On-One 456's ?

stevet1992
stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
edited November 2009 in MTB general
So whats happening with the 456's then ? Last thing i heard there was rumours that they was going to stop producing the frames, Was there any truth to this ?

As you can probally tell im looking to build one up as a LT hardtail ... Wont have the money for the frame till 2 weeks time so im hoping that they dont sell out of 20" frames :roll:
On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They are still producing them with new colours and these will be out within next few weeks, see link below:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12658205
  • stevet1992
    guybe wrote:
    They are still producing them with new colours and these will be out within next few weeks, see link below:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12658205

Read your post just before posting funnily enough ... Are these new frame colours here to stay then or just one off run ?

• stevet1992
    Anyone else ?

Plan is to build it up as follows

Frame -On-One 456 £135
    Fork ? -Roughly £300 to spend Want something around 140mm
    Wheels -WTB Speed Disc AM’s + Hope Pro 2 Already owned
    Chainset -SLX Double And Bash £79.99
    Bottom Bracket -SLX Included with chainset
    Pedals -Shimano M520 Already owned
    Brakes -SLX Servo wave £169.95
    Shifters -SRAM X-7 £27.00
    Front Mech -SRAM X-7 £28
    Rear Mech -SRAM X-7 £44.99
    Saddle -WTB Rocket £34.99
    Stem -Raceface £45.95
    Seatpost -Raceface Inculded with stem
    Handlebar -Raceface As above
    Grips -DMR Loc’d On £9
    Headset - Any Ideas?
    Chain + Casette -SRAM PG-970 £36.95

Total so far £911ish ... Any changes/ ideas for fork and headset?

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Where'd you see a double-and-bash for £80 still?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stevet1992
    Northwind wrote:
    Where'd you see a double-and-bash for £80 still?

Sorry my bad its £89.95 ! http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... inset.html

• Northwind
    Dang :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Fork choice is easy!On One have just put RS Revelaition air 140mm,for £275 on their site.2010 version too so have the new lowers and much lighter than last year`s version.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • i am awaiting delivery of an on one 456 16". i have also bought a set of 2010 revelation race 120mm-150mm (internally adjustable) with maxle from rutland for £350. should be a good match!

i am swapping the majority of the parts of a norco six i got for ch££p but i too was looking at headset options. you can get a cane creek s3 for £26 if you look hard enough. also merlin have the fsa orbit mx in black for £27.95. i went for the cane creek though due to the lower stack height.

i notice that merlin have this truvativ double and bash the same model i am swapping over from the norco for £56.95!
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... -bash.html

Adam
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Yes go for revelations. If you can stretch for it, you can get the best versions (ones I've got)

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=6109

Adjustable travel, so you can still do big climbs easily.

And I won't say what headset you should get, cause people will just start moaning that they don't have enough money for one so clearly it isn't the right choice.. But do you like the colour of my garage? :wink:

Image0052.jpg
  • stevet1992
    Well thats settled then Rev's it is !

Nice bike Realman ... I love how your brake levers/ grip clamps match the colour of your garage :lol:

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    for you're information, blue is the standard colour for the 456, other colours are a limited run so if you want one don't waste any time....they wont be around for long...I'd go for an orange summer season if I were you :)

Just bought a standard white inbred as i needed it to colour match components I already have...
  • stevet1992
    ravey1981 wrote:
    for you're information, blue is the standard colour for the 456, other colours are a limited run so if you want one don't waste any time....they wont be around for long...I'd go for an orange summer season if I were you :)

Just bought a standard white inbred as i needed it to colour match components I already have...

Ahh this answers my question ... Thanks alot would love to order one right now but alas im not paid for another 2 weeks :(

• lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    RealMan wrote:
    Yes go for revelations. If you can stretch for it, you can get the best versions (ones I've got)

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=6109

Adjustable travel, so you can still do big climbs easily.

And I won't say what headset you should get, cause people will just start moaning that they don't have enough money for one so clearly it isn't the right choice.. But do you like the colour of my garage? :wink:

Image0052.jpg

i was thinking of a 456, to replace my frame ( scott aspect 45) would be running 100mm forks

whats it feel like? i ride mostly at llandegla, bit on road, is the frame racey? other frame i was thinking of was a rock lobster team tig sl ( hope thats right!?)

lot lighter but dearer, am on a budget, and its a treat for myself on upcoming 40th BD :D
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • ravey1981
    lesz42

If you're only going to run 100mm forks then a normal "non sliding dropout" inbred would be a better match. £125.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Keep ypur Scott! The Aspect is a good budget frame, light and tough.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    i respect sonics advice!

with the wheels off, the bike feels heavy, think its down to the chainset ( alivio i think) and the kona jacksits

so will instead get slx or the new deore chainset? and mg1 pedals, should knock off a bit of weight

and may spend my wages in the newyear on a full sus?

sorry for hijacking this
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Alivio chainset and BB will be about 1100g - SLX will save you 200g for £100.

The Wellgo MG1 is 380g, and will save you about 150g over the Konas.
  • AlexS
    AlexS Posts: 18
    I got a 456 back in April when their price peaked with the poor exchange rate! The bikes on their site now look great and are a bargain.

It is a great frame and to be honest I cannot think of a frame twice the price that I would want to swap it for. They look far better 'in the flesh' than they do in the pictures on the site. I have built mine up tough with an SLX group set and Mavic EN521 rims. My fork is nothing special - a Rockshox Recon, but does the job fine. All the other parts are fairly cheap like On-One 456 stem, Easton bars, etc. Not the lighest bike around with a build like that, but gives me confidence that I can thrash it. I also like the fact the frames are long, so someone tall like me can get one that fits and still run a short stem.

stevet1992, have a look at On-ones site for things like headsets and forks. They have FSA headsets going cheap and often have other good deals. As far as the other bits, I originally wanted to mix SRAM and Shimano, but in the end it worked out far more economical to just buy a full SLX groupset from Merlin. There are a couple of bits I maybe would have specced differently, but in the end it saved quite a bit.
  • stevet1992
    AlexS wrote:
    I got a 456 back in April when their price peaked with the poor exchange rate! The bikes on their site now look great and are a bargain.

It is a great frame and to be honest I cannot think of a frame twice the price that I would want to swap it for. They look far better 'in the flesh' than they do in the pictures on the site. I have built mine up tough with an SLX group set and Mavic EN521 rims. My fork is nothing special - a Rockshox Recon, but does the job fine. All the other parts are fairly cheap like On-One 456 stem, Easton bars, etc. Not the lighest bike around with a build like that, but gives me confidence that I can thrash it. I also like the fact the frames are long, so someone tall like me can get one that fits and still run a short stem.

stevet1992, have a look at On-ones site for things like headsets and forks. They have FSA headsets going cheap and often have other good deals. As far as the other bits, I originally wanted to mix SRAM and Shimano, but in the end it worked out far more economical to just buy a full SLX groupset from Merlin. There are a couple of bits I maybe would have specced differently, but in the end it saved quite a bit.

Will do ... I will probally grab a headset from on-one when i purchase the frame anyways as IIRC they will fit it for you before shipping ?

I was toying over the idea at work of just a SLX groupset ... Would work out cheaper but then i wouldnt have the double and bash :?

So what is it to be then Summer season with the headangle changes and a fork around 130mm or Normal with a travel adjust fork around 150mm ?

• ravey1981
    I think you mean the other way round? Summer season takes the longer fork...
  • stevet1992
    ravey1981 wrote:
    I think you mean the other way round? Summer season takes the longer fork...

I thought the idea was that the summer season had different angles etc so that you could run a shorter fork whilst having the same kind of feel as a longer one ?

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Just spent 2 hours out on my 456, air u-turn pikes, 719 on hope hubs, mono minis, thomson stem, easton carbon monkeybars, raceface post, gobi saddle, full xt go-bits, ghetto tubeless rampage tyres (2.3" up front and 2.1 rear) mg-1 pedals

Such a hoot, at some point i'm getting a dropper post with remote as i could really use one methinks, I'd like to get some new revs for the front to drop 1/2kg and make it pop a bit more. It's is just a hooligan of a bike.

I've got a singlespeed inbred too with sids, raceface deus cranks, spank bar and stem, and it's going to have dt XR 4.2d on hope hubs with sapim cx-ray spokes and avid elixir CR carbon brakes. It's so much more liftable, you can just leap over so much trail detritus and float around both climbing and descending. Although being singlespeed it bloody kills me.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I have had a few on-ones the inbred takes up to 120mm and the summer session works best with 130mm-160mm I run mine with a 130mm and It works well, It also has a slacker head angle.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Black
    Black Posts: 172
    How do you get to test the frame or bike before you buy.
    Also is the 456 better than the Orange Crush?
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I thought the idea was that the summer season had different angles etc so that you could run a shorter fork whilst having the same kind of feel as a longer one ?

Yup that's right. It's designed to be 66.6 degree head angle with a 130mm fork. WIth a longer fork than that it's going to be mega-slack and I suspect very wandery uphill.

Can't wait to get mine and start building!
  • stevet1992
    So what are we looking at for fork length then on both the normal and summer season ?

Pretty much made my mind up on one of these ! Im assuming if people are building them up with pikes etc the frames are strong enough to take drops and jumps ? (Not massive ones obviously !)

• Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I've just ordered a 456 frame, and plan to run it for now on my 100mm reba races. I'll be taking the spacer out eventually to make them 120mm travel.
    Loving the brown/cream frame!

The 456 takes 4,5 or 6 inch forks. The Summer Season is a slacker head angle with a 5" fork & a bit more burly?
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

I'm thinking of the 456 and running either rigid forks or my 100mm Recons.

I find the website quite confusing really so i'm asking here what would be the best one?

456 Summer or the normal one?

Thanks,
    Rob.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I would say If you are going to run rigid the Inbred would be best.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Northwind
    Makes sense that. Unless you run 130mm-corrected 29er forks :lol: Scandal or Inbred goes well with rigid...
    Uncompromising extremist