Can't stop eating after a long session!

Richard-Dublin
Richard-Dublin Posts: 99
edited November 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I've been mountain-biking for just over a year now. I ride 3-4 times per week, have lost 2.5 stone and I'm really starting to get fit. I raced in the Sports catagory this year but want to move up to Vets for next season.
I ride with a club (which is the main reason I've made good progress) and we do a 3-4 hour spin on a Sunday. I will usually burn 1800-2000 calories on these spins - according to my Garmin. The problem is that when I come home I'm starving and I eat all around me for the rest of the day! I feel I'm losing some of the benefit of the long training session. Has anyone got any suggestions on something that I could eat when I get in that will satisfy my hunger and help me control the mad eating?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    there really isn't anything. Best thing when training is to graze constantly, try to keep it healthy though.
  • mihaibu
    mihaibu Posts: 15
    I've been mountain-biking for just over a year now. I ride 3-4 times per week, have lost 2.5 stone and I'm really starting to get fit. I raced in the Sports catagory this year but want to move up to Vets for next season.
    I ride with a club (which is the main reason I've made good progress) and we do a 3-4 hour spin on a Sunday. I will usually burn 1800-2000 calories on these spins - according to my Garmin. The problem is that when I come home I'm starving and I eat all around me for the rest of the day! I feel I'm losing some of the benefit of the long training session. Has anyone got any suggestions on something that I could eat when I get in that will satisfy my hunger and help me control the mad eating?
    When you start to drop some weight, your body tends to oppose for a while; eat some pasta and/or fruits after the training, nothing more; your body will become accustomed after 2-3 months and will cease to demand extra-calories intake. Also, drink plenty of water during the day.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Stay off processed foods and eat slowly
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    have something, but then you have to deal with the hunger,its a mental step that all people loosing weight have to get over but after a while the smaller portions or not eating a load after a heavy session will die off,

good work though fella, I've been riding 2/3 times a week since Spring and lost a grand total of -5lbs (thats right weight on! :x )
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Eat during you ride say a bannana or a couple of fig rolls,this stops your sugar levels dropping and keeps you from raiding the fridge when you get home.I take a protein shake after i get in just before my shower,this usually kills my hunger for a while so I can prepare a decent recovery meal.

Remember eat smart not lots.
  • eat some pasta and/or fruits after the training, nothing more

Personally I would avoid carbs after training. They're just likely to lead to the binges the OP is having as your blood sugar spikes.

concentrate on getting quality protein into your body immediately after the ride. It makes you feel fuller and will aid muscle growth. Lean meat, fish or a good protein shake.
  • Just a quick update.
    Today as soon as I came in, I put a banana, a heaped teaspoon of Drinking Chocolate and about 3/4 of a pint of skimmed milk into a jug and whisked it with a hand blender. It tasted great and completely took the edge of my hungar for the afternoon! Definately the way forward for me!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    After a workout I eat a banana and take thermobol tablet , its a fat burner but it takes the edge off my appetite
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Firstly ensure your adequately fuelled pre ride. If the ride is reasonably intense (ave HR above 70%max) and last over an hr then you will definitely need to replenish you carbohydrate stores (glycogen). Carbs on their own however will not fill you up as mych as protein which offers much greater satiety( feeling of fullness). The beauty of this is that protein is also required to repair muscle dammage which ocurrs on a microscopic level aftr intense rides. Try and consume a 2:1 carb protein ratio post ride which will enhance recovery better thn carbs alone and leadto a feeling of fullness. 30min post ride is thebest window to begin refuelling where your muscles simply suck up the carbs you put in, BUT only to the tune of 350Kcals per hr for an average 12st man. After a hrd ride your stomach will be small and you may not wana eat, here a low fat milkshake is great and offers lean protein and carbs, then an hour after your ready fr your second hit in the form of real food, a handfull of pasta and fist sized chicken breast with plenty of veg will aid to te feeling of fullness. As will rehydrating
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Try a spoonfull of peanut butter in your shake as well,extra protein.