Been doin' loadsa Turbo, Weights, Circuits, Stretching...but no "proper" riding.
    And...I've got a brand new bike, and an older frame made up with brand new bits.

So...Sunday, next Sunday... It's gonna be fandabbydozzy!
    ( Unless the weathers bad, of course.)
  • 72 Miles with what I am sure was headwind all the way. It was the hardest 70+ I have done for a while, on the up side it was dry. (Wind = Good Training)
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    yeah, it was windy.
    now i'm a bit of a wussy 17 stone fair weather cyclist who has accepted a challenge of a 75 mile sportive in march and is trying to ride 2000 miles before it so i went out today (in case i run out of riding time before the sportive) and i bloody enjoyed it!
    yes, hard as f*** at times but its good for you!
    great training, went like s*** with the tailwind and learnt how to get into a tight tuck into the headwind!
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    this afternoon was chatting to some roadies waiting for the mtbers to turn up...

They went on a training ride and said how fun it was with the wind, way out 18mph, way back almost 25mph...
  • I did 30 odd mile, up over a fell road and back. Head a nasty cross wind heading north, it pushed me up the fell, but the ride back was a slog.

First time I've got out in 2 weeks (not had the time, so been running instead), so it felt good to spin the legs.

Just enjoying a cuppa before heading out for a longer ride this morning, in a calm breeze and the sun! :lol:
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I got out for 75 hilly and insanely windy miles yesterday too.

I don't know if it is particular to the Chilterns, but I can seem to ride into a headwind constantly on a 75 mile loop, I swear the wind swirls round this area in the opposite direction to whatever way the majority of cyclists are going!

Add to that, my Thursday training ride round the Velodrome (outdoor) was again into a headwind all the way round, but that is a feature of Reading velodrome, it has a localised whirlwind that goes in the opposite direction to the track. There was also a big black ferret running round, he was very confused, and very difficult to herd off the track. It was like an episode of Benny Hill, watching the sports centre staff trying to corral it through the barrier gate, and made the track fees seem very good value....
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Absolutely glorious down the South East this Sunday, just as well as it the annual reliability trial, far nicer to do 100 miles in decent weather than the wind and rain. Did have a headwind some of the way, but nothing too horrendous.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Last sunday I did 100 miles on Dartmoor
    The weather was pretty good, bit windy
  • SBezza wrote:
    Absolutely glorious down the South East this Sunday, just as well as it the annual reliability trial, far nicer to do 100 miles in decent weather than the wind and rain. Did have a headwind some of the way, but nothing too horrendous.

Gotta agree. Don't know where the OP is from but beautiful day here in Kent. Done an easy 40 miles in glorious sunshine.
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    redwinnie wrote:
    SBezza wrote:

Gotta agree. Don't know where the OP is from but beautiful day here in Kent. Done an easy 40 miles in glorious sunshine.

lucky sod !!

weather in n.ireland was greyer than one of john major`s suits with a wind that hit you right between the eyes. I had to laugh when a guy in LBS told me that all these english and welsh riders come over to n.ireland bragging about their averages and so on, after one good dose of n.ireland wind and coastal conditions they leave our shores with a different perspective indeed, suppose the same could be said about northern scottish rides too, some horrendous weather in that part of the UK for cyclists to contend with also.

N.Irish and Scottish both share a wicked sense of humour and atrocious weather for sure, our beers are a helluva lot better than that piddle they call bitter which is sold below the watford gap........LOL :lol:

Jimmy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SBezza wrote:

Snap, ended up doing 107 due to a wrong turn, did Linton hill with 85 miles in. :D