GRRRRRRRR!

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
I know I should be used to it by now, but it still gets my goat when I have right of way and a car driver turning onto the road from a right-hand junction can't wait those few seconds for me to pass and instead tries a tight radius turn to squeeze in. It doesn't work as they invariably end up nearly knocking you off. My usual cheery shout of "HELLO I'M HERE!" didn't work so I let loose a full-throated " DID YOU NOTICE ME W@NKSPLATTER!?" instead. The car came to an embarrsed halt this time, but I wonder how long it will be before I'm over a bonnet or under some wheels?

Comments

• AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    I deal with this by accepting that car drivers do this. It's not a decision on their part, it's some kind of instinct. As a car driver I probably do similar - I hope not but I probably do. So I just think of traffic as forces of nature that are bigger than me, that people who make decisions. Since I took up this approach my blood pressure has fallen considerably I think.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    AndyRubio wrote:
    I deal with this by accepting that car drivers do this. It's not a decision on their part, it's some kind of instinct. As a car driver I probably do similar - I hope not but I probably do. So I just think of traffic as forces of nature that are bigger than me, that people who make decisions. Since I took up this approach my blood pressure has fallen considerably I think.
    Wow - that's the very embodiment of calm.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    AndyRubio wrote:

agreed - i try and adopt the same position.

In addition - in fairness - things change in road situation so quickly - that actually a controlled "tighter radius" pull-out manouver might actually be safer than what is going to happen in the road a few seconds later - who knows. We all have to look after each other. - i've said it before - arguing "right of way" or "priority" is all very well but if you are doing it from a wheelchair or hospital bed then it doesn't really matter than much.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    calm zen-like flow through traffic. Seek out the gaps and never stop spinning the pedals.

Let them come at you and not be where they expect when they try to run you over.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    This morning:

1. Approaching a speed bump. One car coming the other way. Slows down for Bump, car behind overtakes on speed bump. I have to take avoiding action as I now have nowhere to go.
    2. Van stops at side of road, no oncoming traffic, I overtake just as he pulls into a driveway on the opposite side of the road. Didn't indicate of give any prior warning.
    3. Approaching a junction to turn right. This is a turn off the main road, no traffic coming the other way, I'm signalling and starting the right turn, the guy stopped at the line, looks at me and pulls out across my line.

That's a typical day in the BVI. Worst drivers in the world.

No one uses their indicators. Ever.
    We drive on the left, in left hand drive cars.
    Mirrors are mostly for decoration.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    WVM did a three point turn, was he going to wait for me to get past before reversing across a 1 way street to then go the wrong way along it? Was he bug*er, just took advantage of a driveway to get round him without breaking stride.

You need to look further ahead into the future, accept that if a car brakes it will probably turn, and act accordingly.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just expect every car / van to be driven by a numpty and you'll either be proved right or pleasantly surprised. In both cases you'll still be alive.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    keef66 wrote:
    Just expect every car / van to be driven by a numpty and you'll either be proved right or pleasantly surprised. In both cases you'll still be alive.

a sound strategy!

this works well when I am in the car or on the motorbike as well as my cycle!
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Agreed.
    Assume every other road user is a numpty,then you'll never be disapointed
    If you get wound up over the to**ers,there's only one looser
    so many cols,so little time!
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    As a pedestrian today I got hit by a cyclist coming the wrong way up a one way street as I crossed the road. He called me a cnut and didn't apologise for knocking me down, causing me pain or spilling my coffee. I have seen it happen a few times before and I regularly see 3 or 4 cyclists going the wrong way on the same street every morning. Tossers like that give us a bad name
  • A couple of times I've been pissed off so much that i sprayed them with gatorade or yelled something at them. My usual smart-arse remark is:

"Nice car. Was it as cheap as your girlfriend"

I know it's wrong but once or twice I've been pushed right over the edge and it just happened.
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    It nearly happened again this morn! Different road, I had right of way yet another penis substitute tried to occupy the same road space nosing in from a left hand junction this time. I had to suddenly swerve out to avoid the tool, he got a mouthfull of choice Pompey fan abuse as he revved away, I wish I'd been able to take his number but if I did what would be done about it?