Angelsey with pics

jay12
jay12 Posts: 6,306
edited October 2009 in MTB general
very good forest/beach ride. It's hardwork riding in the sand :lol: .
very windy on the beach but sunny all the time
for the pics follow this linkhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/jayapanaspics/sets/72157622459924495/

Comments

• jay12
    Some nice pics mate :)
  • Nice photos , looks like the East Lothian coastline where I live. The menai straits area is really nice .
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    looks like newborough beach, am I right?

I've been told theres some good riding there but never got round to giving it a blast. Good fishing there too 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Looks nice Jay, good bit of trail I can see :D

Glad you had good weather, and dry trails, wish my trails were more sandy :roll: :lol: [/img]
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Is it any good? My old man is from those parts and always been bored when ive went, but if bikings decent then i might give it another go!
  • jay12
    stanfree wrote:
    Nice photos , looks like the East Lothian coastline where I live. The menai straits area is really nice .
    cheers. i think it is, right next to the entrance to menai strait
  • jay12
    scale20 wrote:
    looks like newborough beach, am I right?

I've been told theres some good riding there but never got round to giving it a blast. Good fishing there too 8)
    i think it is, close to Niwbwrch and menai strait. yes it's pretty good but you have to know the place quite well to enjoy it to the max :D . not that good fishing in IMO. been there fishing like 10 times and cught lots of dogfish(BOOOOOO). moelfare on the other side of angelsey is amazing for mackerel, pollock and flounder
  • jay12
    heez29 wrote:
    Is it any good? My old man is from those parts and always been bored when ive went, but if bikings decent then i might give it another go!
    yeah, good XC area IMO. as i said before you have to know the place to enjoy it the most
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    jay12 wrote:
    not that good fishing in IMO. been there fishing like 10 times and cught lots of dogfish(BOOOOOO). moelfare on the other side of angelsey is amazing for mackerel, pollock and flounder

Newborough's a very cheeky Bass mark if you know where to go! :wink::wink::wink:

I might look at getting up there on the bike for a spin.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Park opposite the Malltraeth bird hides, for free. Good fire roads south, then take the r/hand junction towards the sea. This takes you towards the lighthouse/historic area, but no riding on the island tho! ( High tide cuts the island off...)

Circumnavigate the beach/and or use the singletrack towards the main forest car park. Then it's a great ride to the far east of the beach/sand dune area: Swoopy and sandy in places. Head north towards the main road via gravel tracks.

Then I turn back West via the forest proper, getting back to Malltraeth via s/track again.
    About 1.5 hrs steady, 2 hrs if exploring new tracks. Anti-clockwise I find is best route.

Amazing views from the Llyn Peninsular to Conwy. Mountains everywhere!!!
    If it's midweek, during school time, you'll see no one around and have it all to yourself.
    Stay off the "special sites of scientific interest" and you'll be fine.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that'll be malltraeth forest leading onto newborough beach. Niwbwrch = Welsh for Newborough.

Ridden there a few times with my sister, or other non-riders. Honestly very boring, although there are some drop offs at the sides of the trail to entertain yourself with occasionally.
    Very pretty though, and a pleasant day out.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Not so boring today...mans body found washed up on the beach apparently.
    Police say nothing suspicious about it.

What the hell does that mean?
  • Anonymous
    Splottboy wrote:
    Not so boring today...mans body found washed up on the beach apparently.
    Police say nothing suspicious about it.

What the hell does that mean?
    Remember about two years ago, they found a woman's body, strangled, burnt, and dumped in a wheelie bin? They said that was "not suspicious circumstances" either.
    Makes me wonder if the chief of police is bumping people off :shock:
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Interesting thread. I go up to Anglesey a few times a year visiting family there and have recently started chucking the bike in the car and have done the Marin the last couple of times. I will have to give this area a try.....may even be able to bunny hop a few bodies for entertainment. :shock: Sorry, bad taste. :oops:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Anonymous
    handful, as pleasant as the area is, I wouldn't bank on Anglesey for your MTBing kicks, when some of the best trails in the country are within driving distance.
  • handful
    :lol: Thanks Mcgee, parhaps I will revert to my original plan of doing Penmachno next time I go up. Still it might be useful to get me out of the house for an hour if the visit gets a bit too stressful!!
    Orbea Rise
  • Anonymous
    The weather in anglesey is always better than the mainland, and their beaches are fantastic. Definitely worth a visit, but not for MTBing. Mind you, there is an old quarry that I know of there that I have to go and have a play in sometime.
  • handful
    I know where you mean, Parys Mountain. That is about 2 miles away from where I stay, have walked the dog there before but can't remember what it might be like to ride. It looks a bit like a moonscape and looks like it would hurt if you fell off!
    Orbea Rise
  • Anonymous
    meh. It always hurts when you fall off. An yes, that's the place. Apparently, you are allowed to ride there too.
    I've spent years playing in the old slate quarries, but it really shreds your tyres. Falling off on a slate quary is also like falling down a cheese grater - not good. So Parys Mountain looks good :D
  • I was going to go there, except I remembered that some of the pools are acidic to a Ph of 1, so wouldn't do my Mavic's any good- unless i washed them down damn quickly. :roll: Loads of trails up there. Give me a PM McGee if you decide to go, I'll take tub of water, or the wifes bike :wink: !!
  • Anonymous
    Ph1? seriously? wouldn;t that be acidic enough to melt through anything, most footwear included? :shock:
  • zog
    zog Posts: 46
    Was on Newborough last week, its our favorite beach, something very mystical about it and a walk out onto the headland is well worth it.
    We've never taken the bikes as most of our time is spent in the water or on the beach and if we did take bikes it would be road bikes every time.We allways stay just south of Rhosneiger at Cable Bay, arm chair sunset veiwing most evenings last week....
  • Ph1? seriously? wouldn;t that be acidic enough to melt through anything, most footwear included? :shock:

EXACTLY! :shock:
  • Anonymous
    holy crap. I'm scared of going anywhere near it now.
  • holy crap. I'm scared of going anywhere near it now.
    Ha! Just don't stop in any puddles- it's a job to cycle on half moon shaped wheels!! :D:D
  • Nice flicks there, looks like a great scenic trail.
  • Anonymous
    Stop in the puddles? bloody hell, I don;t even want PH1 splashed on any part of my body. I spilt a tiny, tiny amount of battery acid on my overalls in my old job, and it burnt through them, through my T-shirt, and burnt my skin a bit.