putting weight on!!

chemicalneil
chemicalneil Posts: 30
edited October 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Help!!

Since starting to hit the gym on a regular basis i am starting to put a few pounds on. I am now 6ft 13st 8 and feel in the best shape of my life. Just concerned i am getting too heavy for optimal riding performance.

Afterall all the pro's are all skinny kind of guys, whats best way to tone up without putting the weight on?

Diet is ok too.

Neil

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lots of lower intensity exercise or less weight, more reps.

6ft and your weight sounds pretty good to me though if you are in shape!
  • I wouldnt worry about to be honest, as long as your happy riding then its all good ;)

only thing is if you want to improve performance then you may need to change your training towards cycling.

I do not look like a typical cyclist at 5'10 and I have been upto 14stone although I am dropping weight at the moment (started to restrict my movement) I am now on average 12-13stone. Nothing to do with cycling its just where I am happy :D
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    toning up is about losing body fat more than anything else really. You can be as stacked as you like, but bodyfat will reduce your definition.

What are you wanting to do with your riding. To get better you generally need to ride more and tailor your training.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I do a lot of weight lifting at the gym, I suppose for being a cross country whippet it isn't that great but for explosive riding upper body strength is good.
    If it's good enough for a gold medalist...
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__2z3YUOwSOo/R ... RIA_01.jpg

I've put on loads of wieght in the last few years going from 9 stone to over 12 but I've got less fat as I do a lot of interval training as well as the weights. Just remember to keep up the cardio as a lot of the weights monkeys never do any. A mix is good. I do about 20 minutes each weight lifting session along with 6 hours of Karate/Kobudo and a bit of Running each week
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Afterall all the pro's are all skinny kind of guys, whats best way to tone up without putting the weight on?

Diet is ok too.

Diet more than anything will determine how your body reacts to training. If you don't want to gain as much weight, just eat less. It's just trial and error finding the right amount to eat which allows you to recover properly, but so as not to gain too much weight. It's probably worth noting that some of the initial weight you gain as you start lifting isn't necessarily muscle or fat but from increased tendon and bone density.etc which really you can have little influence over.
  • jweston
    jweston Posts: 37
    It can be quite normal to put on a little weight as a result of going to gym. Muscle is more dense than fat so it you remain the same size but your % body fat goes down you will get heavier. The thing to remember is that you will need to eat more protein to grow the extra muscles, but you need to be careful you don't consume more fat at the same time?
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I don't remember the exact figure but unless you are roiding you are limited to about 4kg per year of muscle "growth". Any more and you are bulking with fat.

If you want to be big, then low reps, hi weight in either a reverse pyramid or a pyramid. No more than 3 sets per group and split the groups to alternative days. for example shoulders /back, chest/arms, legs. Carb up before and protein after.

If you want to be lean - high reps, high sets, and a full work out.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    It's a myth that high reps and high sets will make you lean/toned/defined or whatever. It will lead to some improvement in muscular endurance whilst giving you a fairly poor cardio workout.

If you're not fat and you're feeling ok then there's no problem - the body is adaptive and will carry the right amount of muscle for the tasks you throw at it.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    pastryboy wrote:
    It's a myth that high reps and high sets will make you lean/toned/defined or whatever. It will lead to some improvement in muscular endurance whilst giving you a fairly poor cardio workout.

I suggest you come along to the speed weights circuit I run, it's pretty brutal cardio. It does lean you up basically the less fat you have the more defined/toned/lean you look.