The worst thing you can possibly forget when commuting

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
I forgot my wallet! I'm starving!!!

:cry:
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Surely pants and trousers (together, on the same trip) is the worst thing you can forget?
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    No friends at work?

Yesterday I was offsite, so was my boss. I really didn't want to bump into him at head office so imagine my horror when at lunchtime I find him next to the hot desk where my bag was! No way I could get to my wallet!

Fortunately a mate helped me out and bought me lunch. :)

Yum. Bacon and brie toasted baguette!
  • Many a time have I arrived at work only to find I have no socks or pants and have been met with lots of worried looks when I mentioned I was going "commando"
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    That you have a job... or rather don't.....
    Then you end up like Michael Douglas.... Falling Down....

Blazing a trail of destruction across a quiet community, just trying to get home.... no wait, that is normal London commuter cyclists anyway.... (present company excepted)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • office security fob when you're getting there an hour earlier then everyone else.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • that drawing pins are no substitute for well-made bike shorts with a padded chamois?

Socks can be bad. Walking around in a suit and black brogues looking for a sock shop is an odd look.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Walking around in a suit and black brogues looking for a sock shop is an odd look.

and yet one I imagine you pull off with great panache
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Not the worse thing you can forget, but I forgot the way once. Set off and got to the first village without a clue in my head about where I was heading, or why. Which was nice...
  • DonDaddyD
    Forgetting my socks would be irritating. Underwear not so much, underwear is overrated and I like to think (usually on the train) that most women go commando, especially when in pencil skirts (so everyone that gets off the train at Moorgate and Bank)...*

I've forgotten a shirt. That's annoying. Trousers more so.

But a wallet is annoying because (i) I'm hungry, (ii) I can't be bothered or have the time - well I do but its a hassle - going to the bank and (iii) the initial fear that I lost it until I remember that it's in the inner pocket of my jacket.

*I don't know what's wrong with me today...*
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I quite often forget my work pass.

I generally realise this once I have got into the bowels of the building and have gone through the first set of secuirty doors, which trap you in a corridoor that you cannot leave without having a pass to open further security doors.....

I have mastered the art of looking casual when somebody with a pass does arrive though :oops:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Clean clothes - have had to cycle back on occasion!
  • surely the answer to this is 'which side of the road to cycle on' or something equally dangerous, rather than something which is quite irrelevant such as forgetting an item of clothing. Did you cycle in naked or something?

no trousers = wear cycling shorts
    no top = wear cycling top
    no pants = go commando
    no socks = just like when you're on the bike. socks are evil.
    no shoes = wear Sidis
    no food = bit hungry
  • DonDaddyD

no trousers = wear cycling shorts
    no top = wear cycling top
    no pants = go commando
    no socks = just like when you're on the bike. socks are evil.
    no shoes = wear Sidis
    no food = bit hungry

Yeah I can imagine the face of the Chief Exec when I brief the board in a cycle top or shorts mixed with office clothing... Some of these guys get uppity if you wear a suit with loafers...

I can't go hungry for long.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DDD, MTFU!

no trousers = buy trousers
    no top = buy top
    no pants = go commando
    no socks = no socks, deal with it, it's only a day.
    no shoes = wear bike shoes.
    no wallet = borrow a tenner from a colleague.

I mean... seriously...
  • DonDaddyD
    <Classless post>
    DDD, MTFU!

no trousers = buy trousers
    no top = buy top
    no pants = go commando
    no socks = no socks, deal with it, it's only a day.
    no shoes = wear bike shoes.
    no wallet = borrow a tenner from a colleague.

I mean... seriously...

Do tell.

</Classless post>
    Food Chain number = 4

• Dude.

I'm presuming you're wearing trousers?

If you wear a skirt to work, then you should really buy pants. :shock:
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    About 9 years ago I used to cycle the 11 miles or so from Cannock to Wolverhampton on a crappy BSO MTB... horrible and nasty: not helped by the fact that I was even less fit then than I am now. I used to do the ride twice a week over the summer months only (yes yes... MTFU)

Anyway, one day I got home only to discover that I had left my house keys at work. Okay.. the wife will let me in...er no, she was away with her mum for the day on a shopping trip in Birmingham. Do I turn around and cycle back to work and then back home...do I heck. I phoned her, she came home and I was in the dog house for weeks.
  • DonDaddyD
    Dude.

I'm presuming you're wearing trousers?

If you wear a skirt to work, then you should really buy pants. :shock:

Dependant on the length/colour of the skirt/dress (as well as other variables, tights, leggings etc) surely?
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    essexian wrote:
    Anyway, one day I got home only to discover that I had left my house keys at work. Okay.. the wife will let me in...er no, she was away with her mum for the day on a shopping trip in Birmingham. Do I turn around and cycle back to work and then back home...do I heck. I phoned her, she came home and I was in the dog house for weeks.

You sir are man amongst men!

People should worship you.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    The worst thing you can forget?
    That it's your day off!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    That the clocks have gone back.
    That it's Saturday, not Friday
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Keys to bike locker.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • pastie
    pastie Posts: 39
    Going commando versus using cycling shorts as pants - tricky choice.....

I've done both, neither ideal under theatre scrubs!
  • pastie
    pastie Posts: 39
    Going commando versus using cycling shorts as pants - tricky choice.....

I've done both, neither ideal under theatre scrubs!
  • ketka82
    ketka82 Posts: 63
    I once forgot my pants and had brought along a nice flowy dress number. I'm sorry, but in that situation commando is not an option (far too breezy!) . So I went around all day with my shorts on underneath, convinced that everyone could see the bulge of my padding at the back and would think I'd pooed myself!

Never have I been a more productive worker, glued to my chair all day! ;)
  • I once forgot my shoes when I sported a rather fetching pair of bright red and silver roadie SPD's for my ride. I had to wear them all day for H&S regs as I was working in our lab block all day. very fetching with shirt , tie and white coat.

+1 on the work pass - our place is swipecard secure too so I have to beg and borrow every time I want the loo. (my bad I know but work is the last thing on my mind once I get home - thats the beauty of my bike - I get way out of work mode on my ride home)

I suggested a stock of spares once. you'd have thought I'd asked for the head of the admin's first born and wanted funding for a manned space mission to `neptune.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Keys are the worst. I got to work once, after a 19 mile ride in, to find they were not there. I could not get my bike into its locker, I could not get into my shower room locker, my normal locker, my office/desk/draws/filing cabinet.
    Had to spend all day in sweaty riding clothes clip-clopping about in spd's. Looks great in an aircraft hangar. Manager went ape 5hit and H&S were none too happy either. Lol!!!!
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8