If you had £1,000 to spend on a bike...

jobysp
jobysp Posts: 68
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
If you had £1k to spend on a bike which would be used for commuting, what would you be buying and why?

Sorry, I forgot to add that I already have a Specialized Secteur and Boardman Hybrid Comp, and would have to get the bike from Evans.
My cycle blog at www.biking2work.co.uk and check out www.fightbaddriving.co.uk.

Comments

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    jobysp wrote:
    If you had £1k to spend on a bike which would be used for commuting, what would you be buying and why?

Sorry, I forgot to add that I already have a Specialized Secteur and Boardman Hybrid Comp, and would have to get the bike from Evans.

Ribble :D

you know what your gonna buy mate :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I wouldn't spend £1k on a commuting bike, but only because my cycling colleagues are a bunch of clumsy gits who don't give a toss about scratching/knocking it out of the rack etc. The Viner (£1k with the enforced wheel upgrade) will get used for the commute when hell freezes over....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,928
    You already have the good road bike and commuter bike covered, maybe go single speed? A grand seems a bit much for a third bike though.

Once you have a decent bike, I'm a great believer in the merits of upgrading your kit instead of expensive bike upgrades which won't improve your overall cycling experience.

eg DHB instead of cheapo shorts, Castelli instead of DHB, Assos instead of Castelli
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • J.Y.Kelly
    J.Y.Kelly Posts: 405
    I'd save another grand and get something custom built. 8)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Kona Jake the Snake - come to the Dark Side - we have cookies :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I'd buy a light singlespeed mountain bike or strong singlespeed road bikebut I would spend £500 and put the rest towards a new roadbike for the weekends.
  • Kona Jake the Snake - come to the Dark Side - we have cookies :)

I have just bougt this- i LOVE it!! Got a bit of a bargain for a 2009 model too :D
  • mugs
    mugs Posts: 46
    I just bought a Jake (not snake) on cyclescheme for commuting. I would have preferred a more expensive bike but needed the little bit left over for additional kit, and since I'll be going through woods the Jake has the best spec in my price range. If I'd had the full £1k just for a bike I'd have got one of those Viners from epic, and wouldn't mind sticking to the roads even if it was a bit more circuitous.

If I could only choose from Evans though I'd probably go for the Scott that cjcp linked to.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Kona Jake the Snake - come to the Dark Side - we have cookies :)

...and capes... everyone looks good in a cape 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    One question though: is this £1K on the BIKE or the bike and supporting paraphenalia?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jobysp
    I can spend the whole £1k on the bike.

I currently use the Boardman to commute 4 days a week and the Specialized one day a week due to me having to take my daughter to nursery.

I don't have to use the new bike for commuting BUT as its on C2W... ... ;)

I was looking at this:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... query=Kona

but would prefer a triple as I'll be mooching on some big rides on it.

And if this was a little cheaper - I'd be looking at something like this too:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... query=2009
  • tailwindhome
    @Jobysp

Are you sure that Evans will accept C2W on a reduced price bike?

I don't understand buying another bike essentially the same as one you already have even if it is on c2w.

What about cyclocross, a tourer, singlespeed, fixed or even a mountain bike
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jobysp
    When I did my last C2W I got felt QX80 at the sale price, so yes - I can't see that being a problem.

That was stolen, hence me ending up with the two bikes I have now.

One of these will end up being sold off eventually, and it's always good to have a back up bike if something goes wrong and it has to disappear to the LBS for a week.

Plus, with my daughter getting to the size now where she won't be able to sit on a bike seat on the Hybrid soon (3 stone limit) - I would be, towards the beginning of next year, be using this new bike for my every day commute anyways.

I must also add that the Secteur that I have is the bottom end one picked up from Evans for £490 (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec019551)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If it's C2W why does it have to be evans?

Sounds like you like cycling on the road and not offroad so that rules out mountain bike (could got a nice front or full suspension one at 1k). Given that the only thing missing from your list (+exemptions i.e must have gears) is carbon fibre....

Can you not add money too the voucher? Even if you're told no, doesn't hurt to ask...

Personally, I would spend the money on cycling kit... helmet, lights, new lock, maybe wheels, especially clothes....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jobysp
    My company only deal with Evans Cycles, so am limited to them and yes I can add money to it if I wish (I did last year)

It will also be used very little for off road riding as my commute is 20 miles of road riding, and the longer rides I do at the weekends are all road rides too.

As for kit - I'm kitted out - helmet, clothes, lights get swapped around on the bike that I am using at the time, I have a Garmin Edge, locks, gloves, helmet, Muvi helmet camera... Pretty much everything I need :)
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Think a Btwin would suit you mate TBH

You know, for the money, there isnt much to beat the CAAD 9
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • jobysp
    I've just checked the Kona again - its 20 speed... Potential in that one - will get them to order one in tomorrow and take it for a spin one lunchtime.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    My Fixed was £1k and more........ certainly not Evans......spit.........

Custom Spec from the LBS..... very happy with it...have a chat with Gaz, he knows where mine comes from....
    :)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Only real choice at £1k is the CAAD9 (from Evans). I would stretch to BB30 105 over Tiagra though.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Go SS Specialized Langster!! I love mine!

Jay dubbleU
    Kona Jake the Snake - come to the Dark Side - we have cookies

:lol:

Yes a Jake the snake is a great solid bike too.

• Yes a Jake the snake is a great solid bike too.

Too right. Especially the 09 as the ditched the juddery Avid brakes and replaced them with the Kore Race ones. A mode that I've done myself to my 08 JtS. MY only complaint about it would be the FSA BB is not as mud and waterproof as it should be. However its Shimano replacement seems to be holding up better. :)

Mike
  • i've just bought a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra Triple to use when its wet and for work and i had full mudguardsfiitted (look sad but work good), really comfortable but still prettty fast, I've got the carbon one aswell but it was getting too messed up for every day use.
    sold my mtb which i hardly used since buying a road bike to pay for it
  • You already have the good road bike and commuter bike covered, maybe go single speed? A grand seems a bit much for a third bike though.

Once you have a decent bike, I'm a great believer in the merits of upgrading your kit instead of expensive bike upgrades which won't improve your overall cycling experience.
    Come on! You don't #have# to spend >£1,000 on a bike, particularly on a third one, but there are plenty of us (ahem) who over the years have amassed several nice bikes.

What tends to happen is you buy some nice stuff for your best bike, and the replaced parts get trickled down to the other bikes. This is the incremental approach to bike buying, but it isn't cost -efficient. It is relatively much cheaper to buy a complete bike, particularly so if you can get it under some sort of tax-free scheme.

I'm a +1 for the fixed option for the third bike. You can pick up plenty of lovely ones at either the £500 or £800 price points (see threads on londonfixedgearsinglespeed forum) and easily go the custom route up to £1,000 and beyond. In 12 months I might...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113
    You already have the good road bike and commuter bike covered, maybe go single speed? A grand seems a bit much for a third bike though.

Aha but it will only actually cost £500-600 ish through cycle2work won't it :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    This Then upgrade gruppo later on...
  • tailwindhome
    Come on! You don't #have# to spend >£1,000 on a bike, particularly on a third one, but there are plenty of us (ahem) who over the years have amassed several nice bikes.

JobySP has clarified that the Specialized Secteur(sp?) he already has is the base model which IIRC comes with the budget shimano groupset (the one below Sora)

So what he is really looking for is an upgrade to a sunday best road bike which would, if you had the money, make sense.

What wouldn't make sense would be buying a bike, even on c2w, which would be the same level of spec and used for the same purpose as one you already have.

Edit Liking Il Principes suggestion
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Bike I currently ride a Focus Variado was great value at £599. Add a decent wheelset it's great.