OT - Huffy Green Machine

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Trying to think of Christmas presents for the kids - Girl 7 and Boy 5 which will get them out of the house and away from the video games for a while

Obviously :roll: have bikes, which they love.

Spotted these in the LBS and thought they looked great

green-machine-2006-small.jpg

Has anyone on here bought one?

Any thoughts?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• PARIS75
    PARIS75 Posts: 85
    a neighbour of mine's kid has one of those..live in a cul de sac on a slight incline and it gets a great deal of use....they seem to love it
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I'd make sure you got a decent set of lights, some clip in's and mudguards for the winter commute.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Our neighbour has one for their kids too. Gets a lot of use too. The back wheels are that hard plastic so they can get some good slides going on it too.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Both my kids have one each - they've had a couple of crashes where they've been going a bit too fast when they slammed on the brake and spun it (handbrake turn style), but they love them. They had them last Xmas and it's surprised me how long the rear wheels have lasted, expect a hole in them soon. You need to have tolerant neighbours though, the hard wheels make quite a bit of noise, particulalrly when doing a 360 :lol:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Do they do one for adults? :D
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    downfader wrote:

ME WANT ME WANT ME WANT :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    PARIS75 wrote:
    a neighbour of mine's kid has one of those..live in a cul de sac on a slight incline and it gets a great deal of use....they seem to love it
    Be honest now, its your own you are talking about, isn't it?
  • PARIS75
    PARIS75 Posts: 85
    PARIS75 wrote:
    Be honest now, its your own you are talking about, isn't it?

Kettcar is more my style :wink:

kettler-kettcar-safari-gt-450.jpg
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Being originally from downunder, thats something I don't get about the UK, the idea of a bike for Christmas.

I mean its freezing cold outside, dull and grey and with stuff all daylight, likely raining, and you give children a toy they can only use if they go play outside?

Is this some kind of sadistic joke? What do you give them if they've actually been naughty? Not coal I assume because they could at least burn that and be warm?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    chuckcork wrote:
    Being originally from downunder, thats something I don't get about the UK, the idea of a bike for Christmas.

I mean its freezing cold outside, dull and grey and with stuff all daylight, likely raining, and you give children a toy they can only use if they go play outside?

Is this some kind of sadistic joke? What do you give them if they've actually been naughty? Not coal I assume because they could at least burn that and be warm?

We're British! we have a twisted sense of humour and we like to taunt our off spring with gifts they cannot used for 6 months of the year.

It's our punishment to them for being born and taking away our freedom and money :wink:
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Those Green Machine's have been around since I was a kid. Always wanted one but too big for one thesedays ..shame
    They got em for 5'7 44 yr olds?

Chuckcork ..what part of Oz? Bribane here
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    chuckcork wrote:

Being from Northern Ireland it doesn't pay to wait for good weather :D
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    downfader wrote:

Yeah- they're called recumbents, and they have proper tyres & gears, instead of a 24"(?) fixed wheel!

Cheers,
    W.