Saddle bag or....?

nax-ian
nax-ian Posts: 209
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
How do people carry their spares, keys, phone, etc?
Do you use a saddle bag or a waist (bum/fanny)bag pushed around to the back?
Any major differences in having the weight on your person or on the bike?
Whaddaya think?
Finished

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Small seat pack takes mini-tool, puncture kit, spare tube, phone, keys and emergency waterproof. Don't like things attached to me. Keep the jersey pockets for food and occasionally a map.
  • m8, I use the one For Work and Winter

With this one for My Race Bike

The Ortlieb is water proof, and huge, carries everything you would want to take, I think I may have a family of Hamsters living in it it's that big, this will take all below plus a waterproof jacket and some food.

The Lezyne holds a spare tube, phone, key, Lezyne repair kit and tyre levers. Any food is carried in my Jersey pockets, BTW I will not go out in the wet on this bike, so waterproofness (if thats a word) is not a consideration.

Water and Pump are on the Frames.

So far as the weight is concerned I do not think I makes a difference, but thats an opinion not fact
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    It's much nicer carried in a small seat pack. Mine is equipped much as keef66 describes. You don't forget anything, and your jersey pockets don't get stretched and holed by tools.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I use a saddle bag for tubes, tool, keys, phone etc. I attach a pump to my frame next to the cages.

I used to carry most things in my pockets but they can rub on longer rides, fall out if over filled. Someone pointed out that having an aluminium pump and multitool in my pocket if I fell off would not be good.

So I have a small saddlebag that most things go in. Things that I'll need while pedalling go in the pockets. (Gillet/jacket/ banana, map etc.).

I know it runs the look of nicer bikes (mine is a cheap Trek anyway) but it's about practicality when you're in the saddle for 4hrs or more.
  • I have amedium topeak saddle bag and would never be without it now! The amount of times I have actually needed 2 spare inner tubes is a disgrace (poor weather and drunks in the city centres = lots of glass where I start my rides) and I have also needed tthe room for the multitool etc which I could never take without the bag. I like others above keep my jersey pockets for food, but I also like to keep my waterproof and arm/leg warmers up there too so I don;t have to get off to change....although putting on leg warmers is usually safer of you get off first ;)
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    edited October 2009
    Saddle bag with spare tub, puncture repair kit, multi-tools, 3 tyre lever plastic.

Back pocket in my jacket: Mobile phone, small men purse with money, house key, food (consisting of a couple of fig biscuit or chocolate bar).
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Saddle bag - NEVER - hate those things.

Jersey pocket - ALWAYS - that's why they are there.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    It makes no difference where the weight is and TBH it's not that much extra weight anyway.

I use a seatpack because my multi-tool is hard and has pointy bits so I don't fancy it being in the vicinity of my lower back if I fall off.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Small Topeak saddlebag for tools, spare tube, patches and the like. Mini pump on mount on bottle cage. Mobile, inhaler and food in jersey pockets.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    dennisn wrote:
    Saddle bag - NEVER - hate those things.

Jersey pocket - ALWAYS - that's why they are there.

amen brother :wink: 8)
  • saddle bag, some say they dont look good but then neither does massive bulges coming out of your lower back.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I'll be fitting a saddle bag to mine when I get it.

I'd much rather things were out of the way.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    For commuting in winter I have a baby wipes tub which fits in a bottle cage; leaves the seatpost free to put a light on - I find it the best place, compromise of height for visibility and convenience of being attached to the bike.
    On longer rides I will often use the tub with the lid off for goodies, use the seatpack for tools etc, and still have one cage for the bottle.

Last year on the Etape C I went like this except I ditched the tools & pump, used 1 bottle, 2 bananas and 2 packets of tablet.
    This year, for no particular reason, I took 2 bottles, 3 bananas, gel sweeties and the 2 packets of tablet. Oh, and 2 spare tubes, patches and a fairly serious and heavy duty pump.
    I ate & drank everything and was still cramping and feeling very rough at the finish.
    As for the puncture precautions...
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Agreed saddle bags spoil the look of a bike but then you look a right Wally with loads of stuff bulging out of your rear pockets, which spoil the look of you. You also need to be careful you don't get caught up in the pointy bit of your saddle when standing and junctions or in traffic queues - can be quite dangerous.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    bit of both, wedge bag for things you hope you won't need, pockets for stuff you will use on the move
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    bit of both, wedge bag for things you hope you won't need, pockets for stuff you will use on the move
  • i use the saddle bag, got a topeak one and just about fits my iner tube, ohne, tyre levers and allen key. i dont have one of thopse multitool things are they worth getting?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    wiffachip wrote:

+1
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Ive got a topeak small saddle bag. This has a tube, 3 levers, puncture kit, space for phone and keys.

I've also got a small profile design bento box on the top tube (from Tri's) this again is large enough to carry a few items in as well. http://www.excelsports.com/image200/Pro ... %20Box.jpg
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    It all depends on the duration/distance of your ride.

A ride of an hour or two a 'Topeak' bag is fine for carrying the essentials; i.e spare tube, repair outfit, allen keys, et al.

A sportive, or an Audax event of greater distance, or time sees me using a bar bag.

My road bike, fitted with a 'Topeak' bag here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41489547@N ... 041979971/
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Flasher wrote:
    wiffachip wrote:

+1

+1 more
  • NervexProf wrote:
    It all depends on the duration/distance of your ride.

A ride of an hour or two a 'Topeak' bag is fine for carrying the essentials; i.e spare tube, repair outfit, allen keys, et al.

A sportive, or an Audax event of greater distance, or time sees me using a bar bag.

My road bike, fitted with a 'Topeak' bag here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41489547@N ... 041979971/

that bike is gorgeous :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    that bike is gorgeous :D

+1 beautiful job. Just been through the slideshow a couple of times. The mixed herbaceous border is quite impressive too.
  • daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    +2

i LOVE the look of your bike. uber cool

ive so far done a few hundred miles without carrying an inner tube or anything p%^@£$er related. i realise its only a matter of time before i get caught out, hence why im now about to leave for my LBS to buy some!
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Thanks 211dave, dave and keef for your kind compliments. The frame dates back to 1988.

The border is all my wife's handiwork. I will pass on your compliment to her.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • I got a topeak small aero wedge and can cram loads in - puncture kit, co2 cannister, snowboard lock (small and does the job for my bike). It's got compression straps on it which tidies it up once everything is in.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    well im going to throw in a wild card. I've used a Camelbak for years (rocket model which they dont make anymore), can't stand the look of a saddle-bag (dam am vein lol) . Even a smallish one can hold loads of stuff - even cram a waterproof in...now that would look silly in a jersey pocket ! I can carry 2ltrs so dont need to stop to fill up...bonus! Tools and even pump are inside as they dont get road s**T thrown all in them, and I can clip a light to the outside for winter. They take some getting used to, and yes you get a little hotter (tho in winter thats not an issue) but far way out the cons. For racing tho I wouldn't bother as its overkill.
    Use a slightly larger one for commuting and can just about squeeze my shirt and trousers in!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    very nice bike :)

I wouldn't recommend a camelbak for a road bike, as you are more stretched out the weight sits on your lower back and it can get sore

I have a wedge bag and you'd be surprised how much you can get in them.
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    edhornby wrote:

I wouldn't recommend a camelbak for a road bike, as you are more stretched out the weight sits on your lower back and it can get sore

well Ive used one for road for 5years...and mtb for around 10...I dont hang around and it doesn't slow me down :-).
    Got to set it up properly tho...Oh and its even more aero (mine is at least) :-)
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    A small wedge bag, it's the only way to go.