Finding time to ride!

JayKingFunk
JayKingFunk Posts: 411
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Does anyone else struggle with this?!

I work in a school and am looking forward to half term next week just so I can have time for a proper ride!

Going to Sherwood pines for the day and it'll be the first proper ride I've had in ages!!

How do other people manage to fit a ride in through the week?! I used to commute on the bike but its just too far where I work now!!
I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    edited October 2009
    you're a teacher and moaning about time to ride? you have 13 weeks holiday a year!!!!! :D

i only get 4 :cry:

i just noticed that you said you work in a school, so yu might not necessarily be a teacher...sorry
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Lights!
    we now do the same rides we always did in the dark. its quite exillerating?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Married, full time job, chores and a kid on the way. Yes, I struggle.

I aim to get 5 hours riding in a week, be that trails or just on the roads, but I don't always manage it.

I have to fit my bike time in at some odd hours. Did a 2.5 hour road ride last night from 10pm to 12:30. It's actually quite nice being out on the bike in the dead of night, but I'm feeling wrecked today.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    How do other people manage to fit a ride in through the week
    I graze during the afternoon then go out after work. With lights and some decent kit it's just as good as any other time of year.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    2 kids, wife, stressful job managing 80 staff and contracts worth over £40 million.

I ride either at 5.30 am or 10.00pm during the week and try for at least 2 hours at the weekend. I've learnt to hammer it whenever I can and increase the amount of time out by cycling to the local shops or swimming with the kids in the trailer at the back. The local pool's a 12 mile round trip which certainly helps out!
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Ha! I knew I'd get abuse for the school thing, I'm a technician training to be a teacher + I play in a band which takes up loads of time outside of work!

I've just started doing a bit of night riding and really enjoy it but have found myself jogging more after work recently just for fitness as its quicker than going out on the bike but I don't enjoy it half as much!
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Job, wife, 2yr old boy, house renovation, sunday footy.

Yep, I find it tricky getting time to ride.

On the plus side, my bike will probably last 10 yrs. :lol:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I ride to work....and take the long way home except on a wednesday which is sacred and go directly home, pick up my riding pack which i prepare the night before and just go...always get at least 2 hours, usually 3 hours, sometimes 4 hours.

Sunday......also sacred....i am up and out before my beloved even wakes up :twisted: and usually get home about tea time.

So 5 days to work....4 miles each way = 40miles..mostly on road, but my long way home goes over Arthurs Seat in edinburgh, so probably nearer 50 miles a week...just commuting.

Wednesday nights are usually in the Pentland Hills, so get about 20 miles in there....
    Sunday....it differs....sometimes big miles, sometimee big hills, othertimes a bit of downhilling at Innerleithen etc....

i get grumpy if i don't get my fix!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.