Unpainted Bike Pool on flickr

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited October 2009 in Road general
A fascinating array of steel, unpainted frames here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/unpainted/ ... 991831013/

The slideshow is rather lengthy, but having seen the likes of Chas Roberts and Harry Quinn at work close up I was wholly absorbed.

Your views?
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Wow! Incredible workmanship.
  • I love the look of unpainted frames, just a good thick layer of clear lacquer to protect the steel. Especially if they leave the discolouration from the welding....gurgles quitely to self... :?
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ I'm tempted to do this to my vintage Coventry Eagle (it's going to be painted gunmetal anyway...)

Problem is - if you get a little chip in the lacquer, it's almost impossible to repair invisibly, especially if it has started rusting and lifted an area of lacquer off. With a painted and lacquered frame you can hide repairs with some blending but it just doesn't work on a bare frame. If potentially having a few 'slightly' visible repairs doesn't bother you though (and it doesn't bother me) then it's a really brilliant look.

Same problems with polished aluminium - as lacquer doesn't stick to polished aluminium I tend to leave it bare and use a good quality car wax to keep it shinier for longer. You do have to re-polish it by hand every now and then but it's easier than sanding off all the lacquer and redoing it every time it starts looking a bit tatty...

The Delorian car had a brushed stainless steel bodyshell - the main problem it had was that you couldn't use filler to smooth dents out - once it was dented or deeply scratched you had to live with it or get a new panel!

Really nice slideshow btw.

(PS - Has anyone got the link to the page where you work out your FCN? I had it once, worked it out and then forgot it and can't find it again!)