Halfords parking

Old Pedaller
Old Pedaller Posts: 104
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
Whilst trying to lock my bike today to the metal cage holding the de-icer outsiide a fairly new Halfords it dawned on me that the company "We go the extra mile" that probably considers itself to be, and may well actually be Britain's biggest bike shop, never has any bike parking facilities at its shops.

I'm sure I've never seen any anyway, certainly not when I have been on a bike.

Is there a reasonable explanation?

Comments

• Whilst trying to lock my bike today to the metal cage holding the de-icer outsiide a fairly new Halfords it dawned on me that the company "We go the extra mile" that probably considers itself to be, and may well actually be Britain's biggest bike shop, never has any bike parking facilities at its shops.

I'm sure I've never seen any anyway, certainly not when I have been on a bike.

Is there a reasonable explanation?

Maybe they put the bike stands an extra mile away?

Halfords seem to have bolted bikes onto their core business model without ever thinking it through properly. That said, the 2 near me do have bike stands so your local one looks like an aberration.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Why not ask the manager in the store?
    He will have more of an idea than us! :D
  • 1 Maybe they put the bike stands an extra mile away?

2 Halfords seem to have bolted bikes onto their core business model without ever thinking it through properly. That said, the 2 near me do have bike stands so your local one looks like an aberration.[/quote]

1 Good answer!

2 Not really - I'm sure my first bike, decades ago, came from Halfords when they were a High Street shop, they've "always" sold bikes.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    my local one doesn't have bike locking facilities - nor does my next closest at preston.

i did realise this when I cycled down to get some brake cables one time and thought it was a bit poor - I had to go lock it to an anti ram-raid barrier at the currys in the same "out of town shopping" place.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605
    Never seen one with bike racks thinking about it.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    There's bike parking at my local Halfords. Two sheffield stands concreted into the ground directly in front of the doors. I'm convinced it's a happy accident though and I don't think Halfords were thinking about cyclists at the time they fitted them. Their placement (and the jaunty angle they have since been bent into) suggest they're were the most cost effective option of stop the ram raiders getting their hands on the speakers, alloys, and 'fast and furious' vinyl graphics held within.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Three sheffield stands right outside the front door of mine (Gloucester). No complaints.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    whats a sheffield stand?
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    gkerr4 wrote:
    whats a sheffield stand?

It's a sexual thing iYorkshire!!!
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Because it's an oversized motor factor that has realised that car manufacturers have now built vehicles that prevent you from doing anything to yourself such as fitting big radios and fixing the brakes and have upped the sale of cheap bikes to resolve the downturn in business caused by control freak car manufacturers.
    Now way in hell am I buying a car newer than the change in approach in Haynes manuals, if they cannae claim to have taken the car a part and rebuilt it (which often seems to not be the case) then why bother buying it.
    Oops </rant>
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • our local one has nowt. there was a battered 4 x butterfly frame lying on the ground for a while but thats gone now.

when I go there, I wheel my bike into the shop and leave it at the back of the tills.

no-ones ever complained