Kevlar superstar pads......

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I am going to order some superstar brake pads for my new ultimates (well, 2nd hand but as new), after reading great reviews I thought I would get some at a great price.

I am thinking of giong for the Kevlar compound (worth a go) for £9.99

My question is that for one brakes worth or two?

and has anyone used the Kevlar compound, what are they like?

Comments

• anyone???

just need to know whether to order 'x2' or just one???
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i'd assume a set is per end not whole bike and if it is a whole bike you got spares

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Liftman
    Liftman Posts: 55
    Cheesey wrote:
    I am going to order some superstar brake pads for my new ultimates (well, 2nd hand but as new), after reading great reviews I thought I would get some at a great price.

I am thinking of giong for the Kevlar compound (worth a go) for £9.99

My question is that for one brakes worth or two?

and has anyone used the Kevlar compound, what are they like?

They are sold per pair, so you need two sets one for the front and one for the back.

I recently got these and once they are bedded in they are quite good and seem to be lasting quite well in the wet/muddy conditions.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Same as above, nothing incredible, but they work well, should last and are cheap.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    They lasted 3 wet rides in the Peak District(60-ish miles),i've gone back to SS sintered.
    I emailed SS and they've now put a disclaimer on their website stating that the Kevlar pads are not suited to wet/gritty conditions ala Peak District 8)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    ibbo - I saw that comment! Got some as spares but not tried them yet.
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    peak district is like grinding paste. only things for that are sintered pads :shock:
  • ji_
    ji_ Posts: 38
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    peak district is like grinding paste. only things for that are sintered pads :shock:

Agreed - there are few pads that can stand up to that - my last peaks outing ate my Hayes pads (proper Hayes ones too) in a few hours.

Dalby in the wet can also eat pads - all that sand!

www.louthnet.com/LAMB - Louth Area Mountain Bikers
    www.louthnet.com/LAMB - Louth Area Mountain Bikers
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If i bed in the SS Sintered on my Avid Juicy Ultimates i can usually get about a dozen or so rides in winter/usual conditions :D
    Just bought some Hope Tech M4s,so i'll see how they fair out there.My mates have lasted yonks 8)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i've got the sintered pads, had them on for about 3 months now and have had no problems :D
  • Hello, we do 3 different compounds for different conditions and personal riding style. I run the organics for the best power and feel, but try the kevlar if you want longer life and similar feel and power. Obviously if you live in the peaks where it is famous for "millstone grit" (ie the most abrasive conditions in the UK) then a rock hard pad like sintered would be the best.

Try them if you dont like them in 45 days you can have your money back.

Ta, Superstar