Beddgelert

krazykayaker
krazykayaker Posts: 109
edited October 2009 in Routes
Going to Beddgelert at the weekend

does anyone know of any decent singletrack in the area (apart from Llandegla, Marin, CYB etc!)

Was really looking to find some quiet stuff (not trail centre)

Any Ideas???
On One Inbred 456
On One Inbred SS

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's some trails in Beddgelert forest. I haven't been there for years, but apparently, they're supposed to be pretty good.
    Last time I rode there was the mid-nineties, and it was just boring fireroad stuff. Need to pay a visit, methinks.
  • Thanks for that, I'll go looking !!

Beddgelert forest is only about 1.5 miles from where we are stopping :)
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ok cool. Well, if you head out from beddgelert towards Rhyd Ddu / Waunfawr, then you should pass an entrance to the forest, there should be a sign there that says "beics Beddgelert" or something. Apparently, that's how you get onto the trails.

If you fancy a bit of an epic, there's also paths up Snowdon starting from Rhyd Ddu. You could start from there, go up the mountain, then cut across, and descend into Llanberis. If you do that, remember to pack for all eventualities though, the weather has been pretty cold here recently, and it can change very quickly on the mountains.
  • I really fancy Snowdon but i'll be totally honest

I'm not fit enough :cry:

Maybe next year :D

i've been up Snowdon and surrounding hills walking more times than i can remember (crib goch Tryfan, glyders, carneddau etc) so should be ok in the " be prepared" dep't, but thanks for mentioning it incase others aren't so prepared

I'll let you know how we get on

Thanks for the reply
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • Darra8
    Darra8 Posts: 721
    The forest trails are OK, but as said, mostly fire roads. The scenery is fantastic though. You pass a lake in the middle of the forest where you can stop and have a bite to eat at the picnic tables. If you call in and see Peter, the guy who owns/runs the bike shop, he will give you a map of the trails. The easy fire road route is way marked, but I think the others are number marked to make it easier to find your way around too.

If your that close, you have to give it a go. I've been a few times this year and love it there :D
    40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    have a look here......

https://shop.bike-fax.com/catalog/index ... 00bd6d4fa9

Bwlch Cwm Llan and Llewelyns loop are in the Beddgelert area. Haven't got round to doing these rides yet but they do look good

Stu
  • Thanks for that :)
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Beddgelert Forest: Mostly fire roads, best single track is Section 36, was called Section 34 until recently. Very wet, slatey, roots, baby heads towards the end. Deepish troughs at the start. Short, sweet and technical. ( Park by the big wooden art structure that looks like a bad wigwam or whale bones stuck together.)

You can do a f/road circuit, anti-clockwise and then descend to the lake. Then, stick to the high f/roads heading south, which take you to the caravan site.
    ( There's a bit that they "sanitised" recently with slate, but goes steepish down and over an old river bed. Bit technicalish, but not as bad as before. Then into a dark wooded greasy section. ( Most of the singletracks are Footpaths...There, I've warned you.)

Total trip, bout 1hr 15 mins for me, about 2 hrs if you get lost!

B'gelert was the longest DH in the UK. 12 mins for the ladies/9 for the men.
    Oh...the Good Ol' Days!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Shoot! Just remembered. There's some newish Black/Yellow metal gates and wooden gates now, Wooden ones are for crossing the new Narrow Gauge Railway.
    They are not well placed, and are at the end of some DH fire roads, or on corners.

Metal gates are locked to stop cars etc. Just take care, dude...