Marin IFT custom build WIP - Finished!! 26-11-09

MacAndCheese
MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
edited November 2009 in Your mountain bikes
FINISHED PICTURES ON PAGE 3

After doing a long ride on my Wolf ridge and getting punished by it's slight lardyness, i've decided to make a start on my new lightweight XC build. Basis for the build is a 'New' 07 Marin Indian Fire Trail Frame(some of you may recognise this has been on the forum before!):
IFTframe.jpg

Most parts will come from my Kona:
KonaDoner.jpg

With a few new sparkly bits:

Ritchey bars in white:
Ritcheybar.jpg

USE carbon post and matching collar:
Seatpost.jpg
Seatcollar.jpg

Goodridge cable outers and FSA headset:
Cables.jpg

The full specs will be:
Frame: Marin IFT 2007
Forks: Fox F100RLC 2009
Bars: Ritchey WCS 660mm in 'wet white'
Stem: Hope XC 90mm
Headset: FSA
Grips: Specialized lock-on white
Seat: WTB Rocket V
Seat Post: USE carbon
Seat Post Clamp: USE
Transmission: All XT apart from Deore front mech
Brakes: Hope Mini Mono (old style)
Wheels: Hope Hoops - Pro 3 SP with DT Swiss 4.2 rims.
Santa Cruz Chameleon
Orange Alpine 160

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i'm sure i have seen that frame before :? :lol:
    that's going to look awesome mate 8)
  • MacAndCheese
    Yep! :) just like to say thanks to Cheesey- really quick to respond to my questions and packed and sent the frame very professionally. It's in brilliant condition- really annoyed I haven't got time to built it until next weekend!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • bram
    bram Posts: 16
    hi mac frame looks very good what does it weigh ?
    bram
  • MacAndCheese
    Hi Bram, Not sure of exact weight of the frame, I'm hoping the whole bike will come in around 23-24lbs ish when finished, just ordered some scales to check. Don't think it will be as light as your Rocky (superb bike by the way).
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    is it cheesys old one that got replaced by the one off, america only, turquois thng?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • MacAndCheese
    is it cheesys old one that got replaced by the one off, america only, turquois thng?

Yep. Been looking for a lightweight frame for while, wanted a white one, so Cheesey's was perfect and the right size to boot so I snapped it up. (would still like his team ltd. edition though!)

By the way I'm not a Marin Fanboy, despite the fact I'll have 3 Marins when this is finished! Honest!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Nice, i do like the marins, but i'm not sure i could have two white bikes.

Maybe an orange marin with blue accents, that'd be ace.
  • Glad you like the frame - any further progress on the build? :wink:
  • You could be in my position mate, my frame is sitting in a box and not going to be complete until January i think!

I think that machine will look class, lovely frame.

As soon as i seen the white cables i was searching for a set for my own build. So thanks for that!

Good luck with her :D

Adam
  • MacAndCheese
    No progress yet, been working every evening this week so unfortunately haven't even ridden,let alone build. Got a couple of bits in the post today will post some update pics at the weekend...
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • nice one, its gonna look great!!

MInes nearly finished now, just need to index my gears tomorrow.... have not had much time TBH lately.......

may have some new brakes to fit........ :wink:
  • MacAndCheese
    unfortunatly not had any real time to spend on this today.

1 new bit, Charge chainstay protection:
    IMG_4647.jpg

Not really a part, but I got some new scales through to weight it, only a fiver so don't know how accurate:
    IMG_4648.jpg

I want to completely strip back and clean all the parts I move from the Kona. Started today with grips and saddle, grips came up really well, was quite suprised.
    BEFORE:
    IMG_4642.jpg

AFTER:
    IMG_4646.jpg

Thats all for this weekend :(
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i must say im a fan of white coloured bikes

i have the black version of those grips, i really like them, how do you find them
    what are brakes for again
  • MacAndCheese
    I really like them, quite thin- but I've got small hands. They get dirty really quickly though!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Shire
    Shire Posts: 59
    That's gonna be one lovely bike!

Good job on the saddle/grips clean up too!
  • bram
    bram Posts: 16
    very nice frame would not mind one myself,is there eny flex in it ,looks like a singletrack missile,by the way just fitted crossmaks with tubeless tyres to my rocky,scales are just hovering above 20 ib
    bram
  • What is that charge chainstay protector made of? Looks really good.
  • MacAndCheese
    HandjobDan wrote:
    What is that charge chainstay protector made of? Looks really good.

Its neoprene backed with a perforated leatherette front (PVC or PU would be my guess) ...wanted something a bit different to the normal lizard skin, and this was cheaper!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • jay12
    HandjobDan wrote:
    What is that charge chainstay protector made of? Looks really good.

Its neoprene backed with a perforated leatherette front (PVC or PU would be my guess) ...wanted something a bit different to the normal lizard skin, and this was cheaper!
    i saw it on wiggle for £3 :D is it velcro? or do you fit it somehow else?
  • MacAndCheese
    it is velcro, It took a good few attempts to get it right as it's nowhere near as stretchy as a normal lizard skin so getting it on tight takes some technique.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • jay12
    it is velcro, It took a good few attempts to get it right as it's nowhere near as stretchy as a normal lizard skin so getting it on tight takes some technique.
    ok thanks
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    That will be cracking when built.

Have you used the sumo seatpost before? The reason I ask is because I had one on my Scale 20 and found the clamp to be crap, I had times when the saddle would tilt and on tightening it to stop it the plastic on the rail clamp cracked.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20 wrote:
    That will be cracking when built.

Have you used the sumo seatpost before? The reason I ask is because I had one on my Scale 20 and found the clamp to be crap, I had times when the saddle would tilt and on tightening it to stop it the plastic on the rail clamp cracked.

That came with the frame I sold MAC, I used it and loved it, sadly didnt fit my new frame, it was fine (and Im 14 stone) ;)
  • After having to use my kona again at the weekend I finally got round to starting to strip it down tonight, ready to move bits onto the Marin.

Also got a new XT front mech (the only part of the drive chain that wasn't XT):
    XTmechFront.jpg

Removed the wheels from the Kona:
    BEFORE CLEANING
    WheelsBefore1.jpg
    WheelBefore2.jpg

AFTER CLEANING:
    Wheelafter.jpg
    WheelAfter2.jpg

Next Job was to remove the Cranks and and BB:
    BEFORE CLEANING
    CranksBefore.jpg
    BBBefore.jpg

AFTER CLEANING:
    CranksAfter.jpg
    BBAfter.jpg

And that's all I had time for tonight!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • That's going to look great when you get it up and built Mac - awesome! 8)
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Haven't you built this yet??? :wink:

Are the wheels Hoops (DT4.2's on Pro II's)? Also, what model are those Spesh tyres?
  • adb1006 wrote:
    Haven't you built this yet??? :wink:

Are the wheels Hoops (DT4.2's on Pro II's)? Also, what model are those Spesh tyres?

I want to give Da Mighty Chicken a run for his money for longest WIP thread with no build :) Seriously though next week is looking good for some spare time to really get cracking.

Hubs are Hope Pro III SP ( Straight Pull version of the hub which IMO look great.)
    Rims are DT Swiss 4.2

Currently got my cheap winter tires on - Spesh "storm contol" front, Spesh "the captain" rear...by the way, getting spesh tyres onto the DT rims is a pig of a job (DT rims come up big I think).
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Ah, cheers. Getting my old spesh tyres on/off was a fooking nightmare too! The Captains 2bliss s-works are a piece of p1ss though - even getting them to seat to tubeless rims.

Hubs are lovely :oops:
    For some reason i thought Pro III's had that wierd 3-stud pattern though :?
  • There is a 'normal' 6 bolt pattern, the XC 3 Bolt rotors and AM 4 bolt rotors. Mmmmmmmm Nice Wheels!