commuting winter bike

vtech1.5
vtech1.5 Posts: 97
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi
Thinking about getting a winter bike for commuting/training to save my synapse getting messed up, not really sure what to get though I do a 12-15 mile route mainly roads but some dreaded town bumpy cycle paths.
the options:
Second hand trcross off ebay good but still quite expensive
new giant defy 4 ( mudguards possible )
Kona Honky Tonk new (pretty bike and again mudguards but also thicker tyres possible,good when really cold )
or a hybrid like a boardman or badboy ( thinking maybe more stable in bad conditions but faster than mtb )
budget of up to around £650 ?
thanks

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Get a bike like your synapse but cheaper. That way communting and riding your proper commuter will be like training for the Synapse come the sportive season.

For £650 I'm tempted to say get a Focus Varido, not sure on the bike models this year, but given all the price increases I'd say aim for Shimano Sora (groupset) as a minimum.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Ribble Winter Trainer? Or this one from Quest bikes in London?
    http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Quest.html
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    +1 on the Ribble
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    I've just got last year's (2009) Honky Tonk as a commuter (the blue one with the shifters on the down tube), and it's working out fine so far. What's more it was about £650 in Evans so depending on your size you might be able to get a bargain while they're making room for the 2010 version. I think this year's model has STI brake lever shifters but is a slightly lower spec elsewhere - mine has 105 rear shifter and Tiagra rear hub. The 28mm tyres are a bonus too.

The frame bosses for rack and guards saved a lot of hassle, but I would recommend getting the shop to fit the guards if they're full length. If you're looking for a pure commuter, for me it was a choice between the Honky Tonk and the Ridgeback Voyage which comes with the guards and rack: http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bi ... _bike=TRUE

EDIT: I also looked at the Ribble but I like sloping top tubes because of my freakishly short legs. If you're looking at their site beware that it doesn't work in Firefox but in IE you can actually see the bikes (the Winter Trainer currently £749 with 105).
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • If you're looking for a pure commuter, for me it was a choice between the Honky Tonk and the Ridgeback Voyage which comes with the guards and rack

I was going to get the Voyage but the shop were out of stock of the previous years models which were heavily discounted. So I got the Ridgeback Horizon instead which has an aluminium frame rather than the steel of the Voyage. It's a great all year commuting and light touring bike. Comes with mudguards fitted and you can fit panniers to it as well.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For £650 I'm tempted to say get a Focus Varido, not sure on the bike models this year, but given all the price increases I'd say aim for Shimano Sora (groupset) as a minimum.

I bought one if these as a winter hack. Nice bike but had to put SRAM Rival on it. Then added DT Swiss 1450 wheels that came from the pukka bike. Also added SLK seatpost, 115 stem and k-wing bars.

F*ck why did I bother should have just got a frame and fork.
  • if it was down to what i like the look (also quite practical ) it would be the honky tonk but think it would have to be the 2010 with sti shifters but theyve dropped the nice blue colour for 2010 doh ! not sure if i want a full on tourer
    thanks guys