First Clipless moment

GamingAddict
GamingAddict Posts: 26
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
So it finally happened but took nearly 3 months.

Coming up to the lights, slowed down thought they would change, getting closer and closer thinking 'they'll change in a second', before I knew I was at the light, still red, at a standstill thinking 'bugger', got me left foot out thinking i was saved and the bike fell right leaving me in a crumpled heap on the floor. :oops:

Luckily only a graze on me knee but my pride was hurt pretty bad, main road traffic light with a work collegue in a car behind me (which I only realised this morning due to a comment). :cry:

Still I feel like I have finally arrived as a clipless cyclist, bring on the next one!! :twisted:

GA
New to the Game

FCN 8
SP Tricross, Mudguards, Rack, SPD's and Baggies, Panniers.
May have to grow a beard to make up for my lack of fitness.

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I had my second one ever a few weeks back after about 10 years of riding clipless. I was stopped looking at a friends map, both wheels on the pavement, I fell into the road, big big arsebruise.
    They only ever happen when you're not concentrating.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:
    They only ever happen when you're not concentrating.

Or been in them so long, you've forgotten they aren't normal shoes...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • :lol::lol::lol:

So did anyone ever learn to walk as a child without falling over once or twice ..........
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...got me left foot out thinking i was saved and the bike fell right leaving me in a crumpled heap on the floor. :oops:
    GA

...ahhh! the "sundial" ...a classic clipless pose! :wink:
    sundial0501.jpg
    Cycling weakly
  • richor
    richor Posts: 34
    Should get my new pedals and shoes next month so will be joining the fall over gang
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    So it finally happened but took nearly 3 months.

Coming up to the lights, slowed down thought they would change, getting closer and closer thinking 'they'll change in a second', before I knew I was at the light, still red, at a standstill thinking 'bugger', got me left foot out thinking i was saved and the bike fell right leaving me in a crumpled heap on the floor. :oops:

Luckily only a graze on me knee but my pride was hurt pretty bad, main road traffic light with a work collegue in a car behind me (which I only realised this morning due to a comment). :cry:

Still I feel like I have finally arrived as a clipless cyclist, bring on the next one!! :twisted:

GA

LOL! Almost happened to me last night. Bike fell to the right but just managed to get my clip off and stop before hitting the deck. Think I've pulled a mucle so on the train today. :(

Probably would have been less painful if I'd landed in a heap!
  • The first time I did it was at the end of our road and my immediate response after smacking into the tarmac was leaping back to my feet as fast as possible and looking round to check whether any of my neighbours had seen me.

Such a donkey .... :):):)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Yep, it's like a rite of passage.
    :wink:
    happened to me within 24 hours of fitting my first (ever) clipess pedals
    what made in worse is that a chelsea tractor passed, and the passenger (looking down) and (sincerely) enquired after my well being.
    What? Apart from the crushing embarassment you mean?
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Every time I read these threads I get scared, I haven't had a moment yet. It has to come I suppose, it's been close once or twice.
  • Welcome to the brotherhood.

Ah the 1st time is always memorable as you start to go.... go into a frantic cyclist shuffle trying to get your feet out and the slam into the floor.

It doesn't usually hurt as bad as you think it will and you know chicks dig scars.

My last one was outside the LBS where i was working at the time with the entire staff there watching waiting to go in......... my pride hurt much more than my knee!
  • Yup its definately the pride that hurts, working for a bike shop doesn't help as it certainly gets round if someone see's you.

It was funny really and made me smile all the way home, have been dreading this rite of passage since i started with me SPD's but it didn't hurt and now I have no fear over the next moment.

It was also the moment when your lying on the floor trying to unclip the other foot thinking why didn't i just use normal pedals.

Still I MTFU and pedalled even harder on the way home just to prove a point.

GA
    New to the Game

FCN 8
    SP Tricross, Mudguards, Rack, SPD's and Baggies, Panniers.
    May have to grow a beard to make up for my lack of fitness.
  • hodsgod wrote:
    Every time I read these threads I get scared, I haven't had a moment yet. It has to come I suppose, it's been close once or twice.

it WILL happen.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Please, please make sure that when you're learning how to use clipless pedals, you never stop somewhere where falling in either direction might get you squashed. I was milliseconds away from this myself - I'd have been killed for sure and it made me realsie that a clipless moment isn't *always* something to be light-hearted about.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ahhhh the first clipless moment - like the first time you have sex

Anticipated and planned for; yet when it's over you find yourself lying on your side; embarrassed, dazed, confused, in some pain and slightly disappointed.

Oh, and inevitably lying in the wet patch.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ahhhh the first clipless moment - like the first time you have sex

Anticipated and planned for; yet when it's over you find yourself lying on your side; embarrassed, dazed, confused, in some pain and slightly disappointed.

looks like i'm still a virgin then ;-) come rather close a few time though!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Ahhhh the first clipless moment - like the first time you have sex

looks like i'm still a virgin then ;-) come rather close a few time though!

Was that intentional? :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I hate the sneaky clipless moments. Twice iv'e done this.
    Approaching a junction trying to guess the lights changing and unclip one foot in readyness as i get close.
    Resting the foot ever so lightly on my SPD's then when i do stop, the bl@@dy thing has silently, and sneakily engaged and clipped in again. oh How I hated that. :cry:
  • d.n.f
    d.n.f Posts: 61
    Fitted mine last night. :D

Probably lose virginity Sunday sometime