sending a bike with parcelforce

kevcampbell
kevcampbell Posts: 125
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi i have sold a trials bike on ebay, need to post it, i am planning to post it with parcelforce

but i have no bike box, none of the shops near me have a bike box and i dont drive

can i just send the bike as it is or does it need to be in a box?
My blog: http://kevincampbellsblog.blogspot.com
Follow my biking journeys and my path in photography and you will also be able to read about much more too including reviews, and all sorts of random rubbish that may amuse or interest you

Comments

• It will need to be in a box.
    Whereabouts are you? there's a guy on the classifieds who is giving one away if you can pick it up. He's in York.

You tried Halfords? they should have some there.
  • Just be careful when using a box. Parcel force have new health and safety regulations in olace that state that boxes cannot be bigger than a specific size.
    I just posted a cannondale with them last week and had to get a smaller box and really break the bike apart and pack it like a can of sardines to send it. best to contact thme first.
  • Yep, the regulations state that the box must be no longer than 150cm along it's largest surface (length) and no-more than 300cm total length + height(x2) + width(x2).

To be honest, they don't really stick to it, my Pinnacle which I sent last week came to a total of 330cm and it went fine. Obviously, you do send at your own risk. That was a Mongoose Tyax super box(size medium) I got from the LBS.

My new bike came by Parcelforce in a Orange Apline 160 box (size large) and that was fine too.

I think that so long as it's not stupidly heavy, and you don't take the piss with size, they are pretty cool with it.