FLU - not just manflu but Oh my god FLU !!!!

Campervan27
Campervan27 Posts: 137
edited October 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I am dying.... 3 weeks of feeling like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards and then trampled over by the New Zealand front row does not seem to be getting better.
Eventually, went to the quack's who gave me a ventolin inhaler to help clear a bronchial infection??!! I just wanted some antibiotics (which yes I did say to him) and he chose to ignore... why??
Anyway, got p*ssed off with the situation and did a 20 mile x country on the iron horse, which wasn't the best plan because now I feel even worse!
Any advice to clear it through??? Doctors, old wives tales, herbal loonies all responses will be wholeheartedly welcomed... I just want to feel me again (that's not a rude connotation) :cry:
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rest man! Bit of fresh is good air, but for flu and heavy infections heavy exercise can make you worse or even be dangerous!

If your chest infection is from a virus, then antibiotics are useless. A good rememdy is a cough expectorent (not suppressant) as it will loosen up the crap and make it easier to cough up.

Apart from that, plenty of fluids and take something like paracetamol for high temp and headaches. Always check what stuff like Lemsip has if you are taking that.

I started with a nasty cough and cold last week and is now on my chest. Feeling grim :-(
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    supersonic wrote:
    If your chest infection is from a virus, then antibiotics are useless

Seconded - it's a common misconception that antibiotics are the be-all and end-all - and it's partly patient's ignorance to this that has led many doctors to erroneously prescribe antibiotics just to shut patients up and make them go away?

And that's part of the reason as to why we now have MRSA, VRSA and C.Diff running amock.

If your lungs are full of crap, you need to get the crap out - definitely take it easy - when you cough stuff up, cough it into a tissue and dispose. Then wash your hands. Try not to cough it up and swallow it - you want that stuff completely out of your system.

Then rest some more - and eat lots of fruit and veg (can't hurt!)

Stay off the bike until your chest stops feeling tight + a week.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Thanks for replys guys. Still feel rubbish and just want to sleep all of the time. Seems to get to a point then stop getting better. Will I be like this forever?? I feel like my Gran saying pardon all of the time.!!!
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
  • Eventually, went to the quack's who gave me a ventolin inhaler to help clear a bronchial infection??!! I just wanted some antibiotics (which yes I did say to him) and he chose to ignore... why??

"Antibiotics: When They Can and Can't Help"
    http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen ... t/680.html
    Tawa Off Road Riders Club
    http://torrcinc.ning.com

"Pain is just weakness leaving the body"
  • Update on Health as is today..... I can breath,...... when I ram a great big snot remover up my nose that feels like its going to blow the top of my bonce off!!!
    Apart from that still work out and feeling crappy, Best bit is I have infected half the office, so now if they didn't feel sorry for me, they will have to feel soirry for themsleves.
    Staying off the bike until next week... as advised previously (thanks again) getting fat on chips, slop and chocolate !!
    Better to be Dead and cool, than alive and uncool !! :twisted:
  • Update on Health as is today..... I can breath,...... when I ram a great big snot remover up my nose that feels like its going to blow the top of my bonce off!!!
    Apart from that still work out and feeling crappy, Best bit is I have infected half the office, so now if they didn't feel sorry for me, they will have to feel soirry for themsleves.
    Staying off the bike until next week... as advised previously (thanks again) getting fat on chips, slop and chocolate !!
    Better to be Dead and cool, than alive and uncool !! :twisted:
  • A high dose of Vit C can 1/2 the duration of a cold... works for me, I usually drink a litre of pure Oj at the 1st sign of a cold!
  • I've been filling up with Berocca ... didn't even touch the sides mate !! This was a nasty virus., Didn't harm the kids thank goodness, or the wife (never mind) but flattened me and my Dad (must be Campervan 27 disease!!)
    Ney worries, I'm at the end of it now, soon to be back on Iron Horse and banging out some serious night time winter trail action !!

Yeah Baby Yeah !!!
  • Now its something new... sinusitis, thankfully was a mountainbiker who commented, "I've seen you up the mountains!!", I replied, "hopefully on a bike?"
    She was great, checked ears with and"urgh" and then gave me some antibiotics to clear it all up.... so there you go virus people no antibiotics clan... I needed them after all due to a misdiagnosis !!
    :roll:
  • supersonic
    I've got sinusitus too. Just clearing up. It did follow on from a heavy cold as it often does.
  • Mate, I'm into week 4 and I am fairly healthy, 100 miles + a week plus 4 sportives last year in sub 7 hours. Love the woods though and have been desperate to get back out on the Iron Horse since 28th Sept. So much so, tried it last saturday before and it nearly killed me.

We can be the sinusitus gang !! I do feel better than I did though.

Get well dude !
  • supersonic
    Cheers!

I keep getting crackling nosies in my sinuses as air shifts lol. And blowing out congealed blood and pus, yuk!